Venice Cull

Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

Even though Lee ate all the pies at one point, and the whole Final Five thing was a bit of a letdown, this is still IMO one of the greatest SF shows of all time, and the last great space show we've had.

• Upvote 6

As a show it's not really about those bits though. It's less space opera and more soap opera (in a good way). I think if you're watching it for the pew pew then you're going to be disappointed.

That just makes those bits all the better when they do show up though. It's an SF show that really earns its action moments, like DS9 before it.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

That just makes those bits all the better when they do show up though. It's an SF show that really earns its action moments, like DS9 before it.

I agree with this actually. The action sequences tend to be high quality too.

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

And Babylon 5 before that.

Poor, poor Babylon 5...

Richard Hatch (Apollo in the original series and Tom Zarek in the reboot) has died.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/07/richard-hatch-star-battlestar-galactica-dies-71/

Golden Globe nominated actor Richard Hatch, whose career spanned nearly a half-decade, today passed into eternity while surrounded by family and friends after an extended illness. Best known as Captain Apollo in the 1978 original Battlestar Galactica, and then as Tom Zarek in the 2003 re-imagined version, His career started with a stint on All My Children in 1971 as Philip Brent, and put in appearances on series ranging from Hawaii Five-O to The Streets of San Franciscoto Baywatch. In more recent years Richard has been featured in a range of independent productions.

He's pretty good in cameo appearances through a lot of episodes, especially as a charismatic foil to Rosslin, but there's not too many that focus completely on his deviousness.

He's full on Donald Trump campaigning in Colonial Day from S1. 

Then trying out some Trump border controls in A Disquiet Follows My Soul from S4

Staging a coup in The Oath from S4

Aftermath of the coup in Blood on The Scales from S4

Theres also a few fun episodes where he keeps trying to tempt Apollo to his way of thinking.

Jamie Bamber (Lee Adama) was on the Christmas University Challenge specials this week. He got lots right and is really posh. 

• Upvote 2

We're watching it at the moment. I've seen it when it originally aired but my other half hasn't. He's enjoying it a lot and I've warned him about the nosedive in quality later on. We're up to Pegasus tonight: can't wait to see his reaction to that. 

• Upvote 1

If you like the show then consider the boardgame. It's like being in your own episode of Galactica with everyone suspecting everyone of being a cylon all the while trying to keep the ship running, fighting off raiders and battling centurions. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah my work colleagues introduced me to the board game back in the day, it's ace. The players play co-operatively against the Cylons but one or more players can actually secretly be Cylons themselves. Then their job is for the other players to lose, which means acting very sneakily to try and get them to make bad decisions, and also choosing when to reveal themselves (usually in mighty acts of sabotage). Even better as the game goes on other people can also "discover" they are cylons so just like the show, you may end up being a good guy at the start and a bad guy by the end! Highly recommended, though you do need at least 4 people to get the most out of it due to the betrayal. 

• Upvote 1

Just worked my way through this recently myself after some stalled attempts. Bloody awesome stuff. Of course theres a few sub-par bits but overall its excellent.

Continuing a trend of starts podcasting about their old tv shows, a Battlestar Galactica has just started

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/blast-off-with-the-first-episode-of-our-new-podcast-battlestar-galacticast

We have commenced with Battlestar Galacticast, a new weekly deep-dive podcast hosted by Tricia Helfer (aka Number Six) and Marc Bernadin. Tricia and Marc will do an episode-by-episode rewatch of the Battlestar Galactica mini-series in its entirety — exploring, discussing, and debating the themes of the award-winning classic and revealing behind-the-scenes details that only a true BSG insider would know. From there, on to the first season!

• Upvote 1

Recently did a rewatch of this (took about a year). It's a fantastic show, one of the best ever made

The Expanse isn't in the same league. It's not even the same sport!

On 10/12/2018 at 20:15, Flams said:

If you like the show then consider the boardgame. It's like being in your own episode of Galactica with everyone suspecting everyone of being a cylon all the while trying to keep the ship running, fighting off raiders and battling centurions. 

Then you go mental and start painting a wall really aggressively 

• Upvote 2