Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

On 07/09/2020 at 15:58, Nick R said:

That effect of the camera struggling to find a spaceship happens briefly in the battle at the end of Attack of the Clones, which came out a few months before Firefly's first broadcast. IIRC on one of Joss Whedon's Firefly DVD commentaries, he criticises that shot as completely out of place in Star Wars.

It was used almost to distraction in Babylon 5 during space action shots years previously.

Having loved this the first time I'm finding it hard going on second viewing. I don't know whether it's because I know what's going to happen or not but it just feels so pedestrian. Also we've just watched the episode You Can't Go Home and it's just utterly terrible, nothing about it make sense.

Spoiler

So starbuck crashes down on the moon of a gas giant which has a poisons atmosphere. But it's sort of okay because she has an oxygen tank, well apart from the fact that she seems to have ripped her suit but that's fixed later on with some tape. She finally finds a Cyclon ship and discovers that they seem to be piloted by some kind of organic lifeform that has all kinds of wires plugged into its brain, although that does mean that it requires oxygen. Yet weirdly the controls are exactly the right size for a human and are physical. She's able to make the ship air tight again by seemingly shoving her jacket into a hole in the side of the ship. Then she takes off, fortunately she is able to convince Lee that she is Starbuck because she has painted Starbuck on the underside of the wings of the ship despited us never having seen her leave the ship to do this, ingnoring the fact that it was impossible to do as the ship wings were lying on the ground.

All that ignores the fucking ridiculous 'emotional' side of the story with the Adamas willing to put the entire fleet at risk, including using almost 50% of their reserve fuel to fly resuce missions. 

What amazes me is looking this up on IMDB to check the name of the episode it's actually one of the highest rated in the first series! It's just dreadful.

4 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Having loved this the first time I'm finding it hard going on second viewing. I don't know whether it's because I know what's going to happen or not but it just feels so pedestrian. Also we've just watched the episode You Can't Go Home and it's just utterly terrible, nothing about it make sense.

Hide contents

So starbuck crashes down on the moon of a gas giant which has a poisons atmosphere. But it's sort of okay because she has an oxygen tank, well apart from the fact that she seems to have ripped her suit but that's fixed later on with some tape. She finally finds a Cyclon ship and discovers that they seem to be piloted by some kind of organic lifeform that has all kinds of wires plugged into its brain, although that does mean that it requires oxygen. Yet weirdly the controls are exactly the right size for a human and are physical. She's able to make the ship air tight again by seemingly shoving her jacket into a hole in the side of the ship. Then she takes off, fortunately she is able to convince Lee that she is Starbuck because she has painted Starbuck on the underside of the wings of the ship despited us never having seen her leave the ship to do this, ingnoring the fact that it was impossible to do as the ship wings were lying on the ground.

All that ignores the fucking ridiculous 'emotional' side of the story with the Adamas willing to put the entire fleet at risk, including using almost 50% of their reserve fuel to fly resuce missions. 

What amazes me is looking this up on IMDB to check the name of the episode it's actually one of the highest rated in the first series! It's just dreadful.

It might be a series of somewhat fortuitous events but I don't think it should rank as dreadful. Adama is great in this episode as he breaks the rules for his own selfish reasons - realising that Starbuck had done the same. He has the great father/son moment with Lee. 

On 21/09/2020 at 11:56, metallicfrodo said:

Hide contents

I’m watching this very episode now, never having seen the series before. Not totally convinced I’m into it yet; there’s some decent performances in there but all seems a bit under-developed. 

My pet hate is the ‘coming up’ part at the beginning of the episode. 

On 07/09/2020 at 21:49, JoeK said:

Really must get my blu-ray player out from its box. I haven't seen it for a while, but the quality of the iPlayer showing is bloody awful. I know the thing was filmed with a certain amount of grain in it, but it's seems really bad from early on.

I just started watching it on iplayer. I did try to watch the first season back in the day and never got into it. Second time round I am more engaged but what's wrong with BBC and iplayer? They broadcast this late night in 1080p and then all you get on iplayer is 576 - what are they using at BBC? Dial up?

And the whole iplayer seems to be a dumbed down streamer giving little useful configuration (video settings are simply labelled 'low', 'medium' or 'high' quality but no indication what actual resolution these relate to. I logged in on the htpc to see if playing from a desktop iplayer would be any better but just the same aimed at granny level of functionality. 

Ended up just ripping the whole lot off usenet. In 1080p.

#disappointingBBC 

#APiratesLifeForMe

I've never seen this and noticed that the BBC are trailering this a lot on TV about watching it on the iPlayer. I did a quick wiki check between the times on the iPlayer and the ones that where originally broadcasted in the States, and these iPlayer ones seem shorter. The ones on the iPlayer are the shitty PAL speed up ones aren't they?