Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

• 1 year later...

Watching Razor again tonight reminds me of so much I love about this. The show was at its best when hardass characters were making hardass decisions and that's what Razor is, start to finish. The plot is almost irrelevant, nestled as it is within the established arc of the show. Seeing the flashbacks to the times after the Cylon attack recalls all that was great about early season 1, but you've got established characters like Starbuck and Kane in there with all their attitude and grim, terrible purpose. They make you believe it too. Terrible things that they've done become almost justified, almost, when you see events from their perspective.

I'd happily just watch an hour and a half of Kane, Starbuck and Kendra punching each other in the face and trading personal insults.

I have tried, repeatedly, to get into this show. I've binged episodes. I've taken breaks  I've done a mixture of the two. I'm currently just starting series three and, as desperate as I am for a good sci-fi show, this just isn't it. It's all so...boring. And hammy. It has failed on every level to get me engaged or invested in the plot or characters. I don't really know or care what's happening or why. I'm so, so disappointed because after hearing good things about it for years but somehow never finding the time to watch it, I was ready to get properly into a big space opera series. But I just can't. What am I missing? 

God, I remember reading this thread when the first season was airing. We got it before the US for some reason and the collective "OMG!" when Adama got shot at the end of the first season was amazing. :lol: 

Edit: Jesus, the thread was started 12 years ago.

I just double checked on Netflix and apparently the last episode I watched was season 2, resurrection ship part 2, so episode 16ish, so I'm not even as far through as I thought! Disappointed to hear s3 and beyond dip in quality. Might as well give it up as a bad job, in that case. :(

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

God, I remember reading this thread when the first season was airing. We got it before the US for some reason and the collective "OMG!" when Adama got shot at the end of the first season was amazing. :lol: 

Edit: Jesus, the thread was started 12 years ago.

P21 if people want to have look.

I think that is still my most memorable (fictional) TV moment.

As a show it's not really about those bits though. It's less space opera and more soap opera (in a good way). I think if you're watching it for the pew pew then you're going to be disappointed.

45 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

That just makes those bits all the better when they do show up though. It's an SF show that really earns its action moments, like DS9 before it.

I agree with this actually. The action sequences tend to be high quality too.

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

That just makes those bits all the better when they do show up though. It's an SF show that really earns its action moments, like DS9 before it.

And Babylon 5 before that.

Poor, poor Babylon 5...

• 7 months later...

Richard Hatch (Apollo in the original series and Tom Zarek in the reboot) has died.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/07/richard-hatch-star-battlestar-galactica-dies-71/

Golden Globe nominated actor Richard Hatch, whose career spanned nearly a half-decade, today passed into eternity while surrounded by family and friends after an extended illness. Best known as Captain Apollo in the 1978 original Battlestar Galactica, and then as Tom Zarek in the 2003 re-imagined version, His career started with a stint on All My Children in 1971 as Philip Brent, and put in appearances on series ranging from Hawaii Five-O to The Streets of San Franciscoto Baywatch. In more recent years Richard has been featured in a range of independent productions.