Davros sock drawer

Pink Floyd

Just watching the Pink Floyd Miscellany on BBC4. Christ, seeing the Fletcher Memorial video for the first time. Waters seriously had to go!

http://youtu.be/AqonCo0A68o

I was surprised the Final Cut was as far back as 1983, meaning Pink Floyd proper really finished over 30 years ago.

Funny that during the One of These Days video I was thinking how irrelevant the video was to the song, but now we've reached post 87 in the Miscellany the videos are by far the best bit.

Didn't even know that was on! Watching it now.

I know people get very dismissive of Floyd-without-Waters, but High Hopes is a fucking amazing song.

God, that last guitar solo. TOUR YOU FUCKER

Wow, that was the most horrendous ticket-buying experience of my life. Refreshed ticketmaster until the second they went on sale. 2x Best Available please. Sorry, sold out. All three gigs. Wait, two more added (like one minute later). Nope, they're all sold out too. FUCKING HELL.

Luckily my missus was at home trying the same thing, and it seems that tickets were sporadically appearing and disappearing. She got us two tickets for one night in really good seats. Our plan was to go the two of us one night, and get four tickets for another night so we could invite some more people. But no chance of that.

Anyway in all the fuss we've ended up with the two great seats and two really quite bad seats. Will see if my dad wants them but otherwise they can go on Scarlet Mist or something.

Of course they're on viagogo now. Tickets in the same block as us are being sold for £1200 EACH. Fucking tout scum cunts.

• Upvote 1

Myself and two of the guys at work were trying all morning on all the various sites and came up with nothing. Seeing that they're now on sale on Viagogo like you say is just fucking crushing. People are such absolute cunts.

If you're interested in selling your other two seats for something approaching a reasonable price, I may of course be interested.

They're circle block V, back row. Basically you can't get further away.

I will ask around a bit and if nobody is interested then you can have them at face value.

The two tickets my wife got are on the floor, eight rows from the front, bang in the middle of the row!

Aw man, I'm not even going to pretend I'm not jealous of you!

Seriously though, I would still be interested, so PM me if they do end up being up for grabs.

Wow, that was the most horrendous ticket-buying experience of my life. Refreshed ticketmaster until the second they went on sale. 2x Best Available please. Sorry, sold out. All three gigs. Wait, two more added (like one minute later). Nope, they're all sold out too. FUCKING HELL.

Luckily my missus was at home trying the same thing, and it seems that tickets were sporadically appearing and disappearing. She got us two tickets for one night in really good seats. Our plan was to go the two of us one night, and get four tickets for another night so we could invite some more people. But no chance of that.

Anyway in all the fuss we've ended up with the two great seats and two really quite bad seats. Will see if my dad wants them but otherwise they can go on Scarlet Mist or something.

Of course they're on viagogo now. Tickets in the same block as us are being sold for £1200 EACH. Fucking tout scum cunts.

It's only Ticketmaster that are the cunts, the ones on viagogo this quickly almost certainly never went on sale to the public.

Apparently if you buy them from Viagogo, the seller has to actually meet you at the Royal Albert Hall and personally get you in to the show. Still, I suppose these people probably would put up with a bit of inconvenience for £1,000 a ticket.

A chap at work seems to have a ticket gouging cottage industry on the side, he's always going on about how much he's made selling tickets to one thing or another.

Today he was fuming because his wife put four Take That tickets up for sale. She meant to price them at £140 each but instead offered them for £14, and of course they sold almost instantly.

I tried not to laugh too much.

Oh, and to get back on topic, I don't think any band has ever had a better run of albums than Dark Side of the Moon - Wish You Were Here - Animals - The Wall. I can't really rank them, or if I did it would be a different order every day, but The Wall will always have a special place in my heart. My first Floyd album - I made do with a C90 recording from a friend until eventually getting the CD for my 18th birthday. And Another Brick in the Wall was the second single I ever bought, nine years earlier.

I prefer the 70s Floyd (specifically Dark Side of the Moon - Wish You Were Here - Animals - The Wall - The Final Cut) (EDIT - period 3 in amanset's floydography), although in recent years I have started moving back in time and getting more into the earlier stuff. I think it was the release of Echoes (the best of collection) a couple of years ago that prompted this.

DSOTM and WYWH are obviously well liked and respected albums as people have already mentioned, and with good reason. So I'll waffle on about the others instead.

Animals is to me the "angry album". It came out in 1977 and is as full of rage, cynicism and loathing as any punk release that year, although obviously sounding rather different. IMHO this is the best showcase of Rick Wright's keyboard playing although of course there is still plenty of wonderful Gilmour guitar.

The Wall was the first Floyd album I heard or owned (it came out when I was 9) and is possibly my favourite album of all time. A quarter of a century and countless listens later I'm still unable to find any faults with it. (I'm sure someone will suggest a few though tongue.gif) This is a truly stunning album, the absolute peak of their achievements that earlier albums were building towards and later efforts simply couldn't match.

The Final Cut is one of those albums where you can almost hear the band falling apart. It was recorded in shifts with the band members hardly coming into contact with each other and the sound definitely suffers as a result. Added to this the theme (I hate to say concept) while intriguing isn't as coherent as that of the earlier albums and so it doesn't have quite the same focus and emotional impact.

After Roger Waters left the others carried on (after a few years legal wrangling) under the same name but to me it's not the same band. They're all fantastic musicians but without the emotional content that Roger Waters brought to the songs they seem empty.

If you haven't seen it, as a Wall nut (ho ho) I recommend the film version of the Wall too, which complements the album perfectly.

At least I'm consistent in my Floydian opinions ten years on, even if not my username.

I actually did manage to get tickets! I put a cheeky post on one of our internal groups at work asking if anyone could help me out - I work for a major social network, so I figured someone must have contacts. What actually happened was one of the developers came over to tell me he'd bought four tickets, two for him and a friend, and two just in case anyone else in the office wanted them. Sold them to me at face value too! Very happy!

• Upvote 1

I actually did manage to get tickets! I put a cheeky post on one of our internal groups at work asking if anyone could help me out - I work for a major social network, so I figured someone must have contacts. What actually happened was one of the developers came over to tell me he'd bought four tickets, two for him and a friend, and two just in case anyone else in the office wanted them. Sold them to me at face value too! Very happy!

You owe him a drink ;)

Well we all have to go together as apparently the person that booked the tickets has to show photo ID on arrival for the whole group. So I've assured him I will most definitely buy him a drink or two when we're there.

Bugger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOoJmDCV64

Footage of Douglas Adams playing with Pink Floyd has finally appeared. It's crappy 90s handcam and the first minute or so is a blur (literally), but the fact this footage exists at all absolutely floors me. As a massive fan of DNA and PF I've had the bootleg audio for years, but seeing that bugger up on stage with Gilmour was a real moment.

• Upvote 2

Over the summer I realised I'd not really given any Pink Floyd after Momentary Lapse of Reason and Radio Kaos more than a second glance, and that the The Division Bell, which I always consider to be recent was now 23 years old. :o

The Division Bell I still struggle with a little. Momentary Lapse, along with Saucerfull of Secrets were the first two Floyd albums I got back in the 80s. Chalk and cheese, but as a result I always have a fondness for MLOR. As with that album though Division Bell sounds way more like a Dave Gilmour solo album, although as I get to know the songs more it's growing on me. My girlfriend's (sorry WIFE'S!) reaction was, "Who's this?" when i told her it was Pink Floyd she said, "Sounds like Bryan Adams." And she has a point as far as slick 90s production goes. Not much in the way of Old Floyd apart from the occasional nod.

Endless River I'm loving though. It's like they've finally made an actual Pink Floyd album after all these years. That it's basically a tribute to Rick Wright makes it even more special. It's chock full of musical references to albums like Meddle and Ummagumma. I presume riffing on bits that Wright contributed to. A great way to end Pink Floyd.

So after those two I've now turned to the post Radio Kaos albums I ignored. Already, after a few quick listens, I can hear echoes of stuff from Animals and The Wall. In fact echoes of those albums is about right as the magic of those seems mostly a memory. Still, I will persevere!

Finally, hoping someone will get me the Early Years box set for Christmas. All that lot will give me enough to be getting on with for the rest of my life. Amazing that 54 years after they got together I'm still listening to genuinely original new stuff from what remains of the original members.

Might even venture deeper and listen to Rick Wright and Nick Mason's solo stuff.

Rick Wright mid-70s solo album:

80's Mason + Fenn now sounds like some ironic retro-modern electronica.

• Upvote 1

See if you can get hold of "Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports". Delightfully bonkers.

Wet Dream is worth a listen, especially Pink's Song.

• Upvote 1

@womblingfree your description of Division Bell and MLOR is how exactly how I imagined them sounding at that point, and why I've avoided post Waters Floyd.  Funny (although not surprising) how they all lost their teeth so quickly after The Wall. I love Dave, he's become a favourite, a genuine contender for the greatest rock guitarist in history, I like the sweet and softly spoken poshness to his voice. But he was totally dry without Waters, even in their best days he wasn't exactly full of motivation. Waters, God bless him, was dried up too by the end of the Wall. I enjoy 'The Final Cut', and think it's largely underrated in some ways. But is a bit of a collection of Wall cast offs isn't it? I can barely contain going on a ramble about Pink Floyd but i'll have to sleep on it and let it go tomorrow.

You've done something I didn't foresee though, got me intrigued by Endless River.

• Upvote 1

Endless River isn't a great Pink Floyd album by any means but it is far closer than MLOR and Division Bell. I think it's most interesting because it's almost entirely instrumental with obvious riffs from their past work rather than the sweet but bland songwriting of GIlmour. The post Waters albums are mostly fan service and bank balance service for the remaining members. They're better than most old rockers late albums I think, but then I'm quite biased.

While nowhere near the greatness of the earlier stuff I like how Waters can still be arsed to be angry and come up with grandiose concept albums. If I was a bijillionaire after writing Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall I doubt I'd be quite so driven.

After watching a making of Dark Side of the Moon documentary I came to the conclusion that it was actually Rick Wright who was the intelligent heart of the band. He came up with many of the ideas that make it such a classic album. When on form, Waters wrote the best lyrics, GIlmour provided the classic guitar and Rick Wright provided the clever orchestration. Nick mason mostly just buys racing cars and bangs a drum.