rllmuk
Strawp

Recommend Me A Whisky

The JD single barrel selections are normally pretty good, especially if you can get them at barrel proof strength.

(my tastes in bourbon tend to run to Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Heaven Hill, but in a pinch, JD Single Barrel Select will do ;))

I just want to say that Lidl's Ben Bracken Speyside is an unbelievable single malt for £17. So good. I love a nice whisky but can rarely justify buying a bottle of something good. That's as nice to me as whiskies as costing two or three times as much. 

The Internet seems to think its a rebadged Tamnavulin which I have never tasted. 

• Upvote 2

On 07/06/2019 at 11:52, Alexlotl said:

I see the GlenDronach 15 is back (yay!) but now costs £60 a bottle (boo!).

My wife bought me a bottle of this for Christmas and I managed to make it last for three months or so. Took some discipline, because it was bloody lovely.

I don't know if it's worth roughly double my usual whisky spend - i.e. whatever single malt with age statement is on offer in Sainsbury's - but I'm pretty sure it was the best I've tried so far (having only really been into whisky for a few years).

• Upvote 1

Worth keeping an eye out for the little Glendronach gift packs they do at Christmas, with shorties of the 10, 12 and 15 (from memory). After Christmas, Sainsbury’s apply absolutely absurd discounts to them to get their shelf space back.

On 11/07/2019 at 20:33, deerokus said:

I just want to say that Lidl's Ben Bracken Speyside is an unbelievable single malt for £17. So good. I love a nice whisky but can rarely justify buying a bottle of something good. That's as nice to me as whiskies as costing two or three times as much. 

The Internet seems to think its a rebadged Tamnavulin which I have never tasted. 

Oh, that’s interesting. I’ve recently taken a shine to Tamnavulin, after it being on offer in multiple supermarkets. It’s a decent dram.

On 10 June 2019 at 15:59, Peter St John said:

The JD single barrel selections are normally pretty good, especially if you can get them at barrel proof strength.

(my tastes in bourbon tend to run to Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Heaven Hill, but in a pinch, JD Single Barrel Select will do ;))

Bulleit is showing up in more places and is pretty decent.

4 hours ago, smac said:

Bulleit is showing up in more places and is pretty decent.

I tend to avoid Bulleit due to the long-running saga detailed here:https://neatpour.com/2019/07/exclusive-hollis-b-worth-talks-about-bulleit-diageo-split/  but it's definitely decent for the price! (and for a long time it was contracted-distilled by Four Roses, so if you like Bulleit, there's a good chance you'll enjoy any Four Roses bourbon too).

My local has recently refurnished and got a few new items; any of these stand out?  

They have a wider range of Kilchomans and Glenallachies then I'm showing here so feel free to mention others in the ranges here. I generally like smokey/peaty stuff.

image.png.b3fc7428377104d07f4649768e27d928.pngimage.png.99a3dbd155d9d7de4c094229a6c26909.pngimage.png.5997eeca26334e050acfd4d4146c19e3.pngimage.png.9a57d3ea9fdd8fb959d1c2c4c8abb823.png image.png.eba2d33d57679d00d6bc5ad3e0240af8.png

I went with Aberlour Abunnadh in the end. Had one dram and it was magical, very warm/hot scotch and quite Christmassy  too, think it has notes of cinnamon/toffee etc

• Upvote 1

I usually drink scotch, but have found myself quite fond of Gentleman Jack.

I usually buy 3 bottles when it's £20 on Amazon. ( £23 at the moment )

14 hours ago, Lucky said:

One of my favourite's.

Good offer too at Tesco

image.png.4eda3ae663ba44338db0c5bd961a13ee.png

This and Cardhu Gold seem to be on a cycle, where a different supermarket has one or both of them on offer every week. I’d imagine people have stopped buying them at full price, because they know they’ll be on offer somewhere else. 

Got a bottle of The Dalmore 15 year for Xmas, I told my dad to get it during the black Friday deals, so it cost him 'only' £50. 

One of the best whiskies I've ever had. 

I'm still pretty new to whiskies (2-3 years?), I get high quality ones. The good ones taste amazing for the first glasses but after a while I find they become very harsh, almost like burning chemicals or something? Still enjoyable but not as smooth as they were originally. I tend to keep my whiskies for months, isn't that normal? You are not supposed to consume over a week are you? I keep them tightly capped obviously. Am I missing anything?

My Dad got me a bottle of Glenfiddich Founder's Reserve. Waste of time to be honest. Totally boring whisky.

No doubt it was the cheapest in the shop.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

My Dad got me a bottle of Glenfiddich Founder's Reserve. Waste of time to be honest. Totally boring whisky.

No doubt it was the cheapest in the shop.

I assume you mean Glenlivet Founder's Reserve? And yes, it's a fucking shite. 

Thing is, bland boring whiskies aren't only the domain of cheap NAS ones. I've got a bottle of Cardhu 15 year and ... well, it's utterly fucking rubbish. I may have to relegate it to Old Fashioned duty... 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Capwn said:

I'm still pretty new to whiskies (2-3 years?), I get high quality ones. The good ones taste amazing for the first glasses but after a while I find they become very harsh, almost like burning chemicals or something? Still enjoyable but not as smooth as they were originally. I tend to keep my whiskies for months, isn't that normal? You are not supposed to consume over a week are you? I keep them tightly capped obviously. Am I missing anything?

No, whisky can be consumed quickly, or over a long period of time. You can even use expensive ones in cocktails. It's entirely up to you, and how you want to drink it. 

I tend to go through a bottle very quickly. 

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

I assume you mean Glenlivet Founder's Reserve? And yes, it's a fucking shite. 

Thing is, bland boring whiskies aren't only the domain of cheap NAS ones. I've got a bottle of Cardhu 15 year and ... well, it's utterly fucking rubbish. I may have to relegate it to Old Fashioned duty... 

Sorry you're correct. It's Glenlivet.

Making whisky and ginger beer drinks with it.

Once the bottle is open, oxidation will change a whisky’s taste over time, though. If you’re a top tier loony you can buy inert gas to displace the oxygen in the bottle prior to corking.

It’s no doubt overstated, but it’s a real thing. I had a bottle of Ledaig 10 which went from fire-in-a-TCP-factory to something much more mellow as the bottle progressed.

• Upvote 1

On 02/01/2020 at 18:23, Thor said:

I've got a bottle of Cardhu 15 year and ... well, it's utterly fucking rubbish. I may have to relegate it to Old Fashioned duty... 

I think this is one of the wrongest things I’ve ever read on the entire internet.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I have a bad bottle? Speyside whiskies have always been my favourite, but the bottle of Cardhu 15 I have is shit. Honestly, it's shit. A truly epic disappointment. :(

I've not been in this thread before but last year I had the realisation that if I drink expensive whisky I drink less, spend less, enjoy it more and have less of a hangover. I guess I'm lucky I can sip a whisky at the rate much people drink a pint happily. Anyway I thought I'd rank all the (affordable) ones I've tried so far that I can remember. I'lll stick to scoth as I don't haven;t had enough bourbon to comment but Buffalo Trace is the best of the cheap ones for me.

Top Tier

Glengoyne ten year (really good tour this one)

Highland Park

Laphroig 

Middle Tier

Glenmorangie 

Glenlivet 12 year

Glenfiddich (bit boring)

Lidl Speyside (Ben Bracken), glad others enjoy it too. Incredible value for money

Talisker

Lidl sold out of all their whisky before Christmas but my local is fully stocked, so I'll report back on their Islay and Highland versions when I've got some more cash. It's important to have nice cheap whisky, so you can give guests a little of an expensive one and then lots of the cheap ones.

Highland Park is lovely stuff, and would make my top tier, along with GlenDronach 15 and Balvenie Doublewood.

I'd also like to be better acquainted with Bunnahabhain 12, which I would have come home with had the GlenDronach 15 not also been in the same tasting session.