rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Venice Cull

Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

There's not a dud amongst them - possibly the strongest cast I've seen in science fiction ever. Bhaltar, The Prez, Adama (x2) hell, even Starbuck. It's a truly astonishing series, one I'm hesitant to paint with the same sci-fi brush as crap like Buffy in space (Firefly) and the so far appalling Stargate Atlantis.

I only hope the Americans take to it like we are hopefully in the process of doing. God knows, if there were any justice in the world, this would go on forever and ever.

Firefly's great. You're right about Atlantis, though. Truly, truly appalling, and I'm an SG-1 fan.

I'm still watching, although I haven't seen this week's episode yet. The best bits for me are the space battles because no-one has done them even close to properly before. Usually they just have spacecraft flying like planes instead of taking advantage of zero-gravity.

Babylon 5 did the proper zero-g space battles too. I can't really remember, but I think Space Above & Beyond may have made an attempt too, but I'm not sure.

This is a very well written and intelligent show. I had a lot of fond memories of the "muppets in spaaaace" original, but this is far more progressive and in many ways meaningful too.

I also think that James Callis' portrayal of Baltar is inspired genius.

Talking of Sci-Fi channel stuff, they are in the process of releasing an Earthsea mini-series, though it looks to be utter drivel.

I can't help but feel that Sky getting it first is a mistake. The torrents at Suprnova are extremely popular, with 855 seeds (split over various copies) of the most recent episode currently available.

Am I the only one who thinks that when this is finally shown on the Sci-Fi channel in the US, in January next year, that a large part of the core audience will have downloaded it, meaning audience figures will be down?

I have thought the same thing. However seeing as the rest of the world gets US series a lot later the reverse would be true of series like Enterprise. The rest of the world can download shows from the US first but it does not seem to affect thier perfomance overseas.

I have thought the same thing. However seeing as the rest of the world gets US series a lot later the reverse would be true of series like Enterprise. The rest of the world can download shows from the US first but it does not seem to affect thier perfomance overseas.

I'm not so sure. To use a current example, SVT, the Swedish equivalent of the BBC, have decided not to show any mroe Enterprise after season 2 (and thus they didn't show the last episode of season 2).

I can't quite put my finger on why, but Battlestar Galactica seems more "geeky" to me, meaning a lot more of the core audience will be the kind of people who download shows. Maybe it is something to do with the likes of my Parents liking Enterprise as it is a far mroe established show which they also remember from the late 60s.

Still, no figures or anything to back this up. Just a niggley feeling I have deep down.

I agree with you, but sky have co-funded it and are more than happy with the results. People will watch it in the US for picture quality, cos after all its geeky isnt it? Besides a 2nd series is more or less confirmed by that cylon blonde in interviews i've read!

Everyone loves it cos ITS FUCKING ACE

I can't help but feel that Sky getting it first is a mistake. The torrents at Suprnova are extremely popular, with 855 seeds (split over various copies) of the most recent episode currently available.

Am I the only one who thinks that when this is finally shown on the Sci-Fi channel in the US, in January next year, that a large part of the core audience will have downloaded it, meaning audience figures will be down?

But that other thread says that downloading TV is okay and doesn't harm anyone :)

I agree with you, but sky have co-funded it and are more than happy with the results.

They did? I didn't realise. Nor does IMDB as they don't mention Sky in the series' company credits either.

I have to admit, I did check IMDB after seeing the "in co-operation with Sky" (or whatever) at the end of the programme and wondering.

But that other thread says that downloading TV is okay and doesn't harm anyone :)

To be honest, I don't think foreigners downloading US programmes really does that much damage as the US ratings are what are important to the US channels.

I've been impressed thus far. I was a bit worried after the meandering pilot "series" that it would be a tad slow, but it's kept me interested and entertained.

The only thing I don't like is the use of the word Frack. Farscape did the Frell thing years ago and it grated then and it still grates now.

I've been impressed thus far. I was a bit worried after the meandering pilot "series" that it would be a tad slow, but it's kept me interested and entertained.

The only thing I don't like is the use of the word Frack. Farscape did the Frell thing years ago and it grated then and it still grates now.

The 'Frack' thing in Battlestar Galactica was used in the original '70's show and obviously did it years before the Farscape equivalent.

Possibly. There was a look on her face in the ep where she killed a #6, when they were in the woods, that suggested she wasn't a sleeper too. Hmmm... But she's too gorgeous to be evil :(

Bloody great, innit?

To me, it's incredibly obvious that the Boomer on the Galactica is a "sleeper", whereas the Boomer on the planet is perfectly aware of what she is.

Er.... hasn't it been very obvious all the way through?!

The 'Frack' thing in Battlestar Galactica was used in the original '70's show and obviously did it years before the Farscape equivalent.

Surely alternate swearing belongs to Judge Dredd. Drokk!

"STAKK! Genetik infantry! Aieee!"

I always thought Rogue Trooper had better swearing.

There are no Feldercarbs in this series which distresses me. There have been some fairly good episodes overall but I still think it should have been more like Space Above & Beyond. Theres not much in the way of lighthearted moments which I know is going to wear on me after a bit. Even Milennium had some funnies.

not so sure, must be the worst ep yet.

Considering how good it's been so far and how long it's been on, this being the worst yet does not mean it is bad :D

Click For Spoiler

I was surprised with the organic internals of the Cylon raider. It was a bit creepy too.

And I was waiting in anticipation for the wing-waving tribute to the last time a Starbuck got caught in a Cylon raider and had to get home in it ;)

I thought that was bloody brilliant (again). I love the interplay between the President and the Adamas. And that last scene had me a little bit choked because the relationships are so believable. Superb

ummm... in hindsight maybe a was too harse.

the adamaz are great, after the pres gave em the guilt trip , the way they looked at each other was like "is that it? i was expecting a lot worse WOOHOOO!!!!1" :D

Loved the way that when the Cylon got shot to shit, the one behind it just flung it out of the way to get to its target.

That bit was excellent. It's infuriatingly slow but dammit, I really want to find out where the Helo/Caprica storyline is going.

Other thoughts:

After last week's 'Get out. . while you still can' from Adama I thought Starbuck got off light in the end.

The organics of the Cylon were handled very well - it could have all gone quite wrong there.

Other than that, another good episode. it's consistently brilliant and I look forward to this every week. How many episodes are we in? Five? Six? Some of the pay-offs have to hit soon. Oh man!

Last night's was fucking stupid. Although all the stuff that didn't involve Starbuck stranded was good - hotwiring an organic robot by pulling it's cartilages was just ridiculous. As was making a spaceship airtight by shoving your jacket in the hole.