rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Venice Cull

Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

My favourite bit by far was the conversation between Adama and Apollo when he asked "and if it was me?" and Adama said "If it was you...we'd never leave...", it was delivered really well in an understated way that made it very effective.

Yes, there's a 4 hour (?) pilot. The first 2 hours is pretty dull but the second 2 are a bit more entertaining. I am still watching it and it is quite good but there's still nothing to set it apart from any other current sci fi show.

My favourite bit by far was the conversation between Adama and Apollo when he asked "and if it was me?" and Adama said "If it was you...we'd never leave...", it was delivered really well in an understated way that made it very effective.

Absolutely. By far and away the best part of the series so far is the relationship between Captain Adama and Apollo.

And, although I had initially hated Starbuck and really did wish that she was killed off in the first few episodes, I'm beginning to quite like her character, how she has to live with the guilt of Zack's death as punishment for her greed.

Not enough Baltar last night. Plus the story destroyed some of the serious sci fi credibility that had been built up in the previous episodes by having Starbuck climb into the Cylon ship and pilot it off the planet in my opinion. The omnipresent feeling of dread due to the threat of the Cyclons that was brilliantly created in the first epsiode is being diluted and hasn't been carried forward that much in the last few weeks. Still good though, just not up to the calibre of previous outings.

The wife and I only got 10 minutes or so into the pilot before giving up on it last night. Is this "good, if you're the sort of person that watches every episode of every Star Trek franchise". Or is properly good. Like, Alias good. I appreciate this is a hard question to answer, but I'll be going out on a limb if I force the issue and make us watch it again.

IMO the first half of the pilot is awful and the second half is better. I find it watchable just a bit grim and so far we haven't seen much in the way of cylons (though I haven't seen Monday's episode yet).

I think its a bit "Halo 2". There are a lot of people out there who claim its fantastic, magical, revolutionary or whatever. I think it's competant but lacks personality. I think maybe I'm missing the point with both BSG & Halo 2.

The wife and I only got 10 minutes or so into the pilot before giving up on it last night. Is this "good, if you're the sort of person that watches every episode of every Star Trek franchise". Or is properly good. Like, Alias good. I appreciate this is a hard question to answer, but I'll be going out on a limb if I force the issue and make us watch it again.

I think you needed to have given it a little bit longer than ten minutes really. I suppose the makers have failed to grab your attention so they ultimately failed, but still it does get better. I was enormously satisfied at the end of the mini-series.

Last night's was fucking stupid. Although all the stuff that didn't involve Starbuck stranded was good - hotwiring an organic robot by pulling it's cartilages was just ridiculous. As was making a spaceship airtight by shoving your jacket in the hole.

The jacket shoved into the hole thing might not be as ridiculous as it sounds. It would be dependent on the surrounding air pressure wouldn't it? A moon with an unbreathable and thin atmosphere wouldn't be that much different to no atmosphere. Isn't it a huge and sudden change in pressure that would lead to explosion/being sucked out of small holes scenarios?

So - she'd have been sucked out of that cockpit like toothpaste, as was already astutely observed. There'd have been zero air pressure outside, and some air pressure inside. She'd be dead. And liquidised.

So - she'd have been sucked out of that cockpit like toothpaste, as was already astutely observed. There'd have been zero air pressure outside, and some air pressure inside. She'd be dead. And liquidised.

You'd only be sucked out if there was an enormous difference in pressure. Space is a vacuum; a complete abscence of pressure, that's all. If the internal pressure isn't too high it wouldn't cause that much of a problem. The internal pressure of the cylon ship would have been the same as the thin atmosphere of the moon, ie almost zero. You wouldn't need a lot of internal pressure in order to breathe, only enough to keep the patch in place. It's the differential in comparative pressures that would cause any problems. If there's not a huge difference you wouldn't get sucked out you'd just run out of air.

Does someone else want to explain to dismembo how the difference between zero and enough to breath without assistance is actually quite a lot? Because I'm not sure I'm getting through.

Actually, the difference between space and earths atmosphere is not all that much. It a much greater difference if you go a few meters underwater.

The jacket shoved into the hole thing might not be as ridiculous as it sounds.

Is that because it wasn't even her jacket? I'd have to watch again to be sure but I thought it was a part of the Raider she'd ripped out to find the air supply. It started to move in and out when she put it in place to suggest it was being integrated into the hull of the ship, a visual link to the way an organic being might heal itself. If it was just her jacket it would have blown away the second there was a gust of wind!

I thought it was superb again last night, but I concede you definitely have to suspend your disbelief at certain moments.

Actually, the difference between space and earths atmosphere is not all that much. It a much greater difference if you go a few meters underwater.

Given that people get sucked out of the cockpits of planes when their canopy breaks, I hereby refute your claims.

Apparently you don't find out what's going on between the female Cylon and the scientist guy (I'm not well up on their names) until the last couple of episodes. Surely she isn't part of his imagination though? He seemed shocked when she told him to get a nuclear weapon.

Excellent show BTW.