Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

3 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I've never watched this. I know there were various offshoots, prequels and feature length extras but is it best just to start with Episode 1 and plough on from there? 

Yep, nothing outside of the main series itself is essential.

The miniseries and first season are absolutely brilliant. It gradually slides downhill from there unfortunately but most of season 2 and some of season 3 is still worth watching. 

I seem to remember the Razor spin off 2-parter being really good. 

5 minutes ago, multi said:

Bloody hell ignore @Vespa Alex, please start with the mini series which is also up there on iPlayer too @StopharageIt's pretty essential in setting up the whole thing.

I'm very jealous that your going into this blind. It's absolutely fantastic television for the most part.

That *is* part of the main series. It's Razor, The Plan and Blood And Chrome that are disposable.

The miniseries is easily missed if you don’t know what you’re doing. It doesn’t tend to be marked as S1E1, though on IPlayer it might be obvious. 

EDIT: it is

26 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

That *is* part of the main series. It's Razor, The Plan and Blood And Chrome that are disposable.

Point taken and I think I agree with you

:hat:

Edited by multi
1 hour ago, multi said:

I watched the first 2 episodes of Away last night on Netflix, and I'm sure he appeared on that as a doctor. He looked much the same but older, with some gray hair spouting. 

Might not have been the same actor but it definitely looked like him. 

He was also in another Netflix series, Sabrina. 

Anyway, I’m probably amongst a handful of people watching BBC2 tonight but they’re doing a wee marathon. God, it starts so brilliantly. 

SD though, not sure if the iPlayer version is HD or not. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Anyway, I’m probably amongst a handful of people watching BBC2 tonight but they’re doing a wee marathon. God, it starts so brilliantly. 

SD though, not sure if the iPlayer version is HD or not. 

Can't believe I even bothered getting up to check, but it is not in SD on BBC2 HD - although the broadcast compression is doing the relatively grainy look no favours. I had no complaints on iPlayer earlier!

17 minutes ago, Huz said:

Can't believe I even bothered getting up to check, but it is not in SD on BBC2 HD - although the broadcast compression is doing the relatively grainy look no favours. I had no complaints on iPlayer earlier!

BBC2 SD and BBC2 HD looked identical to me. :wacko:

Bit torn about rewatching this. So much of it is brilliant, but then obviously the latter parts are so unfulfilling. Is there a particularly natural place to stop, before the decline takes hold too much? Or is it not as disappointing the second time around, when you already know it's a bit of an Abrams-style mystery box at its core?

2 hours ago, hmm said:

Bit torn about rewatching this. So much of it is brilliant, but then obviously the latter parts are so unfulfilling. Is there a particularly natural place to stop, before the decline takes hold too much? Or is it not as disappointing the second time around, when you already know it's a bit of an Abrams-style mystery box at its core?

Just watch until you don’t want to.  I always make it to the end these days :) but I think there’s a different break point for everyone really.  It taking a downturn isn’t a good excuse for not starting at all!

So say we all!

Do we need spoilers? Anyway I'd stop when

Spoiler

that geezer murders all the gov in a coup, I'd finish that arc and stop

I remember that being the last story arc that wasn't a bit wank maybe?

I started rewatching it having only made it to half way through season 2 last time. Had forgotten how tight some of the episodes were, the tension and strain of 33 as an opener after the pilot episodes was top notch work. into season 2 now and it ticks along nicely.  surprisingly my favourite  character this time around is good auld gaius, callis does a wonderful job.

As I said, I binged all of this last year and I found small parts to be worse, but certainly not enough to stop watching at any point. I was rather hooked throughout and although I found the ending a poor payoff for everything that came before, I still enjoyed it as a whole. I don't think there's any reason to stop partway unless you've seen it before and really, really hate it from a certain point. 

Popped this on last night on a whim as I saw it on iPlayer. The mini-series is such a curiosity - it’s 100pc necessary to establish the plot and characters but its very janky in lots of ways and quite removed from what the show will actually turn out to be like.

It’s quite sprawling and flabby, chock full of exposition and the budget is a real problem because it can’t depict the scale of what’s happening with the Cylon attack on the colonies.

Something else that feels very dated is that the mini-series seems so pleased with how modern it thinks it is, which I think was not unusual with a lot of shows from the early to mid 00s. I feel like the writers are shouting ‘look we have loads of scenes where people FUCK nobody ever FUCKED in sci-before yeeeeeaaaahh!’

Very much looking forward to 33 though because it’s one of the best proper opening episodes of anything ever. 

Ha yes the fucking is there, way too much sex stuff. It's like everyone is as horny as a teenager. But the acting is great, and the show lays out it characters so well.

I remember finding the shaky camerawork really irritating back in the day (one of the reasons I didn't make it very far!), but this time around I haven't even noticed it beyond realising that it used to bother me but it doesn't now. Perhaps that's more an example of it genuinely being a bit of a trendsetter rather than desperately trying to be all modern, though.

38 minutes ago, Huz said:

I remember finding the shaky camerawork really irritating back in the day (one of the reasons I didn't make it very far!), but this time around I haven't even noticed it beyond realising that it used to bother me but it doesn't now. Perhaps that's more an example of it genuinely being a bit of a trendsetter rather than desperately trying to be all modern, though.

To be fair Firefly was doing that a couple of years before, that might have been the first example of it, not sure. 

IIRC you can see a Firefly-type ship flying around the fleet in BG during certain scenes, am I mis-remembering?

Edit - it’s during the miniseries, when Laura is getting her diagnosis in the hospital. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0f41475fe410e428e14e42b07acf1657.jpeg