Edge Scores - Spoilers Within

kerraig UK

7 is a great mark, for any game. Seven is a good score, really good. In the edge scheme of things.

That's what I was driving at I guess. Kerraig's point about expectation is bang on, of course: but when people are saying they're no longer going to buy a game that they were looking forward to because it only got a "very good" score, well that's letting your expectations overrule your actual enjoyment to a ridiculous degree. It's madness.

Well then if you're not going to score a game based upon the whole it brings to the table why bother reviewing it at all.

But by the same token, you have to take the offline mode into account, and let's say they found it even slightly disappointing (as many have) - how can you award a 10 then?

6 is hardly a good score dude, i wouldn't be too "chuffed" about it if it was a title i was looking foward to.

Five was hardly a good score for Everything or Nothing or Headhunter: Redmption, yet they remain two of my favourite titles. It's not that I'm ecstatic that Edge think it's a six standard game, it's more that I've played the demo to death, so I know I'm going to enjoy it, other reviews have been far more positive, and I know where I sit with Edge reviews usually. A six from Edge basically means it's far from bad, and from Edge, that's a good sign.

What percentage of Xbox users actually have Live? Not enough for the online multiplayer to dictate the score.

but a games score isnt dictated by the size of its userbase. the game provides an experience and if you can experience it or not is neither here nor there.

As for halo 2 being better than halo 1 but still not getting a 10. Times have changed my man. If Halo 2 had come out 3 years ago it'd be worth an 11

Five was hardly a good score for Everything or Nothing or Headhunter: Redmption, yet they remain two of my favourite titles. It's not that I'm ecstatic that Edge think it's a six standard game, it's more that I've played the demo to death, so I know I'm going to enjoy it, other reviews have been far more positive, and I know where I sit with Edge reviews usually. A six from Edge basically means it's far from bad, and from Edge, that's a good sign.

hmmm, you just sound like you're trying to rationalise Edge's rather poor score for Killzone. anyway, i hope you enjoy it as much as you're looking foward to it.

Everyone is carping on about the Halo 2 mulitplayer on XBox Live (which I have played and yes it is good - but I'd still rather play multiplayer on the PC version of the original with a mouse). I'd be interested to know what percentage of Xbox owners have broadband and are on Live though? I'd suggest a small percentage and, for those owners that don't, the ever-so-slightly underwhelming single player is the only consideration.

But, and please correct me if I'm wrong, there aren't any bots in multiplayer AGAIN! (Played it on a mate's Xbox, don't own one myself). I was astounded that the original Halo wouldn't let you add bots in multiplayer and Halo 2 seems to have done exactly the same.

What is the deal with that? Glaring omission or what.

i wish people would stop jumping to conclusions about whether they took the multiplayer into consideration in Halo 2. read the fucking review first, and 9 is a fucking excellent score for the second best FPS on the market. and the best multiplayer FPS  :)

I agree, 9 is a good score, its just that the fanboys are pissed off its not a 10 and the rest of us think it should have been lower, so it seems Edge have planted there asses right in the middle of the fence. The main thing is that the game is finally out for us to play and make our own minds up about it. However, It would be good to know what Edge think about the multiplayer, as the "no servers at time of reveiw" excuse wont work this time and the Live aspect has been a major part of the advertising and marketing of the game, to ignore it totally would be foolish would it not? Looking foward to reading it myself and finding out.

Btw Counter Strike Source is the best multiplayer fps imo becasue you need to use skill :(

EA have a history of receiving average ratings from Edge, principally due to the low A.I...

For me, E.A. have always made "ITV Movie Premier" games; the kind of braindead material you can play when your brain won't kick into gear (after a night out, or whatever). Rogue Agent's (I refuse to call it Goldeneye) score reflects that.

hmmm, you just sound like you're trying to rationalise Edge's rather poor score for Killzone. anyway, i hope you enjoy it as much as you're looking foward to it.

I'm just going off previous experience. In general I don't think Edge enjoy the same sort of games as I do, but a six from them, basically means it isn't broken or really poor.

In fact I don't really know why I'm so hyped over KillZone, I really wasn't that fussed until I played the demo, and the whole atmosphere just sucked me in. I genuinely don't expect it to be anything more than competent, but competent gameplay with the right atmosphere can really click with some people, going off the demo anyway, KillZone has flicked the right switches with me :)

But, and please correct me if I'm wrong, there aren't any bots in multiplayer AGAIN! (Played it on a mate's Xbox, don't own one myself). I was astounded that the original Halo wouldn't let you add bots in multiplayer and Halo 2 seems to have done exactly the same.

What is the deal with that? Glaring omission or what.

Is it cos the Xbox isnt powerful enough to handle bots in its multiplayer without experienecing framerate issues? :)

What percentage of Xbox users actually have Live? Not enough for the online multiplayer to dictate the score.

I don't think that statistic would have any influence over the score. They gave Tempest a 9 on the Nuon, which is only owned by three people worldwide. Four if you include Minter himself. If a game is great they say so, regardless of platform, whether it requires an internet connection or the size of the installed user base. That's how I've always understood their review policy, anyway.

Single player is the same but multiplayer is infinite times better

Halo 2's Campaign is nowhere near as good as the first title.

If this game had the same multiplayer quality as the first, it would've been an extreme disappointment - probably an Edge 6 or 7.

The online mode is what elevates this game into the 'must have' category. Although it could've been better, so not a 10 there either.

That's not really what I said, is it?

yes it is, you said that hardly anyone has live so why bother taking it into account.

It shouldn't matter what percentage of xbox user have live, all that matters is that it is one of the best and complete multiplayer games ever.

Techincally they should be taking Bungie.net into consideration too, bet they didn't even though it's part of the game.

I'm not surprised at the Prince of Persia score. I've only played the demo at Gamestars, but the 'darker' style was always, in my mind at least, a warning sign.

Sure, a 7 is a good score, but I was worried that the darker style would detract from what made the first game such a joy to play for me, the atmosphere, it was charming.

A bit like the Jak & Daxter series really.

*waits to be flamed*.

I agree, 9 is a good score, its just that the fanboys are pissed off its not a 10 and the rest of us think it should have been lower, so it seems Edge have planted there asses right in the middle of the fence.

"the rest of us"? well i reckon it's a 9 and i'm no fanboy.

Btw Counter Strike Source is the best multiplayer fps imo becasue you need to use skill  :)
Gordon you are the Uber Fanboy. we'll have no more accusations from you :(