The Ds Pre Launch Thread

Spunky Monkey

Common! wheres the excitment for the DS, its out in two days!

Ive just been watching some videos off IGN and firstly, ridge Racer. How fast and smooth does a game want to be? I own and have played briefly the N64 version and its no where near as smooth as the DS version. Very nice indeed.

Then i had a quick look at Metroid prime and the graphics again are top notch, thanks to the small screen it looks almost as good as the GC version.

Lastly i looked at the mario64ds website, and while i find the character changing abilities a little off putting the multiplayer looks like it'll be one of the best, reminds me of smash bros in a way with you running after each other and bashing each other to get stars. It also showed off some of the changes in level designs and what looks like to be one of the new areas. The mini games also show off the touch screen pretty well too!

All in all so far its looking very very good and will only get better. A fellow formunite is hopefully picking mine up on monday just before he flys back here, i pray he managed to get one both for me and himself.

Still i do hope a GBC emulator is created for it, i miss tetris ds, zelda DX and pokemon pinball already.

Ive just been watching some videos off IGN and firstly, ridge Racer. How fast and smooth does a game want to be? I own and have played briefly the N64 version and its no where near as smooth as the DS version. Very nice indeed.

Then i had a quick look at Metroid prime and the graphics again are top notch, thanks to the small screen it looks almost as good as the GC version.

Lastly i looked at the mario64ds website, and while i find the character changing abilities a little off putting the multiplayer looks like it'll be one of the best, reminds me of smash bros in a way with you running after each other and bashing each other to get stars. It also showed off some of the changes in level designs and what looks like to be one of the new areas. The mini games also show off the touch screen pretty well too!

All in all so far its looking very very good and will only get better. A fellow formunite is hopefully picking mine up on monday just before he flys back here, i pray he managed to get one both for me and himself.

Still i do hope a GBC emulator is created for it, i miss tetris ds, zelda DX and pokemon pinball already.

I am in Boston next week. Hoping I can pick one up but I have a feeling it will be completely sold out so I am trying not to get too excited.

Too... much... stuff...

I've got Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 on the go, Paper Mario 2 is still wrapped, the DS is on its way to me as I write this and I've finally managed to hook up my Xbox to Live so I've been doing the whole online thing this week too.

It's all just a bit too much.

I think most of us are just trying not to think too hard about it. I have 2 ordered, one from VG+ (hah) and one from Weinberg (please god, let it arrive). I am excited, it feels like Xmas. I'm just thinking that if I forget about it then it will arrive quicker.

A watched pot never boils and all that.

Just recieved an email from EBGames confirming that my DS has shipped to me. However I'm in Florida right now waiting for our satellite to launch. We should be go for today which means I can get back home by Monday to get the DS. I don't know what I'm more excited about...

Actually I do, its the rocket launch. :o

Is Wario a launch title?? I thought it wasn't out until 2005 sometime?

Anyone have a list of titles?

Asphalt: Urban GT

Feel the Magic XY/XX

Madden NFL 2005

Mr. Driller

Ping Pals

Rayman DS

Ridge Racer

Spider-Man 2

Sprung

Super Mario 64 DS

Tiger Woods 2005

The Urbz: Sims In The City

<_<

I'm not ordering one until I find out what the inevitable design flaw will be

Just waiting for 1,000 people to send back their DS' to Nintendo because they forgot to add one of the screens to the initial shipment.

Just like all those PS2 owners getting pissed off becouse of how big the original was <_<

I'm really excited about the DS, since it seems to bring something new to the gaming world. Sure, I'm not that excited about the US launch titles(mainly FtM and SM64DS), but all the upcoming games are really exciting.

I am in Boston next week. Hoping I can pick one up but I have a feeling it will be completely sold out so I am trying not to get too excited.

The game stores will almost certainly have sold out. You should be able to pick one up in Target though, I reckon. They don't push the preorder thing so much, plus they get a shitload of stock, so it's often pretty easy to pick stuff up there that's soldout elsewhere.

Put your zip code in here to find your nearest: http://target.com/target_group/stores_services/index.jhtml

Wario is a launch title in Japan, if I'm not mistaken.

MoFo2

Yeah, its definitely a Japanese launch title, I've got mine pre-ordered already as Japan is the place where I live like. Its looking like it'll be great, but I must say that they should have spaced out the release of their wario games a little better, I still haven't unlocked everything in the last one.

-Jools

... but I must say that they should have spaced out the release of their wario games a little better, I still haven't unlocked everything in the last one.

As unbelievable as it may sound, there are some game-playing people who are not planning to buy a DS, (for whatever reason) and as such not quite as worried about buying another Made in Wario game within such a relatively short amount of time. ;)

Weeeeeell, I'm pretty drunk right now, but I'll add my comments for anyone who wants to read them.

I spent four hours in a car today. My driver was a marketing woman from Bergsala, who distributes Nintendo in Scandinavia. She gave me a ride to and from an event I had to cover for my magazine.

Anyway, she brought along two Nintendo DS machines to the event, and of course I spent the entire trip playing Mario 64 DS on one of them. I managed to get 33 stars.

So what's new? A few things here and there. You start out as Yoshi, and have to unlock the other characters. Remember the rabbit in the basement in Mario 64? Well, they are all over the place. You have to catch them to unlock minigames. There is no green and blue blocks anymore, they're all red, but the characters gain different powers from the blocks. Graphics are updated, some enemies and characters look different and better than their N64-versions, some new quests have been added to the different worlds.

The controls worked fine most of the time. I used the D-pad to control the game, I didn't bother with the touchscreen. However, whenever you need precise control, the D-pad is certainly worse than the N64 analogue control. Where you could turn on the spot while moving with the N64-stick, the D-pad insists on the character doint a running turn, which caused many deaths on the two bowser stages I reached.

As for the so called "new stages" that were showed in the GameSpot-video, these are a little disappointing. The stage that is displayed in the Video, is one of the first extra stages you actually reach. But it's not a normal stage with X number of stars to be obtained, it seemed to be constructed only for rescuing Mario. The stage is not a new world. I visited two other similar stages, and they all played out as bonus stages with a star to be collected in each stage, and not as a brand new world with different quests to obtain several stars.

Minigames: Great great fun.

My conclusion: Mario 64 DS is great fun, and I really didn't want to hand in the Nintendo DS when our trip was over. All the charm of the original is there, and there are loads of subtle differences in the game, to make any hardcore Mario 64-fan want to play it again.

Good night.