Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

• 2 weeks later...

Finale part landed yesterday, so I've compiled all episodes into this post. I've also spoilered them because lots of youtube vids embedded into one page can be a bit of a strain on some old PCs and mobile devices.

1 & 2

3 & 4

5 & 6

7 & 8

Finale

Anyway, I loved it. Not exactly the thought-provoking, suspenseful stuff BSG had to offer in its prime, but very watchable all the same.

It's still not a web series. It's a fully budgeted pilot episode for a new Galactica series that Syfy passed on, decided not to broadcast, and have split into 10 to show on the web.

My understanding is that it started as a web series, then got turned into a pilot, before turning back into a web series.

I didn't think it was very good.

Having Adama be the main character kind of sucks the drama out of it because you know he's not going to come to any harm; I don't think you need any stronger links than "this is the original rebellion, go". And I know it was a pilot, but the script is a bit poo, if this were in the old series it'd be one of the episodes we moan about and recommend skipping over, like Black Market.

And although the CG is obviously far more detailed and higher resolution than anything in the older series, it looked - faker? or something? Fire and smoke looked poor, as did the ice planet, and the use of greenscreen was very obvious. They'd have been better with fewer FX shots and greenscreens with higher quality. Or perhaps it's something to do with artstyle? The Star Wars prequel effect of everything new and shiny looking less believable than stuff that's old and battered and grimy?

• 2 weeks later...

FInally got 'round to upgrading my DVD set and picked up the Blu-Ray (at £35-ish from Amazon it was kind of a no-brainer).

Haven't seen it for a while, and it's nice to know it's still as enjoyable as ever...especially pleased to see they added in all the extras from the US version too.

I'm sorted for entertainment through Xmas then!

• 1 year later...

A good 16 months since this thread was last posted in but I've only just finished watching the entire show for the first time. God knows how this passed me by when it first aired, it's exactly the kind of program I love.

It did get a bit silly and all over the place in the final series but was still very enjoyable never the less.

The whole dream sequence with Roslin and Athena seeing Gaius and Six take Hera to the Final 5 didn't really have the pay off I think they wanted when they first wrote that scene. There was so much build up around that, but it was rather redudant in the end and didn't amount to anything. I wonder if they were going in another direction before they learnt series 4 would be the last.

Also, wtf was Starbuck? A Guardian Angel?

Anyway, loved the show and happy I've seen it, even if I am 10 years too late.Is it worth watching The Plan?

• 8 months later...

I finally finished this. Reading the series bible it's disappointing how much of the last season was about getting backstory up on screen whether it served the plot or not, although that was already obvious from the Final Five's backstory dump. It really feels like they lost track of their big story and style goals in S3 and were just kind of winging it towards whatever conclusion they could get.

That said, when the performances and dialogue are this good you kind of get away with it to a degree. They cashed in all their good will, that's for sure.

• 3 months later...

I've had series 1-3 on DVD for yonks, and I honestly thought I had watched the whole lot. A while ago BSG 1-4 was on offer on iTunes for £24.99 so I decided to go digital and it's taken me a while to get around to it, but I just can't stop watching now.

As it happens, I probably only watched about 6 episodes of series 1 before. It's just that SO MUCH happens in this show that even one episode is worth about eight of anything else.

I'm up to about episode 16 of season 2 now, and I'm in love with it all. Every single character, all the beautiful moments. It's gritty and dark sure, but that makes the small victories all the more sweet (one of my favourite moments so far being when Apollo & Cmdr Adama are reunited on Kobol after all that had gone on).

And the music! The amazing music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGcMPp7TNo4

There's a very definite turning point that's not necessarily obvious when you're watching it, but in retrospect the show turns 180 degrees in quality from one episode to the next.