IGNORED

The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

20 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

https://www.beer52.com/MSE22

Another one off warehouse special from Beer 52.

26 quid for 24 beers delivered. 

Mine arrived on Thursday, got some interesting beers in there. 

Also a fiend picked up some of Tiny Rebels February drop and grabbed me a case. 

Norris is possibly the sourest thing I've ever put in my mouth. Not a fan but my mate Chris loved it. 

https://www.tinyrebel.co.uk/beer/feb-drop-4s

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/14/brewdog-boss-hired-private-investigators-to-gather-evidence-of-alleged-smear-campaign

The boss of BrewDog, James Watt, hired private investigators to obtain information about people whom he believed were taking part in a smear campaign against him and repeatedly accused one woman of being involved until she blocked him on social media.

According to multiple sources and evidence seen by the Guardian, private investigators who said they were working for Watt approached people to gather evidence about those who he appeared to believe had maligned him.

One subject of their inquiries, Rob MacKay, an ex-BrewDog employee, had appeared in a BBC documentary, The Truth About BrewDog, which made claims about the company’s workplace culture and Watt’s personal behaviour as an employer, including towards women.

A former colleague of MacKay’s says he was visited at work by two ex-policemen working for a company called Integritas Investigative Solutions.

“They said they’d been hired by James Watt and were serious crime investigators,” the former colleague said.

“They said they’d been hired by James’s lawyers to build a case. They asked me how well I knew Rob, how I found working with him and how did it compare to experiences in BrewDog.”

The men left a business card for Integritas.

Integritas investigators also approached a friend of a female former acquaintance of Watt asking for details of their discussions, evidence reviewed by the Guardian indicates, after Watt became convinced that she was involved in online allegations about him that appeared on social media.

The woman, who asked not to be named, also received multiple messages from Watt himself, in which he told her he had “extensive evidence from multiple sources of what you and others have been doing” and warned she could face legal action.

Despite her repeated denials, he continued sending her messages by email and on Instagram until she blocked him.

In June last year, BrewDog apologised to former employees who accused the company and Watt in an open letter of fostering a “culture of fear” in which workers were bullied and “treated like objects”. Members of Punks With Purpose, the group behind the letter, took part in the BBC documentary, which aired earlier this year.

Watt was later accused of trying to “intimidate” people who appeared on the programme, after he issued a public warning in advance of the broadcast that they could be unmasked in court and that it was “not too late” to pull out.

He disputes the allegations in the documentary and has since lodged a complaint against the BBC with media regulator Ofcom.

One former BrewDog staff member in the US, who also appeared on the show, said he felt put under pressure by lawyers acting for BrewDog to retract his statements.

Dylan Gray, who worked in a BrewDog bar in Columbus, Ohio, said during the documentary that he believed James Watt’s behaviour towards female employees had made them uncomfortable and that he had tried to ensure fewer women were working when he was around.

Soon after the programme aired, he said, US lawyers acting for BrewDog contacted him disputing the claims and asking him to retract them.

A BrewDog spokesperson said: “James Watt has been subjected to a two-year criminal campaign of online harassment, defamation, fraud, blackmail and malicious communications, instigated by a very small group of individuals. Investigators were hired to find the source of these false allegations, to seek to bring this to an end.

“As a result of those investigations, our lawyers are pursuing a private criminal prosecution for fraud and malicious communications in a court in London, there are related civil proceedings under way in Scotland and other matters have been reported to the police. These proceedings also relate to individuals directly involved in the leadership of the Punks With Purpose movement.

“We will no longer allow blatant lies to be told about our business or our people. Where those lies are told, we are duty bound to set the record straight and will expect retractions where required. We hope that by taking this action now, we can bring this deeply distressing campaign to an end.”

Integritas said it had “uncovered evidence of a very clear criminal campaign, organised by a small group of individuals seemingly intent on causing harm to Mr Watt and BrewDog.

“We conduct all our investigations with the utmost integrity,” it said.

Fuck Brewdog right into the bin. If there was anybody on the fence about boycotting them, this should be the final nail in the coffin.

Blended this myself three years ago on the Toer de Geuze and opened it tonight to belatedly celebrate my birthday and moving house (and country). It’s fucking delicious.

41C6674F-3453-463F-8F3F-417B1DF7FDB3.thumb.jpeg.e7f82cf60e4e78840d83814a93fc09b8.jpeg

14 hours ago, Camel said:

Blended this myself three years ago on the Toer de Geuze and opened it tonight to belatedly celebrate my birthday and moving house (and country). It’s fucking delicious.

41C6674F-3453-463F-8F3F-417B1DF7FDB3.thumb.jpeg.e7f82cf60e4e78840d83814a93fc09b8.jpeg

Awesome, where did you do that tour?

14 minutes ago, Camel said:

In Pajottenland where the geuze breweries are located.

https://www.horal.be/en/toer-de-geuze-2022

It’s on next month, it’s usually bi-annual and consists of various tours of the breweries which have what are essentially open days. I’ve done it twice now and it’s great. Highly recommended.

That's great, thanks.  I've toured Cantillon in Brussels but never been to any of the ones on that tour.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2022 at 12:08, Skull Commander said:

Brew by numbers doing 50 percent off everything for a limited time with the code BBNO50

I have to say I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the discounted order I got last month overall, and if I had paid full price I would have been pretty miffed. The gose, pale ale and porter are "good" and everything else was okay but nothing special. None of the beers were outstanding and the Chocolate Orange stout had a hint of chocolate and no trace of orange. Far better beers available at that price point imo. 

At the full price point or the 50% off price point? They're not my no. 1 brewery or anything but they've always been reliably good and seem hard to beat at 50% off. I'd love a link to where I can get better beer for £60 / 24 440ml cans if you've got one!

20 hours ago, hmm said:

At the full price point or the 50% off price point? They're not my no. 1 brewery or anything but they've always been reliably good and seem hard to beat at 50% off. I'd love a link to where I can get better beer for £60 / 24 440ml cans if you've got one!

Each to their own, but I could easily get a decent selection of 24 beers for 60 quid from the supermarket which would be nicer in my opinion. The other week I picked up some Hop Skip & Juice from Vocation reduced to £1.25 per can (Asda) and in Morrisons I got some Northern Monk Northern Star down to a quid a tin. Home Bargains also has upped their game and they have some Saugatuck neapolitan stout for under 3 quid a pop and Thornbridge Astryd for £1.69. 

On 04/04/2022 at 14:03, Isaac said:

Loved this video:

No surprise which beer is the best widely-available lager in his eyes:

Hide contents

Pilsner Urquell

This made me buy some Pilsner Urquell.

Makes me long to be back in Leeds so I can drink unfiltered fresh tank Pilsner Urquell. Best pint of lager ever.

15 hours ago, El Spatula said:

This made me buy some Pilsner Urquell.

Makes me long to be back in Leeds so I can drink unfiltered fresh tank Pilsner Urquell. Best pint of lager ever.

It prompted me to buy some too (6x330ml cans for £5 in waitrose)! 😂

I don't drink much lager so will make a change to have some.

• 3 weeks later...

What is so good about that beer?

I've a couple of mates who bang on about it and seen folk on FB groups I use bang on about it as well.

Can't help thinking that it's because it's hard to get in the US let alone here.

1 hour ago, memories said:

I've a couple of mates who bang on about it and seen folk on FB groups I use bang on about it as well.

Can't help thinking that it's because it's hard to get in the US let alone here.

It was pretty much the first of the modern 'West Coast' IPA's and, as a style definer, was hugely influential so that always makes it a beer that is sought out.

That was twenty odd years ago though and tastes/styles have certainly changed. When I tried this a few years back, I found it a little underwhelming at first but, really, it is just quite a lot softer and less aggressive than modern high ABV IPA styles. 

One of those small US beer importers had some bottles a few weeks ago but they sold out in seconds so I missed out. Pretty fairly priced too at £12 or so..

£12 a bottle, fuck that. 

One of those two mate I mentioned is always getting US import stuff like Other Half, Treehouse etc. Think someone in Aberdeen must import them. How he can justify £10-15 for a 440ml tin is beyond me but if he is happy then good on him. He says these US beers are so much better than what we get here.

Ive had Other Half before and yeah it's decent but I didn't find it any better than some of the big hazy IPA producers from the UK.

I'm going to NY in a few months for a holiday (fucking covid permitting) and the Other Half tap room at the Rockefeller is 6 minutes from my hotel so will be paying that a visit.

I've had Westvleteren 12 which is always in the top handful of beers in the world on things like rate beer and TBH it didn't really taste any much different to other Belgian Trappist Quadruples.  I wouldn't even rate it as the nicest Belgium Beer I've had!

Not had any of the very highly rated US beers but as I 'one-off' I wouldn't begrudge spending £10-15 especially if sharing with a fellow beer monster

7 hours ago, memories said:

Basically everything that @Mike Ssaid.

I've got zero interest in the big hazy IPAs that are all the rage these days so Pliny is basically my perfect beer. So easy to drink and so well made, I'd love to knock back a few pints on draught in California sometime.

2 hours ago, memories said:

£12 a bottle, fuck that. 

One of those two mate I mentioned is always getting US import stuff like Other Half, Treehouse etc. Think someone in Aberdeen must import them. How he can justify £10-15 for a 440ml tin is beyond me but if he is happy then good on him. He says these US beers are so much better than what we get here.

Ive had Other Half before and yeah it's decent but I didn't find it any better than some of the big hazy IPA producers from the UK.

I'm going to NY in a few months for a holiday (fucking covid permitting) and the Other Half tap room at the Rockefeller is 6 minutes from my hotel so will be paying that a visit.

That Pliny was a pretty fair price really given the relative expense of shipping bottles from the US. Cheaper than a flight to San Francisco for sure...

As for the US beers being way better than we have here, I suspect your friend is suffering from a degree of kidology. WhenOH, Treehouse, Trillium, Monkish, whoever et al's hazy are good they really can be better than anyone but we now have plenty of breweries in the UK that are consistently making very good beers in that hazy, hoppy, style that the US pioneered. When spending a tenner or more for a can, plus it being a bit rarer over here, the hype can take over the taste buds,

I suspect you'll find the OH beers to be very enjoyable indeed but whether that its the same at ten quid for a cab compared to $5 is another matter. Be sure to visit Finback too as they make, for me, the best beer I've had out of NYC.

5 minutes ago, minstrels said:

I've got zero interest in the big hazy IPAs that are all the rage these days so Pliny is basically my perfect beer. So easy to drink and so well made, I'd love to knock back a few pints on draught in California sometime.

Yep, easy to drink is the best description.

I very much enjoy the big hoppy, hazy, beers but sometimes it is very, very pleasing to drink something that isn't screaming all it's hops and sugar and, instead, just sip on something clean and balanced and with that soft  bitterness. I have gotten into lager a bit more over the years as a counter balance to the hop forward beers but even contemporary West Coast IPAs act as nice changes of pace.

Definitely need to find me some Pliny again and, yeah, a pint or two over at the source would be very pleasing indeed.

1 hour ago, minstrels said:

I remember some of your previous post about having no interest in the hazy stuff. I don't mind the west coast style now and again, can be a refreshing change from the neipa style that is everywhere.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

That Pliny was a pretty fair price really given the relative expense of shipping bottles from the US. Cheaper than a flight to San Francisco for sure...

As for the US beers being way better than we have here, I suspect your friend is suffering from a degree of kidology. WhenOH, Treehouse, Trillium, Monkish, whoever et al's hazy are good they really can be better than anyone but we now have plenty of breweries in the UK that are consistently making very good beers in that hazy, hoppy, style that the US pioneered. When spending a tenner or more for a can, plus it being a bit rarer over here, the hype can take over the taste buds,

I suspect you'll find the OH beers to be very enjoyable indeed but whether that its the same at ten quid for a cab compared to $5 is another matter. Be sure to visit Finback too as they make, for me, the best beer I've had out of NYC.

Agree, he's gotten wrapped up in the hype and is just riding that wave.

I reckon the OH will be cracking on tap, looking forwards to it. Scoped out a couple of "craft" bars that Im hoping to get too as well, going with family so mainly ones that serve food so hopefully the kids can come in too. On holiday usually head off for a few beers at night when the kids are in bed and the wife is happy enough when in places like London but she is already a bit wary about me doing it in NY, I can understand that though.

I was looking at Finback the other week as well but we are staying in Manhattan and it's just too far out the way for a visit unfortunately.

41 minutes ago, memories said:

Agree, he's gotten wrapped up in the hype and is just riding that wave.

I reckon the OH will be cracking on tap, looking forwards to it. Scoped out a couple of "craft" bars that Im hoping to get too as well, going with family so mainly ones that serve food so hopefully the kids can come in too. On holiday usually head off for a few beers at night when the kids are in bed and the wife is happy enough when in places like London but she is already a bit wary about me doing it in NY, I can understand that though.

I was looking at Finback the other week as well but we are staying in Manhattan and it's just too far out the way for a visit unfortunately.

Aah, right, gotcha.

If you can make it a bit further downtown either for a walkabout with the family or on an after hours sneak then Crown Alley in Chelsea (IIRC) is an excellent bar with a fantastic range of beers from New York and surrounding States. They had a few Hill Farmtead's on draught when we visited a few years ago which was great as they really are a believe the hype brewery.

As for Finback, you should come down to Manchester in a couple of weeks as Cloudwater will have a few Finback (plus OH and Evil Twin NYC) kegs on!