Are Edge Teh Sellouts?

kamrantaz

By the way, why would you expect that all Edge staff has completed those games, well all of them?

I didn't say that either.

My initial statement said that they would never have all completed them - which is a true statement, given the limiting factor of an issue deadline before a review. However, if you expand it beyond that deadline, they may have all completed them. I just don't know. Hence "may".

They probably haven't. I mean, I haven't. But saying they haven't when I know jack about it is wrong.

KG

I didn't say that either.

My initial statement said that they would never have all completed them - which is a true statement, given the limiting factor of an issue deadline before a review. However, if you expand it beyond that deadline, they may have all completed them. I just don't know. Hence "may".

They probably haven't. I mean, I haven't. But saying they haven't when I know jack about it is wrong.

KG

Well, it was some kind of general "you". Not really you. If you see what I mean.

I'm pretty sure you'll find people here who will genuinely be horrified by the fact that a single Edge journalist may have not finished every game you mentioned.

Well, it was some kind of general "you". Not really you. If you see what I mean.

I'm pretty sure you'll find people here who will genuinely be horrified by the fact that a single Edge journalist may have not finished every game you mentioned.

I dont care if they have completed a game or not when giving a review.

If for instance we had to wait for the reviewer to complete 100% of GTA SA then by the time the review came out the game would be so old we would be looking at the next gen console.

Lets be fair you can play a game over a couple of decent sit ins and generally know what all the strengths and weaknesses of it are and thus give an educated opinion and recommendation.

At the end of the day they are only giving their opionion and benchmarking it against other titles. Its still you as the consumer that makes the final decision on whether to buy or not.

As for 1 reviewer sharing his opinion with more than 1 magazine why does this concern people?

I wouldn't have expected the whole team to have played all the way through the '10' games, but I would certainly have expected more than one of them to have at least played a good chunk of it.

Ok, so it's not life or death, but as far as Edge magazine goes, 10s are important, because they are so rare. That's why there's so much debate about them. If there was a 10 every month then I don't think there would be any discussion here.

Look... Edge haven't sold out HL2 is worth a ten easilly. Yes the same reviewer may have reviewed for 4 mags, so what valve only let mags send people to them, what you going to do as a business send four people to do the same job or just one. As for all the staff agreeing it's a ten I'm sure that half hour of enthusing with the staff over a pint would be enough to convince them without playnig it's worth a ten well assuming that this guy knows his stuff and they all respect that which he probably does and they probaly do... I've got to say these daily mail style topic titles are getting really dull now how about some informed discussion!

Cheers

Quexex

Well done to Ben_Isaacs, Hoop, Duncan, Laine and the other detractors for dragging this thread off topic.

No problemo!

BTW, what *is* the topic? that someone reviewed the same thing more than once? Firstly do we have proof of this, aside from the fact that someone on the internet said so, and secondly, does this mean that you don't think it's worth the review and score it was given then? That Half Life 2, a game almost unanimously praised by the 'normal people' of this forum who have played it as being one of THE defining games experiences of this generation isn't worth full marks in a magazine simply because the same person may have reviewed the game in another magazine?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

what was the three, KG?

the one which comes to mind is GC CvSNK2. which IS a three, that's fine, but not when you consider that the DC version (which is identical apart from the insignificant EO mode) and the piss-poor PS2 port had been eights. I guess I would just like more consistency in a magazine which doesn't name its reviewers in the reviews.

EDGE promised that in order to get a 10, the game must be revolutionary.

Half Life 2 is a shoot-em-up. A shoot-em-up, no matter how good, is still the same thing from Doom way back when. Halo I'm not too sure about. Because Goldeneye clearly made a generational leap when it first arrived and deserved the 10. Not having played Halo, I cannot judge. But I didn't see how it revolutionised gaming. But at least in Halo's case, everyone and everyone seems to have rated it highly. So eh.

Where was I again? Er ah, Half Life 2 has been overrated, and with the re-design I think the Edge 10 golden rule is broken.

If only for the fact that this 1 reviewer crap sucks.

Half Life 2 is a shoot-em-up. A shoot-em-up, no matter how good, is still the same thing from Doom way back when. Halo I'm not too sure about. Because Goldeneye clearly made a generational leap when it first arrived and deserved the 10. Not having played Halo, I cannot judge. But I didn't see how it revolutionised gaming. But at least in Halo's case, everyone and everyone seems to have rated it highly. So eh.

Where was I again? Er ah, Half Life 2 has been overrated, and with the re-design I think the Edge 10 golden rule is broken.

you played HL2 yet to determine if it is as you say 'overrated' I'm guessing you haven't!

Cheers

Quexex

You total spastic.

no they didn't.

Agreed.

Edge have never said that a game must be revolutionary in order to get a 10. In the old design they had a "rough guide" to what a score implied, and the current guide for a 10 was indeed "revolutionary". Before that I think it was "Miyamoto". Go figure.

Anyway in the last few issues they reviewed a couple of what they described as "revolutionary" games, Eyetoy Play and Singstar. Were those games awarded tens? No. Was Halo revolutionary? Not really, although it did introduce some neat new features to the FPS genre.

I think the Edge staff probably just got a bit pissed off at all the people complaining about the Halo score on the grounds that the game wasn't revolutionary and it was an early review so the magazine must have sold out blah blah blah. Now the score explanation is simply "10=Ten", which is exactly what it is.

Jesus, doesn't anyone else get bored shitless by this?

They give a game a 10 because it's fantastically, amazingly, comes-along-once-a-generation, worth-buying-the-platform-for GOOD. Why the obsession over trying to make that score mean anything more than that?

If it gets a 10, it means it's wicked. That's the end of it.

They give a game a 10 because it's fantastically, amazingly, comes-along-once-a-generation, worth-buying-the-platform-for GOOD. Why the obsession over trying to make that score mean anything more than that?

This man talks sense.

Shut it, Rocko. There's no place for your kind here.

Beard attempt, surely?

I think my favourite line is:

Not having played Halo, I cannot judge. But I didn't see how it revolutionised gaming.

Closely followed by:

But at least in Halo's case, everyone and everyone seems to have rated it highly.

Where was I again? Er ah, Half Life 2 has been overrated

Can't be bothered to read through the thread but I'm hoping that the jist of it is: go and play the game and then have the balls to tell me it's not worth a 10.

People get hung up on this 'revolutionary' thing. It's one of those words that can mean lots of different things...does Che Guevara deserve an Edge 10? Definitely.

Christ, you sure you want your name associated with this drivel? I can't see your opinion on HL2 posted in that thread (unless it buried in the long one?) so is it safe to assume you haven't played that either?