IGNORED

Super Mario 64 Ds

Stroker Ace

I've played it and finished it, but it just doesn't work.

Nintendo have done a nice job of transferring the control system to the D-Pad, but it just doesn't work. It's not simply because you don't have the degree of control that you used to (though that's part of it); nor is it that the game is made harder, not because of tough design but because Mario is harder to control. It's because along with the superb level design, much of the fun in Mario 64 was derived purely from MOVING MARIO AROUND. The worlds were fun to explore because Mario was a joy to control, and now, he isn't. He's a right bastard in fact.

The touch screen 'analogue' control works terribly, and should be immediately dismissed. The D-Pad control is accurate enough that it doesn't piss you off, but it's just not fun any more. Pulling of spectacular jumping combos used to be a joy, now it's work.

Furthermore, the few new stages are shit, and adding the extra characters to the mix has done little but muddy the oh-so-crispy clear waters of the original. On the plus side, the mini games rule, and have given me bags of fun.

The game is still brilliant, at heart - it just doesn't work with the control schemes on offer.

Conversely, the D-Pad and touchscreen makes for an absolutely wonderful control method for Metroid Prime. It's a great way of playing an FPS. Furthermore, any worries that such a control scheme might be uncomfortable can be cast aside, unless you have diddy, little girl hands, obviously.

But anyway. Mario 64 DS. Great, great game. Original was better, solely because of the stick. It'd probably be fine for a 3D Zelda game, where the pleasure is in exploring a fairly flat environment, but it's no good for a 3D platform game where the pleasure is in the control scheme itself.

The touch screen 'analogue' control works terribly, and should be immediately dismissed.

Does that make me the only one who's actually finding it much easier to play with the touch screen method then? I'm not far in, but I'm not having any problems at all...

I havent had any troubles that stroker has had, i use the thumb pad on my right hand and the dpad for all the attack moves.

I can move as easily as i could on the n64 version with only a slight lack of control when in a tight spot.

The camera has also been improved slightly, for example on the level with the owl, remember about half way up there was a load of falling blocks and a turning bit of wood? Before the camera would pan around meaning running just left would cause you to fall off, now the camera stays fixed so you can just run left.

The new levels, ive only seen one (wouldnt even call it a level, more of a small section to unlock mario i think) and it wasnt exactly brilliant, so i agree there. But the controls i find work really well, LOADS better than just using the dpad as the lack of diagonals make that a pain.

It's still immensely disappointing that the flagship launch title for a console that's supposed to revolutionise the way we play games is an eight year old N64 title, though.

.::: That's what struck me as odd as well. Reggie all big 'n shit about those new experiences, and then he goes on about revisiting an old memory? :)

That's true, but we have a new Wario Ware coming, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing.

Those three titles alone are worth the asking price of the DS if you ask me. :)

Definitely. I just wish they'd finished Yoshi's Touch & Go in time for the launch, because it looks really special. Not special like that handicapped boy down the road, either.

.::: That's what struck me as odd as well. Reggie all big 'n shit about those new experiences, and then he goes on about revisiting an old memory? :)

They've rushed the release a bit, haven't they? It was debuted at E3, right? They probably needed a 'big' game to launch it, but didn't have ample time to make a whole new one. I want a new Zelda next year, Nintendo.

That's true, but we have a new Wario Ware coming, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing.

Those three titles alone are worth the asking price of the DS if you ask me. :(

Hey you forgot Mario Kar and Mr. Driller.

Also Tales of Symphonia too* ;)

*although this last statement may not be true :)

Thats what happens though when they rush a launch to get it out for the christmas period. So what if it launched with mario 64 it`s still an excellent game and i`m sure yoshi`s touch and go among other titles will come soon enough when there good and ready.

Also Tales of Symphonia too

I hope it's true! I know on the list of in development titles Nintendo released, it had listed Namco RPG :)

Harvest Moon, Survival Kids, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania, Square-Enix games...

Could go on for quite a while, should be some fantastic titles available soon...ish. :(

I havent had any troubles that stroker has had, i use the thumb pad on my right hand and the dpad for all the attack moves.

I can move as easily as i could on the n64 version with only a slight lack of control when in a tight spot.

I wasn't having 'problems'. Like I said - I finished it.

The problem is that in the original, the control system was a pleasure to use. Now it's a chore.

It's still a great game, it's just lumbered by a distinctly fun-free control method.

stroker - put in spoilers the ending, for people getting a psp so we can laugh!!! lol

Yes, because I'm sure nobody who's getting a DS is also getting a PSP. That would just be silly, right? Nobody could POSSIBLY want both, thus giving them access to even more great games, right? Right?

Also, attempting to turn this into a DS v PSP thread makes you the biggest cock in the universe. Congratulations.

Translated from an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto in Famitsu:

Online gaming

I'm sure that in 3 to 4 years Online gaming will be mainstream and we know that we have to move.

The DS will get online gaming sooner then you think.

Square enix and Nintendo is working on DS online..

Those three titles alone are worth the asking price of the DS if you ask me. :)

Seeing the word "new" beside Wario Ware, Animal Crossing and Advance Wars looks kinda weird.