IGNORED

Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

Venice Cull

It weren't great. I'm starting to see things from a Meh point of view after splurging myself through 3 seasons of The Wire in a few days.

Are you kidding? It wasn't as flashy as last week, but it topped it on pure drama, character and tension.

Not really. It developed Tigh's character a bit, seeing him going against the Admiral and maintaing his aggression against Sharon and so by extension Helo. I can see him becoming more and more isolated in his position. Oh and I liked the direction they're taking with Starbuck.

But other than that it was pretty predictable. Jammer was a fairly inconsequential character who's whole character arc was written for this storyline and so it wasn't a surprise to see him as the first on-screen victim of the secret court. We didn't even get to see the incident that got him into the shit, which is a shame as it sounded interesting. And I knew that Gaeta wouldn't be killed because the he would let slip about the spy work he did, which the Chief would collaborate.

That was fairly frustrating actually as I'd have thought he'd have been more vocal about his work beforehand and Tigh, being the tough but fair guy he is, would've got the Chief to confirm his story. It seemed like they were stretching the suspension of disbelief for the sake of artificially adding tension, something I think BSG is above. And as for character, everyone else behaved as expected. The Chief and that basketball gay acted out their roles as somewhat unwilling moralising members of the court. They drafted in some more nobodies to be the vengeance seeking characters. And Tigh continued his tough streak from the first few episodes. The only new direction was from Starbuck, as mentioned before.

I give it 2 "The Wire"s out of 5

Yeah, he told Starbuck. Once. When she was pissed at him. And she didn't believe him. He didn't think to actually tell any of the resistance who might actually know what the fuck he's on about. Think about it. If you were in as senior a position as Gaeta and everyone openly hated you, wouldn't you try to convince people that you were passing information? Everyone knew that Tigh, basketball man and the Chief were in the resistance. Wouldn't you tell one of these guys and get them to pass on the info to the rest of the crew? It's not like Gaeta's some lone ranger, world-on-his-shoulders character. Everyone likes Gaeta, as Tigh said, he's pretty sociable in those old episodes where he used to play cards with Starbuck et all. It just didn't make sense that his character would act in the way that he did.

Can't say I agree Bilco - few other shows would kill off characters in that way, no matter how minor they are. Let's not forget Jammer's been in it since the pilot and has been involved in other plot points other than the NCP/collaboration one.

What's more I think they could have easily killed Gaeta in the end, he's not an important character.

The only time I can think where characters have been summarily killed in the same way would be in early Voyager (from when RDM worked on it, surpise surprise).

I'm starting to see things from a Meh point of view after splurging myself through 3 seasons of The Wire in a few days.

I see what you're saying, and part of me agrees with you about Gaeta. But at the end of the day your comparing BSG to The Wire, which I think most people who have seen it would agree is pretty much the best thing on TV right now.

BSG may not be as good, and under heavy scrutiny bits of plot may not be watertight, but personally it always stays the right side of believable to me... even if occasionally it strays a bit close to the edge.

Then again maybe I'm prepared to cut it some slack as it gives me the Raging Horn of Thrillgasm more than any other program on TV at the moment, The Wire included.

But other than that it was pretty predictable. Jammer was a fairly inconsequential character who's whole character arc was written for this storyline and so it wasn't a surprise to see him as the first on-screen victim of the secret court. We didn't even get to see the incident that got him into the shit, which is a shame as it sounded interesting. And I knew that Gaeta wouldn't be killed because the he would let slip about the spy work he did, which the Chief would collaborate.

Well, Jammer has been in the series from the pilot, and featured in differing plot arcs. Also, he could well have been kille don New Caprica, and it would have been just as believable if he had managed to duck the bullet - who really new he was in the NCP?

Moreover, it was well played and it asked the question - was saving someone enough to duck the bullet? Execution counts for a lot and what you are really moaning about is plot not character, and it's not really what BSG is about.

On Gaeta, his reaction was different than expected, and again, they could have blown him away and had them find out later. You didn't know for certain, and it's the tension that keeps things interesting.

That was fairly frustrating actually as I'd have thought he'd have been more vocal about his work beforehand and Tigh, being the tough but fair guy he is, would've got the Chief to confirm his story. It seemed like they were stretching the suspension of disbelief for the sake of artificially adding tension, something I think BSG is above.

Or, Gaeta assumed that they already knew and even if they didn';t it wouldn't matter. It was essentially, a dubiously legal band of vigilantes, and that's how he wanted to go.

And as for character, everyone else behaved as expected. The Chief and that basketball gay acted out their roles as somewhat unwilling moralising members of the court. They drafted in some more nobodies to be the vengeance seeking characters. And Tigh continued his tough streak from the first few episodes. The only new direction was from Starbuck, as mentioned before.

So you complain when people act broadly as you expect (surely the whole idea of building character) and then complain when Gaeta doesn't (it was actually more like a reveal). So basically, they can't win.

It's not just that it is tense, or that the characters are really good, it's that it really gets you to think about things and consider them from different angles. I disliked Jammer, but sticking him in airlock and blowing it was hard to take. It's truly brilliant in that regard.

Never seen The Wire. It would be measured in BSG's out of 5 if I did.

So you complain when people act broadly as you expect (surely the whole idea of building character) and then complain when Gaeta doesn't (it was actually more like a reveal). So basically, they can't win.

It's not just that it is tense, or that the characters are really good, it's that it really gets you to think about things and consider them from different angles. I disliked Jammer, but sticking him in airlock and blowing it was hard to take. It's truly brilliant in that regard.

My point there was that Gaeta acted not only out of character but without common sense too. It's not like the change in character Starbuck or Tigh went through, where there actually was some impetus for the change. Gaeta just bent over and took it for the sake of the plot which really annoyed me if, as you say, BSG is more about the characters than the plot. As for Jammer, he was massively inconsequential. It's not like they killed off a Billy or even a Callie.

But that was quite a filler episode and served more to move the plot forward slightly than anything else. I can forgive BSG these episodes but I can't raise these episodes above what they are. Also, you'll quickly run out of BSGs if you rate The Wire on that scale.

Having not seen the wire I can't compare but IMHO BSG is one of the best pieces of television to come out of the USA in a long time - brave storytelling and a compelling storyline - the best piece of Sci-fi since Babylon 5

I know that very few shows have managed 3 seasons with very little filler and some truly shocking moments (on american TV anyway)

I liked it. It certainly wasn't a Black Market or even a Final Cut in the "god, that was horrible" stakes.

It set a few things up, it didn't fuck around with a "plot/enemy-of-the-week", and it felt very Un-Shit.

Not perfect by any means, but very watchable.

Bilco is the new me.

Can't say I agree Bilco - few other shows would kill off characters in that way, no matter how minor they are. Let's not forget Jammer's been in it since the pilot and has been involved in other plot points other than the NCP/collaboration one.

What's more I think they could have easily killed Gaeta in the end, he's not an important character.

The only time I can think where characters have been summarily killed in the same way would be in early Voyager (from when RDM worked on it, surprise surprise).

He didn't work on Voyager... or only did one or two episodes now and again, didn't he?

Anyway

Jammer got his just desserts as far as I'm concerned. Was very worried Gaeta was going to get it there for a minute, but glad he didn't as that would have been too much. Good episode in general I thought

No-ones mentioned it yet, but the Cylons had a new Resurrection Ship. Shame, I quite liked the idea of the Cylons scared of dying permanently.

The fact that the guy Starbuck kept killing kept coming back again and again made it pretty obvious that they had another.

The fact that the guy Starbuck kept killing kept coming back again and again made it pretty obvious that they had another.

I thought they had set up some sort of stationary resurrection hub on the planet. The Resurrection Ship wasn't in orbit, so does that mean every time a Cylon was killed, it downloaded to the Resurrection Ship and returned to the planet? That seems awfully long winded.

The Resurrection Ship is only for when the Cylons are pursuing Galactica away from their bases. Since they came to New Caprica with the intention of long-term occupation one would assume they brought their resurrection technology with them to the planet and so isn't an indicator of another Resurrection Ship. Although they most probably have a few lying around anyway.

My point there was that Gaeta acted not only out of character but without common sense too. It's not like the change in character Starbuck or Tigh went through, where there actually was some impetus for the change. Gaeta just bent over and took it for the sake of the plot which really annoyed me if, as you say, BSG is more about the characters than the plot. As for Jammer, he was massively inconsequential. It's not like they killed off a Billy or even a Callie.

But that was quite a filler episode and served more to move the plot forward slightly than anything else. I can forgive BSG these episodes but I can't raise these episodes above what they are. Also, you'll quickly run out of BSGs if you rate The Wire on that scale.

I thought Gaeta's actions were entirely logical. He was faced with a vigilante group, at least one of whom he had told about passing information. They wanted him to beg, like Starbuck did, and the only power he had left was to not give them that.

I also thought it was an important episode rather than "filler". It was important to deal with the aftermath, and the price for traitors is always the same. I would have been disappointed if they hadn't done it. I'd prefer if that wasn't the full stop to it though. These things tend to linger.