Sign in to follow this  
G-Mart

Panzer Dragoon Saga

I'm currently at the last disc and almost at the end (i'm at the bottom of the Tower). I still find this the best game ever made, can't really help it but i love this jewel.

Anyone else here who played through Panzer Dragoon Saga? Opinions? I really dislike RPG's, especially with turn based combat stuff so it's really amazing that i (i really dislike RPG's!) find this so cool. I wonder what RPG fans think of this game ;).

Opinions please :P.

Me neither, i found the graphics 'okay'. One bit that was very impressive was when Azel activated the tower and ..

Click For Spoiler
you had all these thousands of little creatures from the ancient age attacking the grig-orig.

the graphics in the flying sections are excellent for the 32bit generation, the walking bits are a bit ropey. The rest of the game is ace really enjoyed it. But I love the panzer universe... it's worth playing the other two saturn games first.

Cheers

Quexex

How come no one's said "Take it to a Retro Folder"?

I bought a Saturn a while back, I generally don't like the 3D stuff that much though it pulls some nice stuff out of the hat sometimes. Semi-2D stuff like Guardian Heroes is good and total 2D stuff like Story of Thor 2 is really crisp and solid. I'd be interested in PDS if I ever saw it cheapish.

Brilliant game, I loved every minute of it. Its worth playing through to find all the yellow... err... collectable thingies, as you can get the 'final form' for your Dragon, which is well cool :ph34r:

The battle system was fantastic too, really well balanced, and a joy to play.

Loved it, my favourite RPG. Loved the battle system in particular. Graphically the best thing was changing your dragons form and actually seeing it morphing in the game. The Saturn can't really do 3d properly so I agree it was a bit ugly, but conceptually it was fantastic - some great ideas realised pretty much as well as they could be on the Saturn (a next gen update would be most welcome however). The story's great too with a nice ending. Great game.

I've got disc one sitting around somewhere - may have to give it another try

It's such a shame that disc 1 really isn't on par with the rest of the game. The game actually really starts on disc 2 ..

I wish I hadn't sold my US copy for £60 :o I bet I'll have to spend more than that to buy it again. The 3D graphics may be crude but the art design, music and atmosphere more than make up for it.

I played a bit of this a few years back. The graphics push the Saturn beyond its limits but the game design and visual design are superb. If I had a criticism it was some of the battles got repetitive, despite superb, original battle system.

I'm amazed Sega didn't remake this for Xbox or DC. I'm positive it would have been a hit on a machine actually capable of doing those visuals justice.

Maybe I've just not played it in ages but the graphics weren't all that bad - not a patch on how thin Burning Rangers stretched the system, and that was very thin.

Completely brilliant game - hard to get below £50, but worth the asking price in my opinion, it's highly engaging, brilliant fun to play and draws you in to it's mythical post-apocalytic world so well.

I completed it at the time it was released.

Absolutely fantastic game.

Yeah, me too - I've even still got the recipt from Virgin Megastores, on the day of release. B)

Absolutely wonderful game from start to finish. The amazing locations such as the network of tunnels under the ocean and inside the Tower really wowed me back then. And the enemies/boss designs were superb, like Azel (& her dragon) and that huge sand beast thing in the desert cave on disc 1.

I really oughta play through it again sometime.

I've only ever played Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Orta. My friend has a copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta sealed for the Sega Saturn that he is rather proud of, I've never even played the game.

I've only ever played Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Orta. My friend has a copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta sealed for the Sega Saturn that he is rather proud of, I've never even played the game.

Then your friend has the rarest Panzer Dragoon title in the world. :P

As for Saga - A wonderful, touching game.

Utterly captivating and one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Beautifully realised game world, even if some of it pushed the saturn too hard. Better than FFVII. This is true.

You gotta at least play Panzer Dragoon Zwei, its the best of the PD shooters, IMO.

i wasn't happy that they'd turned my favourite 3D shooter into an RPG. i always felt as though the battles would have worked better as a shooter. it just didn't gel. and a lot of the flying around in caves and tunnels became tedius.

overrated.

Orta was a pile of boring shite too. Zwei is still the best Panzer game, for real fans of the series.

:P

PDS is the only RPG that I've ever sat through and completed, and it's the only RPG that I've ever truly liked.

As for the graphics I thought they were good for the time, they worked well and the visual style of the game was pretty good too.

I think that the whole Saturn 3D criticism is overdone in some cases. Sure many couldn't match PSOne visuals, but the graphics could work and on the best games it was functional and for those games (mostly Sega produced) I can't think of too many instances when I was put off playing a game.

I was reading through some docs on the Saturn and from what I could understand it couldn't really do 3D, a lot was changes of rotation and scaling a la mode 7 on SNES/GBA. Plus it doesn't have alpha blending, a lot of games use the sprites with holes in them technique. It was really the last great 2D console though, even the specs say "virtually unlimited on-screen sprites"*

*May not be an exact quote but it's something like that.