Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

1 hour ago, Popo said:

To be fair Firefly was doing that a couple of years before, that might have been the first example of it, not sure. 

That effect of the camera struggling to find a spaceship happens briefly in the battle at the end of Attack of the Clones, which came out a few months before Firefly's first broadcast. IIRC on one of Joss Whedon's Firefly DVD commentaries, he criticises that shot as completely out of place in Star Wars.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Nick R said:

That effect of the camera struggling to find a spaceship happens briefly in the battle at the end of Attack of the Clones, which came out a few months before Firefly's first broadcast. IIRC on one of Joss Whedon's Firefly DVD commentaries, he criticises that shot as completely out of place in Star Wars.

Joss Whedon's a cunt. That's a great shot in AOTC. There's a few shots in the Geonosis ground battle that are very well done.

On 21/10/2006 at 14:13, Popo said:

BEST EPISODE OF ANYTHING, EVER.

On 21/10/2006 at 15:08, Big Loud Mouth said:

Talk about an emotional roller-coaster.

That was absolutely fucking awesome.

On 21/10/2006 at 20:51, JohnC said:

I've just finished watching it for the third time today!

I think I might just watch the first few episodes of season 3 again. :lol:

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I never watched this at the time but I think I'll give it a go. The only thing I ever watched a bit of was the short lived spinoff Caprica on Sky One.

Craprica. 

On 05/09/2020 at 21:27, multi said:

Bloody hell ignore @Vespa Alex, please start with the mini series which is also up there on iPlayer too @StopharageIt's pretty essential in setting up the whole thing.

I'm very jealous that your going into this blind. It's absolutely fantastic television for the most part.

I am tempted by this I must say. Tried once before but I got annoyed with the use of the word Frack all the time as a pre watershed word replacement for (presumably) fuck.

It is a slight pet peeve of mine. If you need the show to be viewable for a slightly younger audience just don't include bad language in the script. Plenty of shows manage to have mature themes without swears.

I mean c'mon... For fracks sake!

6 hours ago, Huz said:

I remember finding the shaky camerawork really irritating back in the day (one of the reasons I didn't make it very far!), but this time around I haven't even noticed it beyond realising that it used to bother me but it doesn't now. Perhaps that's more an example of it genuinely being a bit of a trendsetter rather than desperately trying to be all modern, though.

It was definitely a big step forwards though some elements had their origins in other shows. The look and feel of the inside of the Galactica felt like it had been lifted from Space Above And Beyond, and Scar was absolutely Chiggy Von Richthofen from S:AAB. 

• Upvote 1

Really must get my blu-ray player out from its box. I haven't seen it for a while, but the quality of the iPlayer showing is bloody awful. I know the thing was filmed with a certain amount of grain in it, but it's seems really bad from early on.

On 05/09/2020 at 13:06, MardiganX said:

Also...

Adama - “If it was you, we would never leave”

:unsure:

:wub:

Ah man, just reading that I'm buckling like a cheap belt.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, idiwa said:

Ah man, just reading that I'm buckling like a cheap belt.

It was the quickest I have ever went from manly, bro-fist celebration to choked up blubbering mess. Its usually a gradual process. Not here. Not this!

Adama has a great quote about the militarization of police:

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state. The other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

• Upvote 8
On 07/09/2020 at 14:21, Hanzo the Razor said:

I never watched this at the time but I think I'll give it a go. The only thing I ever watched a bit of was the short lived spinoff Caprica on Sky One.

The first few seasons are much better than Caprica.  

I got a puppy this week so have been in need of an easy watch to zone out and binge when he sleeps, so am now almost at the end of the first series of this on iPlayer.

Its been an enjoyable watch but I have found it interesting that the flaws that eventually ended up really harming the show in later series were 100pc there from the very start, with very loose plotting  the main outstanding factor.

The main problem is with the human Cylons, which are never really defined in a coherent way from season to season or even episode to episode. This is compounded by a high level Lost-style lack of curiosity among all the characters that only exists to preserve mysteries - by this point there’s been multiple lengthy interactions with human Cylons and nobody has bothered asking them basic questions like ‘hey, how did you become organic and eerrrr why did you murder us all?’ 

Compare it to something like the Expanse, where characters always ask what the fuck is going on and why - it makes them

much more relatable in my view. Of course, the Expanse is arguably a much more plot driven show than BSG,

One other BSG observation - cast is way too big and a lot of heavy lifting is done by a few key players - Olmos is even better than I remembered, and Tigh, Starbuck, Boomer and Chief are all great.

Tricia Helfer’s vamping hasn’t aged well - I could do with fewer Gaius-Head Six scenes and their inevitable conclusion of someone looking confused at Gaius acting like a weirdo to thin air.

Luckily there has only been one religion-heavy episode so far (Leoben interrogation) but Christ it was guff, fucking guff - inexplicable that the writers chose to double down on that shit later on.

• Upvote 7
On 04/09/2020 at 21:48, Doctor Shark said:

I tried watching this a couple of times a few years ago. I got into series 2 but wasn't really enjoying any of it, so gave up. 

It popped up on Google Play for £10 I think for the complete box set and thought it'd be rude not to and man, if it didn't click. I ended up binging the whole thing. The ending disappointed, I didn't like the whole final five thing, I never warmed to Starbuck and Fat Lee was bad, but overall it was just a superb series. 

Funny - I was just the same with GoT. It took me 3 tries to get into that, but once I was in...I WAS IN.

I didn't like the BSG ending much either, but it was a damn sight better than GoT!

But... but... but how? Why? When? What? It's hardly Dexter levels of bad, but... really? The ending where they

threw all of their advanced technology into the sun because sure why not

was good to you?

Around half of season 2 is a bit shit as well. All that religious guff in the first half then a bunch of filler later on to make it into into a 20-episode season. There are some corkers though.

On 07/09/2020 at 16:15, Gambit said:

I think I might just watch the first few episodes of season 3 again. :lol:

The first two episodes of that series were the absolute peak. I enjoyed it right to the end, but it never got anywhere near those heights again. 

That jump into the atmosphere, tho.