Davros sock drawer

Pink Floyd

One of those bands I've only just started getting into. Already had Meddle and DSotM (both of which I love) as well as the Pompeii video.

Anyway, bought Atom Heart Mother yesterday, which is great stuff too, and also dipped my toe straight into the Syd Barrett era with Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

It's...a bit crap, on first listen. Scratchy, slightly overdriven guitars, and whimsical lyrics about Gnomes and a mouse called Gerald. Interstellar Overdrive starts with a reasonably exciting riff, then degenerates into a seemingly random and tuneless jam session.

One thing that leapt straight out at me is that the vocal line to track 6 ("Take up Thy Stethoscope..") is almost exactly the same as that Zutons song (You will you won't etc). Bloody tea-leaves!

Any thoughts/recommendations? I have a feeling we've discussed them before a while ago, but I've forgotten.

The bicycle song (about the mouse called Gerald) is hilarious. i had a mate who was really into the Floyd at uni, he had absolutely everything they've ever done and I got quite into them as well, although I got bored of them soon.

I prefer Saucerful Of Secrets over Piper, just for the song Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun really. Barrett era Pink Floyd (I know he was out by the time of Saucerful, but I'm still counting it) were pioneers, pretty much ahead of everything else around especially in the UK. However it doesn't mean that they are the easiest of listening, they do tend to drift off into noodling now and again.

Try one of Syd's solo albums, you used to be able to get The Madcap Laughs and Barrett as a cheap double cd, they are not easy going but they are interesting.

Pink Floyd were awesome up until A Delicate Sound of Thunder.

After that it goes a bit meh

Wish You Were Here is probably my favourite and the most listenable album...

Yeah, Wish you were Here and Dark Side of the Moon are the best newbie Floyd albums i reckon. They are the only two i really listen to now, as well, because they are fantastic, particularly Dark Side. A mate of mine has downloaded some super-dooper souped-up surround sound version and we were listening to it a few days ago. If youve got a good home stereo set up with surround it sounds absolutely awesome.

There are four distinct periods of Pink Floyd and everyone has their favourite:

1. Syd Barrett (1967-68)

2. Post-Barrett Hippies (1968-1972)

3. Roger Waters Concept Album a Go-Go (1973-1983)

4. Dave Gilmour takes over (1987-Present)

Personally I am a sucker for their second period. At a push I'd say my favourite album of theirs is "More" from 1969 and the third period is the one I have the least time for, it all went downhill when "Dark Side of the Moon" was released.

Hit Soulseek and download a fifteen minute live version of "Fat Old Sun" from around 1971. To me that is the real Floyd but none of the live releases ever really caught it on record (for some reason the live side of Ummagumma leaves me dry and the Pompeii video seems oddly anonymous, maybe due to the lack of an audience).

I prefer the 70s Floyd (specifically Dark Side of the Moon - Wish You Were Here - Animals - The Wall - The Final Cut) (EDIT - period 3 in amanset's floydography), although in recent years I have started moving back in time and getting more into the earlier stuff. I think it was the release of Echoes (the best of collection) a couple of years ago that prompted this.

DSOTM and WYWH are obviously well liked and respected albums as people have already mentioned, and with good reason. So I'll waffle on about the others instead.

Animals is to me the "angry album". It came out in 1977 and is as full of rage, cynicism and loathing as any punk release that year, although obviously sounding rather different. IMHO this is the best showcase of Rick Wright's keyboard playing although of course there is still plenty of wonderful Gilmour guitar.

The Wall was the first Floyd album I heard or owned (it came out when I was 9) and is possibly my favourite album of all time. A quarter of a century and countless listens later I'm still unable to find any faults with it. (I'm sure someone will suggest a few though :)) This is a truly stunning album, the absolute peak of their achievements that earlier albums were building towards and later efforts simply couldn't match.

The Final Cut is one of those albums where you can almost hear the band falling apart. It was recorded in shifts with the band members hardly coming into contact with each other and the sound definitely suffers as a result. Added to this the theme (I hate to say concept) while intriguing isn't as coherent as that of the earlier albums and so it doesn't have quite the same focus and emotional impact.

After Roger Waters left the others carried on (after a few years legal wrangling) under the same name but to me it's not the same band. They're all fantastic musicians but without the emotional content that Roger Waters brought to the songs they seem empty.

If you haven't seen it, as a Wall nut (ho ho) I recommend the film version of the Wall too, which complements the album perfectly.

Syd Barret wa sthe guy that went mental and left right?

Yeah, I think he lives quietly with his Mother now, preferring to forget his musical career.

Guest jabberwock1977

When i was at school i did a general studies project on him.. all word for word from a magazine but i got a good grade.

DSotM is amazing, and so are WYWH and Animals. I reckon they're my favourite three.

The Division Bell I quite like, it's quite fresh sounding although it's very dadrock too. I'm a sucker for his guitar work though.

Momentary Lapse - well, I like a few songs on it but Dogs Of War is my all-time WORST pf song. The guitar tone at the beginning of Sorrow is just awesome though. I had a letter printed in Guitarist about how to get it. The answer was just fucking stupid.

Let's see - The Wall was the album that got me into them. I've played it a bit too much and there is a little bit toom much "concept" stuff on there. Again it has some great solos, like Young Lust for instance and of course Comfortably Numb which is probably my favourite song of all time. There are some really nice guitar textures on Another Brick part 1.

Their recent live version of One Of These Days is far better than the recorded version on Meddle, imo.

I saw Roger Waters last time he played Wembley and the version of interstellar overdrive was pretty amazing. Also I cried during Comfortably Numb.

I saw them in 1994 and nothing will ever compare to it (well it might but I doubt it). It was just fucking unbelievable.

I saw Gilmour recently at the festival hall (you may have seen the DVD) and that was great too, a mainly acoustic set with some massively rejigged versions of Floyd songs.

I think you already know Tony that I've got a "Gilmourised" strat - when I FINALLY get my little amp back home, come and have a play with it.

There are four distinct periods of Pink Floyd and everyone has their favourite:

1. Syd Barrett (1967-68)

2. Post-Barrett Hippies (1968-1972)

3. Roger Waters Concept Album a Go-Go (1973-1983)

4. Dave Gilmour takes over (1987-Present)

Hit Soulseek and download a fifteen minute live version of "Fat Old Sun" from around 1971. To me that is the real Floyd but none of the live releases ever really caught it on record (for some reason the live side of Ummagumma leaves me dry and the Pompeii video seems oddly anonymous, maybe due to the lack of an audience).

My friend, you speak sense. The live versions of Fat Old Sun that they played for their BBC sessions and a couple of festivals around that time were stunners. Awesome song in the first place, but stuffing 10 minutes of prime improv in the middle made it better. Made me very happy to hear Dave Gilmour play it live a couple of years ago. :lol:

Some personal favourite bits of Pink Floyd (proper geeko fan speaking here):

Live At Pompeii video - the version of Echoes is one of the most awesome things ever recorded, and the whole thing is just the ultimate in early-70s cool. And it's great when Nick Mason loses a drumstick. <_<

Animals - I've got into and out of all the various phases of Pink Floyd over time, but this album's always done it for me, no matter what. Great combination of cutting Waters lyrics, epic songs, funky-yet-aggressive vibe, and kick-ass guitar/keys.

Live In Boblingen - there's a bootleg from a 1972 (I think) gig where they play the most fantastic version of Careful With That Axe, Eugene. Goes on for about 19 minutes and breaks down into Roger Waters doing his Several Species... style ranting through an echo box in the middle.

Syd Barrett - as people have said, it's not easy to like his stuff, but at some point it 'clicks' with you, and you realise it's some of the most incredible music you've ever heard. It's so raw it's like looking into a gash in his head directly into his brain (ew!). Song that kills me: It Is Obvious (take 5).

1977 tour - if only I'd been old enough to go to this... They basically just played the whole of Wish You Were Here, and the whole of Animals, with a couple of tracks as an encore. The version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond that they played was incredible, with the second part breaking down into a funked-up two-guitar jam-battle. Good bootleg called Welcome To The Machine with this on.

Obscured By Clouds - a nice treat of a Pink Floyd album, as they knocked it out in two weeks. A real relief to hear them not spending ages poncing around with tracks, and just playing some pretty straight-up rocky/folky stuff. Some great songs hidden in there.

Basically, I've been lucky enough to find what there is to love about all their periods at some point or another, right from Syd Barrett going mental, to Roger Waters going mental (some of the Final Cut is incredible), through them going all mongy and bitter. Okay, so the post-1987 stuff is pretty shitty, but it's still better than most music out there. I highly recommend giving every album a shot, and if you don't like it first time, keep giving it a try. At some point in the future you'll eventually listen to it and actually 'get' it.

Animals - I've got into and out of all the various phases of Pink Floyd over time, but this album's always done it for me, no matter what. Great combination of cutting Waters lyrics, epic songs, funky-yet-aggressive vibe, and kick-ass guitar/keys.

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

I've never heard Obscured - will grab a copy of that soon.

Even if the newer stuff didn't quite work for many, you can still hear that they actually care and are trying - unlike all the shitty manufactured 'stars' these days. And Dave can still play guitar like a god!

Roger's albums are closer to the spirit of creativity that the Floyd used to have and I've really liked all of them. Amused to Death is a personal classic.

Was the 94 gig the Earls Court one with the collpasing seating?

I was there....awesome concert....found a BBC video of it the other day and it reminded me how spectacular it was...

Ed L: You weren't brainwashed into liking Pink Floyd by your father were you by any chance?

I just bought The Final Cut at lunchtime (again) – the new remastered release with 'When The Tigers Broke Free' on it. Fits in really well, actually. Always liked the song, and it's nice to have it put on an album officially now.

The Final Cut is really bloody special when it's good, you know. The lyrics are in-freaking-credible, especially on The Hero's Return, The Final Cut and Two Suns In The Sunset. Basically it's Roger Waters' best solo album, with Dave Gilmour guesting on guitar. :huh:

• Upvote 1

I haven't got a copy of The Final Cut and wouldn't have listened to it for probably 10 years. I remember finding some of the stuff a bit 'meh' - but my appreciation for Roger's work has grown appreciably since then.

I think I'll see if that revised edition is available cheaply locally and add it to my slowly growing PF collection.

Ed L: You weren't brainwashed into liking Pink Floyd by your father were you by any chance?

Dan... You aren't seriously trying to sound out who I am, are you? I sent you an email telling you, you fucking 'tard.