rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
rllmuk

Psp Hardware/opinions

I'd settle for one with a matte finish, but seeing as the front panel's all one bit of clear plastic, it's not going to happen anymore. :D

it would also help cos the gf wants to get one as well to share with our 4 year old, and if she think my boys getting his hands on my PSP she's even more cazy than I thought, with colour coding it will be easy, white PSP in anyone's hands but mind backhanders allround.

I don't think any number of games will do it for the casuals. Because if they don't want to play games on the move then they don't want to.

Photos on the PSP (why?)

MP3's - machine too big, poor battery life, expensive due to large mem card needed. Too many better options (ipod, sony hd-3 etc etc)

Movies - UMD (no way it will take off), off the memory card - expensive and too much hasle.

Navigator APP? whats that?

I'm not saying its not a greta machine (not that I have one - yet). And i'm not saying it won't be a success - but I just can't see where this new market is going to come from.

Other than hard core gamers, gadget freaks and kids, who wants to play games on the move?

Paulie12, this is all true, but the screen is such gold that somehow it just works. I haven't been able to put mine down, almost like it doesn't matter what game I'm playing. I mean I've played ridge Racer before and even though I liked it, I'm not really into the car thing, but I'm on it morning, noon and night right now.

I've shown a zillion people (Japanese) in the last week and they were all blown away by the screen.

And yeah, it is a hassle but watching The Soprano's in futon on wide screen is a new thing for me, and I like it.

I have to concede though that while I purposefully held off getting an iPod to make use of the PSP, I'm already wanting to replace my 512mg stick for 1gig.

I got my hands on a real PSP the other day and its fooking brilliant. You can see vids and stuff but nothing prepares you for the real deal. The sound and screen are superb, it's so immersive. After playing one you're left thinking - who isn't going to want to own one of these? Very impressed.

I don't think any number of games will do it for the casuals. Because if they don't want to play games on the move then they don't want to.

Photos on the PSP (why?)

MP3's - machine too big, poor battery life, expensive due to large mem card needed. Too many better options (ipod, sony hd-3 etc etc)

Movies - UMD (no way it will take off), off the memory card - expensive and too much hasle.

Navigator APP? whats that?

I'm not saying its not a greta machine (not that I have one - yet). And i'm not saying it won't be a success - but I just can't see where this new market is going to come from.

Other than hard core gamers, gadget freaks and kids, who wants to play games on the move?

photo ipod? looks a bit over priced and redundant now i would say.

sony are going to market this machine to the hilt. its success is assured.

the masses aren't currently that interested in handhelds because they have not been targeted to any great degree. they think kid's toy etc. sound familar? sony takes them out of the playground, and makes them seem desirable and cool.

how short sigted are you people?

How do you know casual gamers don't want to play games on the move? Surely you didn't miss the inexplicable phenomenon that was Nokia Snake?

I don't know. I just don't think they want it.

Yeah - Snake on a phone for free - no probs. 150 quid and 30 quid a game? Nah.

Yeah - Snake on a phone for free - no probs. 150 quid and 30 quid a game? Nah.

People pay a lot extra for phones which do more than let you talk and text. Shows the public is willing to pay for gadgets, then the ipod took off and digital cameras are now the norm.

Portable gadgets are in.

The PSP is just that.

The fact that people buy phones with cameras in them and digital cameras and ipods does not mean that there is a huge untapped market of adult casual gamers who are going to rush out and buy a PSP.

The fact that people buy phones with cameras in them and digital cameras and ipods does not mean that there is a huge untapped market of adult casual gamers who are going to rush out and buy a PSP.

wat

Agreed, they're a different prospect from a handheld games machine. The market's different, especially when you consider software (most iPod owners already own all the "software" they need to enjoy the system, and merely need enticing by features; in comparison the PSP needs to entice people with its features and software).

i'm just guessing paulie you don't work in marketing. :D

The PSP will be sold because of the screen. People love big screens. They buy nav-systems with the big screens. They buy phones with the big screens.

You can hook it up to your PC, upload your illegally obtained movies onto it and then show it off to your friends. 'Cor blimey! Spider man 2 on that wicked bright portable widescreen thing! I want!'

That's what I meant with: it's more than a games machine. People bought PS2 not only because it was a console, but also because you could play DVD's on it (at the time DVD players weren't as common as they are now). Now you've got the same thing, but portable and ready to playback all the music and films you can download for free.

I think the thing some people are having trouble understanding is that the level has changed now. It doesn't matter if a core demographic had no interest in handheld gaming. They will now with PSP. Step on any London Tube during commuter times. You think those 20-30 people with white headphones all had portable tape/cd/md players before? No. A large amount of them didn't. The iPod changed the gambit by making the hardware extremely functionable, very cool and offered something new.

Now, my opinion might be slightly strange as I am a Gamer but I never had any interest in handheld gaming. I got a GBA on import with F Zero just after jap release and never got another game for it. I lent it to a friend about 2.5 years ago and never bothered asking for it back. The GBA SP looks nice but the games looked very boring compared to what I coul play at home.

Now I'e played Ridge Racers and the machine looks beautiful. I'm converted. I would be gobsmacked if Nintendo weren't planning a new handheeld right now. And I fucking hate Sony.

I would be gobsmacked if Nintendo weren't planning a new handheeld right now.  And I fucking hate Sony.

my sentiments exactly.

the rules of the game have changed since the ipod.

nintendo don't seem interested in expanding anymore. they just seem to want to fight for what they already have(which makes busniess sense), but seems to be delaying the inevitable.

I second what Stooker said.

I have a DS and am seriously loving it but I believe the PSP is going to piss on it from a great height sales wise, especially in Europe where the Nintendoitis isnt as rife in people as it is in the other 2 regions.

That doesnt mean that the games will be better on the PSP. I am sure I will continue to love the DS for quite a few years however I give it 18 months from launch that we have a PS2 \ Gamecube scenario market share wise.

All Nintendo have to really save them with this sales wise is Pokemon. And thats a damn shame.

Thats just you ill informed thoughts though.

I would say that Nintendo and Sony's armies of market researchers know a hell of a lot more than you.

Hurrah! IGN say that one of the PSP launch titles supports "custom" music from the memory stick in play. They don't say which one though. So at least it's technically achievable.

Ridge Racers has a custom "Disc" when you're playing - i'll stick some mp3s on it later and let you know if it picks them up.

You think those 20-30 people with white headphones all had portable tape/cd/md players before? No. A large amount of them didn't.

Thats a joke. Right? Course they did. ipods didn't make people start listeneing to music on the move. The walkman did - about 20 years ago.

I reckon you will not see hardly anyone playing a PSP on the tube during the commute. Why bother? They have there ipods and the metro. All you need.

i'm just guessing paulie you don't work in marketing.

No. Thank fuck.

;)

Thats just you ill informed thoughts though.

I would say that Nintendo and Sony's armies of market researchers know a hell of a lot more than you.

Possibly. (Altough Nintendos market researchers seem to come in for a hell of beating on places like this). Still think I'm right though. We will see.

And don't get me wrong I will be getting a PSP and will love it (altough I still won't play it on the tube)

Thats a joke. Right? Course they did. ipods didn't make people start listeneing to music on the move. The walkman did - about 20 years ago.

I reckon you will not see hardly anyone playing a PSP on the tube during the commute. Why bother? They have there ipods and the metro. All you need.

2 things: the Ipod cant play games nor playback video (and do any other fancy things the PSP can do, I havent been keeping up).

Also, I think with the previous comment, the guy was trying to say that not everyone who owned an ipod had a previous on-the-move music device; not that the ipod was teh first such thing.

I don't think that your so stupid that you really thought that that's what I meant.

Of course people have been listening to music on the move for ages. I'm just pointing out that with iPod a lot more people do. That's what the machine did for music on the move.

I played my PSP on the tube today. It rocked.

Also, Ridge Racer looks fucking brilliant. Which of the previous games is it most like in structure? (Please say R4)

Also, Ridge Racer looks fucking brilliant. Which of the previous games is it most like in structure? (Please say R4)

For me it plays most like R4 (if that's what you mean by structure) That's why I'm very happy.