IGNORED

Steam

fragglerock

anyone been stung by Valve banning 20k steam users for ripping off half life 2?

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthr...threadid=185474

Yesterday, Valve disabled approximately 20,000 Steam accounts which had been used to try to access Half-Life 2 without purchasing it. The method used was extremely easy for Valve to trace and confirm, and so there is no question that the accounts disabled were used to try and illegally obtain Half-Life 2.

Accounts also may be closed due to fraudulent activity in an attempt to obtain additional products for your Steam Account. This includes Credit Card fraud, theft of accounts you do not own and using cracked versions of Valve games.

If you violate the Steam Subscriber agreement your account can be permanently disabled and you will lose any products registered to those accounts.

But the thing is, what's to stop you from registering another Steam account? Fair enough, you'll lose whichever retail games you registered in that account, but something tells me people who pirated HL2 probably weren't the type to spend twenty quid on a stand-alone copy of Counter Strike...

But the thing is, what's to stop you from registering another Steam account? Fair enough, you'll lose whichever retail games you registered in that account, but something tells me people who pirated HL2 probably weren't the type to spend twenty quid on a stand-alone copy of Counter Strike...

Nothings to stop them.

But as long as Valve can make it futile...

Nothings to stop them.

But as long as Valve can make it futile...

But then what was the point of Valve releasing their marked CD-key version to the underground then (which I read on HardOCP just after HL2's release was what they've done)? I suppose so they could bandy about their '20,000 people banned' thing. Still, it would have been a lot better if people's credit cards were linked to their acccount - a la Live - so Valve could trace them and really give them a scare...