Recommend Me A Whisky

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get hold of it in the UK, the Bulleit Blenders Select (likely a mix of contract-distilled Four Roses and Jim Beam bourbon) is a good upgrade.

Wild Turkey's Rare Breed is amazing - probably the best bourbon in its price class - definitely worth a try. It's a bit stronger than Bulleit, mind you (116 proof versus 90).

For anyone a fan of a smooth single malt, then you could do a lot worse than a bottle of Scapa. I got a bottle at Christmas and have just opened it this weekend. Although a non age effort, it's well worth a sample. Very smooth and sweet, which was pretty much the opposite of what I expected. An easy drinker for those that don't like it peaty. 

I have half a bottle of Scapa 16 rattling around, a birthday present (despite being southern as, I was born on Orkney) from a few years back before the prices spiked. Haven't had any in a while, but I remember it essentially being a posher take on Glenmorangie - very sweet, with a nice heather honey kind of character, but not really my thing. I prefer a sherry bomb if I want something on the sweeter end of the spectrum. I should revisit it and polish it off, really.

On the other hand, Highland Park (Orkney's other whisky), is my favourite day-to-day whisky in its standard 12 y/o variant.

I'm typically an Islay peat fan, but I've been looking to explore the smoother, sweeter side of single malts, so I've got a bottle of Glendronach 12 on the way. 

Fingers crossed it lives up to the word of mouth.

@GoblinUK, if you're looking to take a step up in terms of bourbons one of my personal favourites is Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey:

image.thumb.png.70db37758f405c557b7cf6b9012a90c0.png

£40 a bottle, so not too crazy, but absolutely beautiful stuff.

• 1 month later...
On 14/09/2020 at 23:04, Isaac said:

I'm typically an Islay peat fan, but I've been looking to explore the smoother, sweeter side of single malts, so I've got a bottle of Glendronach 12 on the way. 

Fingers crossed it lives up to the word of mouth.

@GoblinUK, if you're looking to take a step up in terms of bourbons one of my personal favourites is Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey:

image.thumb.png.70db37758f405c557b7cf6b9012a90c0.png

£40 a bottle, so not too crazy, but absolutely beautiful stuff.

This was very nice.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lucky said:

Currently £30 in Sainsbury's reduced from £45

First time I've tried this particular whisky. Would definitely recommend it and buy again. 

Found it to be very smooth.

image.png.8b1a7204dc8a6e7898ea2e04bfca967d.png

Ooooh, will check my local later. :)

edit: Not overly keen. It has a distinctly cidery "quality" to it. Also reminds me of Babycham which I used to drink at christmas as a small kid because for some reason my parents allowed that...

On 16/11/2020 at 15:16, Thor said:

Also reminds me of Babycham which I used to drink at christmas as a small kid because for some reason my parents allowed that...

spacer.png

Back on topic, working my way through my bottle of Caol Ila, which I'm enjoying. Unforseen positive side-effect - my 8 y/o daughter, who has both ASD and ADD, is awful at staying in bed in the evenings, and constantly comes downstairs with imaginary complaints. But if I'm drinking peated whisky, her heightened sensory state means she hates the smell so much that she stays upstairs. Triumph!

I give my liver about 6 months, but it's nice to have uninterrupted evenings again.

Thanks for the link to the thread @Thor. Genuinely not sure how I've missed this for so long as, by fortunate coincidence, I need rllmuk to 'recommend me a whisky' :) 

Background...

I've literally just finished a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair, Red Breast 12 and a Nikka From the Barrel over the past couple of weeks meaning my drinks cabinet is suddenly looking pretty empty with just the (relatively small) remainder of my Caol Ila Distillers Edition in there. I traditionally get a bottle of something from my Mum (and sometimes in-laws) at Christmas so I've put a Kovel Rye and Nikka Coffey Malt on the list for them, but on the off-chance they don't get me anything I definitely need to buy in something myself as a solid backup for the festive season.

Taste wise as you will have seen above I'm pretty varied, but at this time of year I would traditionally hang around the peaty island malts (literally, we usually go up to that region for a week in November with friends and come back with a few bottles after some tastings and distillery tours but Covid has got in the way of that :mad:). Given neither of my gift requests are that way inclined, I think this is what I need to pick-up myself.

Anyone got some interesting recommendations for circa £50?

I'm always sort of tempted back to a Ardbeg or Lagavulin 16 for some reliable peat, but would be up for trying something a little different.

If you enjoyed that Nikka from the Barrel, I would also recommend Suntory’s The Chita (smooth single grain, hints of honey and citrus) and possibly the Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt (slightly spiced). Both around £40-60.

I’ve also just recently finished off a bottle of Auchentoshan Three Wood. Around £40, but a hint of toffee if that’s your thing.

Thanks, will have a read up on them. I've liked everything I've tried by Nikka so far.

Incidentally, does anyone else here have a whisky list they are working through? I got bought the book "101 whiskies before you die" 3 years ago and me and a mate have been working through them when we can, either doing single tastings or drams in pubs (particularly when we are up in Scotland where the range is better) or buying bottles between us and trying them.

We are 34 into the 101 so far which I think is pretty good going, although I think I'm going to need to get the revised version and cross-check the list as some of them are now stupidly rare/expensive (or totally unavailable).

42 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Thanks for the link to the thread @Thor. Genuinely not sure how I've missed this for so long as, by fortunate coincidence, I need rllmuk to 'recommend me a whisky' :) 

Background...

I've literally just finished a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair, Red Breast 12 and a Nikka From the Barrel over the past couple of weeks meaning my drinks cabinet is suddenly looking pretty empty with just the (relatively small) remainder of my Caol Ila Distillers Edition in there. I traditionally get a bottle of something from my Mum (and sometimes in-laws) at Christmas so I've put a Kovel Rye and Nikka Coffey Malt on the list for them, but on the off-chance they don't get me anything I definitely need to buy in something myself as a solid backup for the festive season.

Taste wise as you will have seen above I'm pretty varied, but at this time of year I would traditionally hang around the peaty island malts (literally, we usually go up to that region for a week in November with friends and come back with a few bottles after some tastings and distillery tours but Covid has got in the way of that :mad:). Given neither of my gift requests are that way inclined, I think this is what I need to pick-up myself.

Anyone got some interesting recommendations for circa £50?

I'm always sort of tempted back to a Ardbeg or Lagavulin 16 for some reliable peat, but would be up for trying something a little different.

Paging @Gorf King :)

Whu?

Wait until the usual Amazon thing, and/or do a Bunnahabhain 12 when it drops to £30. Always do the latter anyway. 

£50 is an odd price point for whisky these days. It usually means you’re not buying when the price drops, or that you need to step up a price bracket or two. For just under that and for something ‘different’ I’d try something like a Craigellachie 13 or a cheap Springbank. But at full price Laga 16 is always good, despite its mass market-led shortcomings. Personally I’d get two bottles of Old Pulteney 12 when it hits £24, which it has right now. But I’d probably get all the others as well, so hey ho. Hey ho. 

Cheers.

The Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair is supposed to be essentially a semi-replacement for their 12 (but I don't think it's as good) and I've just finished one so think I'd like a change. Incidentally I tried the Bunnahabhain 25 about a year ago and it was absolutely fantastic, one of my all time favourites.

Your Springbank comment has got me thinking though, I might go back to a Kilkerran 12 or Longrow actually. The Kilkerran is up there on my all time 'bang for bucks' list and I've not had one for a while.

I've also not had Old Pulteney for years so might keep an eye out of a bottle of that as well if they are flying around at £24. Where is it on sale? :sealclap:

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

Amazon, Tesco (Clubcard price offer), maybe some others.

Ah, Amazon earlier on said out of stock until December some time but I'll check again. I think the wife has a club card somewhere so will have a look. Had a look at the places we shop normally and it's £30+ still. Will keep an eye out. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

20201129-173230.jpg

Not really had much Scotch whisky for several years. I will have the odd bourbon or rum if it's good stuff but I just stopped enjoying the typical Scotch notes quite so much. I came to prefer something a bit sweeter, I suppose.

Anyway, I saw a bottle of Uigeadail on offer, and fancied a Christmas drop for old times' sake. It turned up today, I'm having a small one, and I still think it is exceptionally good. A remarkable balance of big, booming flavours. 

I've never typically enjoyed Islay, nor do I really like a heavily sherried finish; this leans into both and it's stunning. The bottle says "treacle, bacon, bonfires", and I think that's selling it rather short. There's so much in here, I've taken about an hour over this measure and it's still opening up.

If you've never had it, I can't recommend it enough. If you have, get another. 

On 29/11/2020 at 18:18, Marlew said:

If you've never had it, I can't recommend it enough.

This sounds like my sort of Christmasy dram. I've only had the Ardbeg 10 and like it very much. Where did you get it on offer?

I picked up a £24 Old Pulteney 12 from Morrisons last week in the end (because at that price why not) but I definitely want something more peaty as well.

@FiveFootNinja It was via Amazon, in fact! It's like the 10 but with more sherry and dark sweetness to it, a bit less salty and peaty, more balanced overall. Really good stuff. 

Fair warning, it's also barrel proof so comes in at 54% which makes it a bit of a bruiser if you're used to 40%. Let it open up for a little while though and it settles down and reveals a whole lot more than the hot smoke. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 02:09, Gorf King said:

Whu?

Wait until the usual Amazon thing, and/or do a Bunnahabhain 12 when it drops to £30. Always do the latter anyway. 

£50 is an odd price point for whisky these days. It usually means you’re not buying when the price drops, or that you need to step up a price bracket or two. For just under that and for something ‘different’ I’d try something like a Craigellachie 13 or a cheap Springbank. But at full price Laga 16 is always good, despite its mass market-led shortcomings. Personally I’d get two bottles of Old Pulteney 12 when it hits £24, which it has right now. But I’d probably get all the others as well, so hey ho. Hey ho. 

I was just looking for Arbelour 12 on Amazon and the Old Pultney is cheaper (£28 vs £24) - it’s not one I’ve tried before, do you think I’d like it? My main whiskeys have been Arb 10/12, the long lost Strathisla 12, Nikka Barrel and more recently Jura single malt 10, which is okay but I prefer the others.

53 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I was just looking for Arbelour 12 on Amazon and the Old Pultney is cheaper (£28 vs £24) - it’s not one I’ve tried before, do you think I’d like it? My main whiskeys have been Arb 10/12, the long lost Strathisla 12, Nikka Barrel and more recently Jura single malt 10, which is okay but I prefer the others.

It's very different from them. The first two are quite heavily sherried, and Old Pulteney 12 hasn't a whiff of it. It's quite a 'pure' or straight malt whisky in the sense that it's matured only in ex-Bourbon barrels, mostly second fill, and there's no finishing at all. It's about as malt whisky as whisky gets these days, with not much influence from other flavours. So at 12yo it's quite light and coming from Wick it has a very maritime character. I get a lot of lemon and, crucially, malt flavours from it (the distillate comes through firmly and tastes great to me), and it's a bit saline, which is something I like. Bit of vanilla too. But none of those heavy fruit cake rich notes you'd get in a sherried whisky (certainly in the Arbelour). It's almost refreshing - has quite a bit of zing to it. So yeah, very different (and also to Nikka from the Barrel, which is just a weird and wonderful thing that I can't really categorise). Even if you're a big sherry fan - and I love me some of that too - it's good to have some variety and contrast on the shelf so for £24 it's a no-brainer for me.

So my sage advice is to get one of each.

I'm so jealous of you all with your cheap and often reduced whisky prices. Am paying at LEAST 50 quid here in Canada, with the good stuff (Laga16,Ardbeg etc) being more like 80 - 90 quid. There are NEVER discounts either.