Venice Cull

Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

It's still good. Isn't it?

Probably the best weekly Sci-Fi in recent years. Did everyone long abandoned it after the pilot? I've not heard a peep from anyone about it.

I've not actually seen Firefly or Stargate so perhaps my view is slightly tainted, but I'm certainly enjoying it and making a point to watch it each week.

It doesn't say anything about the human condition like StarTrek, nor have it's often mindbending self contained plot episodes, but it does have some very good long-running story arcs and presents a rather grim future for mankind which makes for compulsive viewing.

Really digging the whole 'body snatcher' paranoia, the 'against all odds' premise and the 98% cheese-free dialogue. Hell, even Starbuck has grown on me.

Yep I'm still enjoying it a lot...I'm particularly liking the scenes on Caprica...

Starbuck...well she's getting LESS annoying than the pilot, that's probably the best I can say at the moment....

battlestar is fucking aces!

I missed the 1st half of last weeks ep, but what i did see was great (prisoner revilt) and missed todays ep cos of work but its reapeted twice later this week.

in short BG is fucking ace and everyone on the forum should watch it. Starbuck aint so bad.

I also think it is truly excellent and many times better than the rather average original series. Ended on quite a cliffhanger tonight though. Hope she'll be alright...

Also, I wonder what Boomer on Caprica is trying to achieve. Is it just a case of using Helo to try and find any survivors and exterminate them? Or is it something more sinister?

I missed the original mini series/film/whatever it was but was so impressed and intrigued by the first episode that I downloaded it., and I've been watching since then.

I think the Boomer character is amazing.

They did steal the zooming camera shots of the ships from Firefly though. :lol:

EDIT: I'm up to the prison ship ep.

I'm still watching. Last night's episode was a cracker - the first part of a two parter. They're taking a lot of care giving the characters some personality and history so we actually give a fuck about them. I'd like to see more of the Caprica story too

Couple of questions in case I nodded of and missed something -

Why didn't they just jump every 30mins so they'd be gone before the Cylons got there, that way they could have got some sleep by working in shifts?

These human looking Cylons are they metal on the inside?

If so why can't they detect them easily?

I think they didn't jump 'cos they need to know they're not being followed. No, I don't think they're metal inside and yea, they can detect them easily enough (you'll see) but Baltar is a head case.

Also, I wonder what Boomer on Caprica is trying to achieve.  Is it just a case of using Helo to try and find any survivors and exterminate them?  Or is it something more sinister?

I'm curious about this too. I can't see Galactica coming back for Helo - they've surely jumped too far?

Last night's episode seemed slow going at first and then picked up immensely. Best part was during the Adama/Starbuck bit at the end. I thought the writers would cop out and have everyone forgive everyone and smile and 'get on with their jobs!' but nope - Edward James Olmos was fucking brilliant.

I think the Boomer on Caprica is a sleeper Cylon. She genuinely doesn't seem to know what the fuck is going on, and could've had her memories altered so that she really thinks she came back for him.

I think the Boomer on Caprica is a sleeper Cylon. She genuinely doesn't seem to know what the fuck is going on, and could've had her memories altered so that she really thinks she came back for him.

I thought the Boomer on the ship was the cylon?

I thought the Boomer on the ship was the cylon?

They both are.

Oh, and I'm up to volume 14 on Berserk, and issue 40 on Preacher, Preacher :o

I'm not so sure. In last night's episode at the beacon Helo caught her off-guard and her reaction seemed to suggest the Cylons hadn't quite thought of explaining away that signal.

I'm not so sure. In last night's episode at the beacon Helo caught her off-guard and her reaction seemed to suggest the Cylons hadn't quite thought of explaining away that signal.

Possibly. There was a look on her face in the ep where she killed a #6, when they were in the woods, that suggested she wasn't a sleeper too. Hmmm... But she's too gorgeous to be evil :o

Bloody great, innit?

I'm still watching, although I haven't seen this week's episode yet. The best bits for me are the space battles because no-one has done them even close to properly before. Usually they just have spacecraft flying like planes instead of taking advantage of zero-gravity. I thought the scene in the first episode where Starbuck and Apollo changed course to pull up behind that carrier was really cool.

I don't think Starbuck is annoying, she's lovely.

The word 'frack' is also quite hilarious.

Battlestar is genius and may as well have fuck all to do with the original. Edward James Olmos is a fucking legend of an actor. The acting is fucking brilliant. I've not been this impressed with Sci Fi - fuck it - scripted television in a long, long time.

Long live Battlestar Galactica.

Mary McDonnel (the president) is also fantastic. In fact, she's an absolutely brilliant actress in pretty much everything she's in.

There's not a dud amongst them - possibly the strongest cast I've seen in science fiction ever. Bhaltar, The Prez, Adama (x2) hell, even Starbuck. It's a truly astonishing series, one I'm hesitant to paint with the same sci-fi brush as crap like Buffy in space (Firefly) and the so far appalling Stargate Atlantis.

I only hope the Americans take to it like we are hopefully in the process of doing. God knows, if there were any justice in the world, this would go on forever and ever.

There's not a dud amongst them - possibly the strongest cast I've seen in science fiction ever.  Bhaltar, The Prez, Adama (x2) hell, even Starbuck. It's a truly astonishing series, one I'm hesitant to paint with the same sci-fi brush as crap like Buffy in space (Firefly) and the so far appalling Stargate Atlantis.

Firefly was nothing of the sort - it was a great little series and frankly, only a complete cretin would try to claim otherwise.

Now let's get back to the Edward James Olmos love-in. He's The Man.