Am I The Only One Who Is Dissapointed?

Gigga

Marathon 2 featured new weapons and modified some of the ones from the first game which resulted in a worse balance and a few obsolete weapons.

Marathon 2 had new enemies that felt like a fucking joke and that were incredibly boring to fight.

Marathon 2 had a faster and more twitch gaming oriented gameplay, resulting in the game being far more similar to Most Other First Person Shooters.

Marathon 2 had worse level design with much of the charm from the original lost.

Marathon 2 took a great story and completely fucked it up.

I've no problems with some of the fair criticism in this thread, but I don't I agree with a single one of those, man.

It's the only bit of the game where I just said fuck this, and jumped over all the enemies to the end. When you get to it on Heroic, it isn't that simple...

Actually it is. I ran through most of those levels other than the dark creepy ones where it was acually more fun to stand and listen to the sound effects.

Well I've just finished it, and like most people here I'm pretty disappointed. The campaign mode isnt a patch on the first game, and the story is an absolute mess. As mentioned previously, the cut scenes do such a poor job of conveying the story and almost seem like an after thought. The Audrey thing just made me want to stop playing in disgust. Worst plot device EVAH! But I felt the need to kill things after that point so carried on...

Again, too few levels with the kind of openess of the first game (I loved those snow levels), and the game is way too short. I thought the campaign was finally hitting its stride and then BAM! Its all over. <_<

The multiplayer game rocks and I really enjoy playing on LIVE. This is a bit ironic because Halo was always about the great single player game for me, and I was more interested in the campaign mode of the sequel and really looking forward to it. I hope Bungie listen to the criticism of the sequel's campaign mode when they do the final (?) game.

There are some games you finish and you have the "Wow" feeling. Halo and Ico left me with that feeling. Halo 2 campaign mode just leaves me dissapointed. All I wanted was a campaign game that was as good as the first one. If I didnt have LIVE, I'd be utterly gutted.

Marathon, Myth and Halo are still the pinnacles of their respective franchises.

The Spectrum/8-bit game which encompassed ancient Greece and the Viking time period within it's remit?

The Spectrum/8-bit game which encompassed ancient Greece and the Viking time period within it's remit?

No, Bungie's excellent RTT title from circa 1998.

http://www.bungie.net/Games/Myth/

jonny_rat, are you referring to my criticism of Marathon 2 or of Halo 2. Both titles featured new weapons - in the case of Marathon 2 it was the admittedly great shotgun. However, that weapon along with the modified alien weapon made the fusion pistol more or less redundant on all but a few levels.

The new enemy (can't remember the name) was simpler than any of the Phfor and quite boring. The levels were a mixed bag. Some were great, others were far worse than the original. The gameplay was MUCH faster, and the story took a turn for the worse that ultimately led to the joke that was the story of Infinity (I know that Cacky might disagree with me on that one).

Ultimately, with all of their additions, Bungie's sequels should be better than the originals, but with all of their additions they've also lost some of the magic. And no, that's not rose tinted specs. I've gone back to all of their original titles after having played the sequels and I still find them the better games.

I only really started playing tonight in co-op mode. I hadn't read this thread (or much of this folder) before, so I had no preconceptions about maybe being dissappointed. I was expecting it to be great. But I did feel a bit dissappointed. It didn't feel as fun as it should be.

But then a third person turned up. I gave my pad to him and found the game was better while I was watching them play. I was enjoying it more that way for some reason.

Looks like it's back to HL2 tomorrow then.

Well i share the dissapointment. I think the single player campaign isnt a patch on what it could have been. We wanted to shoot marines as the arbiter, we wanted more pitched epic battles, we wanted more freedom and choice over what vehicles and guns to use. What gets me is that the only banshee parts that are there are where you have no choice BUT to use the banshee. I wanted a level like 2 betrayals where you can fight your way up on foot or you can fly up in 2 seconds. That bridge level with the tank you can walk it if you want, but lets face it you cant really cos theres so many ghosts you dont stand a chance. the new Halo levels are genius, but they are too short. The city stuff is wicked but its too cramped. The arbiter levels have a brilliant new play mechanic but its underused. basically, i think its an amazing solo campaign but not what it could have been. And its FAR too short.

You are right about the singleplayer aspect of the game.I'm enjoying it but not near as much as the multiplayer aspect of it all.

Not quite sure but it just doesn't 'feel' right.

I started on Heroic and I'm enjoying it, but I keep wanting to put it down and play San Andreas, Half Life, or Eye-Toy Sega.

Never thought I would admit that.

It's a 7 from me.

Halo 1's shortcomings (repetitive level design, literally repeating levels, the library).

Halo repeated levels in much the same way that Goldeneye did (with its return to the Facility exterior), and no-one complains about those duplicated levels. Halo's repeated levels had very different enemies, you approached them in reverse, and only did a subset of them (not all of the same ground was retraced). The end result was that, in terms of gameplay, each level you returned to felt different than it did on the first visit (at least, they did to me) and presented very different strategic and tactical opportunities. I'm not saying it was perfect: I realise that Bungie only repeated the levels because they were running out of time, and ideally they wouldn't have had to do so. But they made very good use of the limitations imposed upon them.

Furthermore, Halo 2 sees you retracing your steps on more than one occasion (the first Arbiter mission and the journey through the Covenant Holy City for example), and these levels feature much repetetive architecture. So the criticism, such as it is, still applies to the sequel. And as for the Library argument - Halo 2 has several segments with Library-style gamplay (waves of Flood in confined spaces) - just not in the Library itself.

I'd just like to echo the sentiments already expressed in this thread. I found Halo 2's campaign mode to be a distinctly underwhelming experience. I completed it by alternating between the Normal/Heroic difficulty settings but I've no desire at all to go back and play it on Legendary (something I've done many times with the original). It's not a bad game but it doesn't compare favourably with the Master Chief's first outing. Over all, it's a lesser experience.

The plot (or lack thereof) was a big problem for me. People knock the original for being generic sci-fi hokum but at least it finishes with what feels like a natural conclusion. Halo 2, in comparison, is all over the shop. It's not as focused as the original and is a poorer game for it. I don't think switching between the two characters added much to the experience. As much as I love the Chief, I would've preferred to play the entire game from the perspective of the Arbiter, rather than continually alternating between the two (the way in which you'd switch back and forth felt more than a little clumsy, and the means by which the two protagonists are eventually brought together is, frankly, laughable).

A duff plot can be forgiven if there are sufficient thrills and spills along the way. Sadly, there isn't a single moment in Halo 2 that comes close to rivalling the epic beach landing on Silent Cartographer. Likewise, there's nothing that rivals the nerve shredding introduction of the Flood, or that thrilling Warthog run at the end of The Maw. Halo 2's environments are, for the most part, less interesting. I can remember my first run through Halo's Assault on the Control Room, coming out on to that first bridge and being stunned by the sheer fucking ambition of it all. That sense of jaw dropping wonder never quite materialised with Halo 2. I've seen flashes of it, but it's all too inconsistent. More pertinently, there are certain levels that I never, ever, want to play through again (I'm looking at you, Quarantine Zone, Gravemind and High Charity).

Without wishing to appear overly pedantic the texture issues did put a bit of a downer on the experience. You can dress it up any way you want, but it is poor. I don't doubt that Halo 2 is an incredible technical achievement, that Bungie have pushed the Xbox to its absolute limits, but it's disheartening to watch a room literally appear in front of you. Granted, it doesn't have a bearing on the way the game plays but it breaks the illusion of a 'real' world. Halo's environments, in comparison, were rock solid. In Halo 2 every time I enter a room (or even turn too sharply) I'm reminded of the fact I'm playing a videogame.

Bah, I know I sound like a cantankerous old grump and I don't mean to. By way of a caveat I did enjoy individual levels (specifically Outskirts, Metropolis and Delta Halo) but I can't see it getting anything like the kind of replay action Halo did.

While I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than most of you and disagree with many of the complaints listed, having spent a few more days on Legendary, I've decided not to bother any further on that setting as the snipers suck all the fun out of it entirely. For example:

-Metropolis-

Leading the troops down the tunnel -bam! Head shot. Dead. Restart.

Leading the troops down the tunnel, ready for that fucker to pop his head up for a taste of his own medicine...bang. Press on, some Elites behind us, bang bang bang, phew -bam. Head shot. Dead. Restart.

But that's nothing compared to the area with the Gauss Gun Warthog (by the way, is that the only time it appears in the game?). For a while, I genuinely thought there were an infinite number of the fuckers. It turns out that there were around 8-12 of them and you can't really progress until they're all gone. Of course, by then the Warthog has been destroyed and any marines that might have survived the tunnel have been blasted through the eyesockets. Your best bet is to hole up by a wall, carry a sniper and beam rifle and spend the next 20 minutes taking them out...and if you miss just one, bam. Head shot. Dead.

I've read one account online that a player shot a jackal in the face yet it survived. It then took aim and shot at the player, miraculously missed and hit a Gold Elite that was sneaking up behind the player, killing the Elite instantly, despite your own beam shots to a Gold Elite's head not killing it until the 4th or 5th shot.

It's not fun, it's just rubbish. Apparently, when questioned about the lack of snipers in the first game, Jason Jones said it was no fun walking into a room and dying instantly from God knows what or where. Pity he seems to have since forgotten all about that...

So yes, forget Legendary, if you haven't already decided not to bother. It's not the fun challenge it was in the original, it's just a tedious memory test chore.

PS - An interesting little feature: If you hit a bad checkpoint and are stuck somewhere with innappropriate/low ammo weapons or low shields and lots of enemy fire, die immediately/kill yourself quickly 4 or 5 times in a row and you'll be taken back to the previous checkpoint, where hopefully you can better prepare for the upcoming section!

As much as I love the Chief, I would've preferred to play the entire game from the perspective of the Arbiter, rather than continually alternating between the two (the way in which you'd switch back and forth felt more than a little clumsy, and the means by which the two protagonists are eventually brought together is, frankly, laughable).

To be honest, I didnt much like the Arbiter levels and I would have preferred to play as the Chief for the whole game. The Heretic levels, where you have to take down rebel covenant was confusing and annoying. I would have preferred to fight human marines, and maybe have some flashback sequences to the Arbiter's experiences on the original Halo.

I was also disappointed about the Earth battles. I really enjoyed mombassa, but Bungie had hyped up the whole "Earth will never be the same again!", and it was really anti-climactic. I thought the whole of Earth was going to be consumed in a huge fight for humanity's survival, but it just wasnt.

I'd still class the game as "Very, very, very, very, very good" though.

It's not fun, it's just rubbish. Apparently, when questioned about the lack of snipers in the first game, Jason Jones said it was no fun walking into a room and dying instantly from God knows what or where. Pity he seems to have since forgotten all about that...

It's these things that really annoy me. They fucking knew that you shouldn't have enemy snipers in this sort of game, yet they go ahead and throw snipers in anyway.

the start of the elite level where you have to kill about 15 brtues really takes the piss, its stupidly hard. just when I killed all bar one the last one goes mental and just mows me down, you can't really do much against it. no where to hide, and they don't come in waves but at random. I think l'll do this level in normal and get it over with.

While I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than most of you and disagree with many of the complaints listed, having spent a few more days on Legendary, I've decided not to bother any further on that setting as the snipers suck all the fun out of it entirely. For example:

-Metropolis-

Leading the troops down the tunnel -bam! Head shot. Dead. Restart.

Leading the troops down the tunnel, ready for that fucker to pop his head up for a taste of his own medicine...bang. Press on, some Elites behind us, bang bang bang, phew -bam. Head shot. Dead. Restart.

But that's nothing compared to the area with the Gauss Gun Warthog (by the way, is that the only time it appears in the game?). For a while, I genuinely thought there were an infinite number of the fuckers. It turns out that there were around 8-12 of them and you can't really progress until they're all gone. Of course, by then the Warthog has been destroyed and any marines that might have survived the tunnel have been blasted through the eyesockets. Your best bet is to hole up by a wall, carry a sniper and beam rifle and spend the next 20 minutes taking them out...and if you miss just one, bam. Head shot. Dead.

I've read one account online that a player shot a jackal in the face yet it survived. It then took aim and shot at the player, miraculously missed and hit a Gold Elite that was sneaking up behind the player, killing the Elite instantly, despite your own beam shots to a Gold Elite's head not killing it until the 4th or 5th shot.

So yes, forget Legendary, if you haven't already decided not to bother. It's not the fun challenge it was in the original, it's just a tedious memory test chore.

PS - An interesting little feature: If you hit a bad checkpoint and are stuck somewhere with innappropriate/low ammo weapons or low shields and lots of enemy fire, die immediately/kill yourself quickly 4 or 5 times in a row and you'll be taken back to the previous checkpoint, where hopefully you can better prepare for the upcoming section!

That first sniper bit in Metropolis can be completely missed out if you go over the roofs. (is it roofs or rooves?)

the start of the elite level where you have to kill about 15 brtues really takes the piss, its stupidly hard. just when I killed all bar one the last one goes mental and just mows me down, you can't really do much against it. no where to hide, and they don't come in waves but at random. I think l'll do this level in normal and get it over with.

Nah, it's not. Stealth, sword and sticky grenades make short work of them.

Hes right you know - similar stuff has happened to me on San and its bang out of order.

It was the sudden attack of the clipping city that got me the most. <_<

Although this isn't an SA thread, I've encountered loads of bugs that have caused me to fail missions. It's going back soon.

Nah, it's not. Stealth, sword and sticky grenades make short work of them.

well I but it on normal and destroyed them all. this level isn't too bad, but like many say two levels in a row with no human weapons truly sucks.

That first sniper bit in Metropolis can be completely missed out if you go over the roofs. (is it roofs or rooves?)

Sure you're not thinking of the rooftops of the old (or modern day, shall we say?) buidlings in Outskirts, Squirt? The place I'm talking about is the large, openish park-style area in Metropolis/Mombasa, with a Warthog circling some plasma cannon emplacements, a couple of Ghosts, a red and SpecOps Elite, a few Grunts and the horde of bastard jackal snipers - and no immediately apparent way of sneaking past it all (also, bare in mind you'll really need a vehicle as there's a Wraith and several waves of Ghosts in the next area as well). In any event, I can just picture there being loads more similar situations on the later levels and right now, I can't be arsed doing that. Plus the fun of accompanying the marines into battle and keeping them alive will vanish as they'll be dead in moments and you'll be too busy keeping yourself hidden from the snipers to do anything about it.

On different note, I tried doing the docking bays on Normal again - I cleared the second one of all waves of boarders in less than 60 seconds. Amazing to contrast that with the struggles we had on Legendary!

That's interesting. I have to admit, some of the decisions Bungie took with Halo 2 have left me scratching my head. It's as if they've not stopped to consider whether specific elements of the game are, you know, fun. I agree with your point about instant death sniping. While I love sniping those Covenant mo-fos I hate being on the receiving end. That might be hypocritical, but I don't care. Being killed without warning is just not cool. Kool of Kool And The Gang would not approve and neither do I. That's how uncool it is.

E3 trailer opening: the Earth is under nuclear bombardment by a massive Covenant fleet. Mushroom clouds are visible from space. Voices call out for permission to fall back: the response, "If one of those ships gets through, down here it's the goddamned Apocalypse".

"Hold your position, Admiral. Reinforcements are on their way."

Met with incredulity... "With respect, Cortana, what the hell kind of reinforcements have you got?"

The music builds as the Master Chief launches himself, single-handedly, out of an airlock towards a Covenant capital ship.

The finished game: Well, you're getting a medal, and the Covenant attack and plant some bombs, and you get rid of the bombs, and blow up a Covenant ship with one, and then go down to Earth, and it's not really the end of the world, even though there's a Covenant force attacking they're just after one city for some reason.

I think we all know which was the more gripping way to start a game.

Well I liked the game a lot the first time through, but there were a few levels I was dreading to try again on Heroic. However I am now just three levels away from the end on Heroic and I'm absolutely loving the game now <_<

Areas of the game I previously found rock hard have now become a lot easier regardless of the harder difficulty. I know what weapons work well against different enemies, and have an idea of how to tackle each area instead of blundering into the unknown. I only have three levels left to do now.

Now I wasn't really dissapointed with the game the first time through anyway, but from my experience it's definitely a grower.