IGNORED

James Cameron Returns with Avatar

Vemsie

"People disappointed when film fails to live up to impossible levels of expectation"

With shit like Transformers 2 and Wolverine around, the most revolutionary thing Cameron could put into his film is a plot that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

New Poster - Anyone else read the story about Tom Arnold? In a retrospective piece on the guy over the weekend he stated that in 14 months time, the day after Schwarzenegger relinquishes the Californian governorship, he, Arnold and James Cameron will start work on new film. This is a brand new article btw, but I think it's the same story Arnold has been rolling out for a while.

Anyway..

post-242-1249316856_thumb.jpg

Anyone else read the story about Tom Arnold? In a retrospective piece on the guy over the weekend he stated that in 14 months time, the day after Schwarzenegger relinquishes the Californian governorship, he, Arnold and James Cameron will start work on new film.

He's basically saying True Lies 2 then?

But it's the same tale he's been telling for over 10 years and Cameron is on record saying that post 9/11, a fantasy movie involving terrorists and such like isn't something he' be comfortable with. The story came from the New York Times

While James Cameron is working on finishing December-opener Avatar, actor/comedian Tom Arnold has been talking to The New York Times, saying that he will be reuniting with the True Lies director and co-star Arnold Schwarzenegger for a movie next year:

Still, the future project Mr. Arnold said he's most excited about is a movie with a still-to-be-determined plot and script. "All I know is Jim Cameron's making it and Arnold" — Mr. Schwarzenegger — "and I are going to be in it, and it starts shooting in 14 months, the day after Arnold stops being governor of California," he said. "It's not going to be called 'True Lies II,' but it might as well be. I can live with that."

Wishful thinking or is something really brewing? True Lies, which was released in July of 1994 (has it really been 15 years already?), earned $378.9 million worldwide.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41919

Harry,

Again, as always, thanks for checking the facts. I think Tom was joking. There are no plans for a True Lies 2. I don't know about the creative direction thing... I'm always down for a good action/comedy ( actually we always classified the film as a "domestic epic"). But since September 11, I've never felt comfortable generating laughs with nuke-toting Islamic fundamentalist terrorists. True Lies, even though it has a cautionary thread underneath the pratfalls, is in a strange way a product of a more innocent time.

But if we ever do another True Lies, I wouldn't dream of doing it without Tom. He's a good friend and a very funny guy.

Jim out

So there you have it. "There are no plans for a TRUE LIES 2." - James Cameron.

• 2 weeks later...

When's the trailer due for this? People keep telling me it's going to be the thing to change cinema, but I haven't really seen or heard anything about it.

I'm hoping it delivers, but I can't help but feel sceptical.

When's the trailer due for this? People keep telling me it's going to be the thing to change cinema, but I haven't really seen or heard anything about it.

The whole thing about it changing cinema was discovered at comic con to be a lie. It's going to be a really REALLY good sci fi film but it's no Star Wars.

Trailer is due 21st August, 'Avatar Day' is what they're calling it.

Whilst the 3D version is going to be the definitive one, Cameron has been keen to stress that the film must, and does, work without it.
s

But then isn't the whole 3D thing a gimmick in the same way as beowulf? Surely they need to make this technology to be essential for it tpo go anywhere....

Apple have a countdown on their webpage which has the trailer debuting on Thursday.

Apple has starting promoting that it will debut the first trailer for James Cameron's Avatar on Thursday. It was previously announced that the trailer would be released on "Avatar Day," next Friday, but the site's countdown clock is counting down to Thursday, August 20th at 7am.

s

But then isn't the whole 3D thing a gimmick in the same way as beowulf? Surely they need to make this technology to be essential for it tpo go anywhere....

Not really. By making the 3D essential you will be turning the film into a gimmick because you'll just have shit flying at the screen for two hours. The current 3D is more subtle and is all about depth, which whilst adds to the experience is not essential to the films enjoyment. The way I look at it is that it like stereo surround sound. Watching a film with surround sound greatly enhances the experience but the film still works without it.

Film makers would be mad in the current climate to make a film where you had to view it in 3D because it pretty much removes sales from the home market (I realise you have 3D glasses at home but they are crap in comparison to the tech in cinemas).