rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
rllmuk

Psp Hardware/opinions

I suppose the best answer to "play games on the train? why?" is "Why not?". And let's not forget the loads of people who use buses. Each one of those people is a handheld console sale waiting to happen.

OK. I will be open minded enough to accept the 'why not' arguement. I suppose it will all become clear soon. I still have huge doubts as to whether there is this newmarket to reach out to.

will be interesting,

Cheers

Paul.

I suppose the best answer to "play games on the train? why?" is "Why not?". And let's not forget the loads of people who use buses. Each one of those people is a handheld console sale waiting to happen.

I reasonably regularly travel from Sheffield to London - about two and a half hours. I have a minidisc player and a GBA - I've used both but music is just easier. Very few games are actually portable though. Listening to a few albums is much easier.

If the PSP can make some fun, short games then maybe it will help - but I imagine I'd still choose music. TV shows are a little more tempting though, but the extra cost of memory cards will probably put me off that.

I always play my GBA lying on my back on my bed. Probably when I'd use a PSP too to be honest.

A PSP is certainly much more tempting for my use though than a DS. I may get a DS if some truly innovative games come out. Until then though its an oddity at best.

Mario & Luigi was my "bus journey game of choice" last year. Metroid and Castlevania don't really work because of the bumpage.

Mario & Luigi was my "bus journey game of choice" last year. Metroid and Castlevania don't really work because of the bumpage.

Au contraire, I managed to beat the BOX security robot on the Metro once.

I remember, in a fit of stupidity, playing Silent Hill 3 on my laptop on the train.

Note to people: if you're going to play a game, don't get so into it that you make a noise when something scares you. The looks I got on that train...

I remember, in a fit of stupidity, playing Silent Hill 3 on my laptop on the train.

Note to people: if you're going to play a game, don't get so into it that you make a noise when something scares you. The looks I got on that train...

;)

While I wouldn't have made the point so anecdotally I think that could be the problem with playing PSP games - if they end up as in depth games you just don't want to do that kind of thing.

Missing stations, not wanting to stop playing etc. are all reasons music is easier.

I just read what you said.

And you are still wrong.

Do you honestlly believe that the people with ipods previously didn't listen to music on the move?

Yes. And I'm right. Not everyone with an iPod, obviously (you're not that stupid, surely?!), but a lot of people. iPods changed portable music, same as how PSP will change portable gaming.

Don't you control the human controlling the big stompy robot normally?

Kinda, though you are technically the Raven (hence all the e-mail you get and general "immersive" attempt at narrative, which is actually very good in all honesty). Formula Front originally was going to involve control and training of another Raven (where you would be the patron), but this was dropped in favour of having two inhuman AI's (trained by a Raven, yourself) battling it out in an arena.

Ok, apologies if this has been done before, but here's a guide I knock-up with the help of my NTSC-uk buddies for producing movies on the PSP;

Ok, here's a quick summary of how to produce movies for your PSP:

Movies for PSP

1) Download this .rar file and unrar it to the root of your memory stick (you can get winrar here. I prefer Winzip in general, and associate only .rar files with Winrar, but it's up to you). This will create a movie folder on the memory stick:

mproot.jpg

The 100MNV01 folder wil contain some sample MP4s for you to look at.

2) Download a copy of DVD Decrypter (for ripping DVDs) and 3GP Converter, which is used for converting the decrypted file into the format of MP4 the PSP reads.

3) DVD -> PSP MP4 guide

a) Place DVD in Drive

b ) Open DVD Decryptor

c) Under Mode, select IFO

d) Under Tools, Settings, IFO Mode, change File Splitting to None

e) In the main window, under Input, highlight the movie VOB listing

f) Click on the Stream Processing, click enable Stream Processing and select only the stuff you need. Typically just video and probably 2 channel Dolby Digital will be fine if its available.

g) Click the large graphic with the DVD -> HDD image to extract the movie.

h) Open 3GP Converter (.20 and above only) using SETUP.EXE (only needed for the first time) and select ENGLISH as the language option, and CUSTOMISED: MP4, FOR PSP (DIRECT, RENAMED) from the list.

i) Select which profile to use for video bitrate, audio bitrate, and framerate

j) Drag and drop the VOB file made by DVD Decryptor into the window

That's it. It will output a .mp4 and .thm file (the .THM file is unneccessary and can be deleted). You can select the destination drive by clicking SELECT during download.

4) If you are having problems with the files closing at the end of conversion, reinstall Quick Time so you have the latest Codecs.

Cheers to everyone for all the links and info on this ^_~

Cheers for your help Treble - I eventually got all my ripped DVD movies to be converted over to .mp4 - it just went on for ages after it had reached 100% in 3GP.

Hope its not too tricky to actually put them on a memory stick now!

If you get that .rar file above and stick it on your Memory Stick Pro or whatever, you'll then have the correct directory for placing the PSP MP4s. You should just be able to copy them into 100MNV01.

Have you got a memory stick reader, or are you getting that USB 'A' -> Mini 'B' lead? I haven't sent files from the PSP to PC, natch, but I have a card reader which is pretty useful :unsure:

Havent got a memory stick reader or a lead yet - going out to buy one of them today -

I take it both of them will do the same job though?

Effectively, yes. Only difference being, you have to have your PSP next to your PC if you get a lead. If you have a reader, you just need the card :unsure:

Also, I don't know what it's like managing files with the PSP, but with a reader you just use Explorer as with any other drive, as per the pic above.

So, when are you going to get yourself a PSP? I can still leave my order open for you, if you like?

Effectively, yes. Only difference being, you have to have your PSP next to your PC if you get a lead. If you have a reader, you just need the card :unsure:

Also, I don't know what it's like managing files with the PSP, but with a reader you just use Explorer as with any other drive, as per the pic above.

The PSP is also treated as a drive, you have to put the PSP in 'usb' mode first though. (This was shown in GameSpot's 'on the spot' PSP handson impressions)

There also seems to be a tool delivered with the PSP that automatically converts other file formats to the MP4 format. You can edit the quality and bitrate settings, drag and drop a video file into it and it gets converted.

Well, spoken to quite a few people about the PSP, and they haven't had that software quite work for them yet. Have you got it to convert a, say, .avi or .vob directly into an MP4?

I think you're referring to Image Converter 2, which is the Sony software dev'd for the Clie, yes?

So, when are you going to get yourself a PSP? I can still leave my order open for you, if you like?

Hey mate,

I actually managed to get one from Yes Asia when the orders for the Value pack were open for like half an hour - ordered 2 from that, got one cancelled, so guess thats cool!

Both the standard and value packs should be arriving tomorrow - thanks for the offer of keeping your order open :D

No problem, bud. When do you think you can ship my one out? Will it be Tuesday? Say it'll be Tuesday! :unsure:

So how good quality do the MP4 movies look on the PSP? As good as the FMV I've seen - which is actually crisper than home consoles - though maybe thats my shitty tv.. ?

It'll depend on the bitrate you use, but going by the photos of someone playing a music video on one (dunno where they are, maybe this thread somewhere), it's about as spangly as the game FMV.

Uh, has anyone tried linking a PSP to a MAC yet?

I'll let you know on Tuesday although I can't think why not. I have a Memory Stick Duo reader for the Mac anyway so I can always use that.

Uh, has anyone tried linking a PSP to a MAC yet?

it should work no porblem - it just appears as hard disk on a PC, so Mac and Linux should be fine

Well, spoken to quite a few people about the PSP, and they haven't had that software quite work for them yet. Have you got it to convert a, say, .avi or .vob directly into an MP4?

I shall try momentarily.

Edit: well, it worked fine - as mentioned before, it hits 100% and keeps going, but if you leave it you get a working mp4 and thm out. The only trouble is, even on the lowest setting, my 89mb divx avi was converted into a 54mb mp4, so i've still got to wait for my 512mb MS Duo Pro to arrive to test it :unsure:

I'll try something smaller later on.

Edit edit: success with divx5 -> mp4, playing on the PSP.

I'll let you know on Tuesday although I can't think why not. I have a Memory Stick Duo reader for the Mac anyway so I can always use that.

cool. I assume just stick it through the USB cable, yeah?