The Beer Thread

14 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

How are the teku glasses out of interest, was looking at them last week and wondering if they are any good.  I have some Spiegelau ones currently

I like the glass, it's small, so it would take most of a small can but the big 440s are closer to two glasses when using it. I prefer that as it slows me down a bit, I tend to drink quicker the bigger the glass I have. Plus it's a nice looking glass.

As to the mythical properties that they are supposed to have around letting you smell the beer better, the taste lingering on your tongue more due to the rim and all that stuff - I dunno! Doesn't seem any different from the Beer Hawk schooner I have! :-)

4 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I like the glass, it's small, so it would take most of a small can but the big 440s are closer to two glasses when using it. I prefer that as it slows me down a bit, I tend to drink quicker the bigger the glass I have. Plus it's a nice looking glass.

As to the mythical properties that they are supposed to have around letting you smell the beer better, the taste lingering on your tongue more due to the rim and all that stuff - I dunno! Doesn't seem any different from the Beer Hawk schooner I have! :-)

Thanks, I did wonder if they were more of a 'tasting' glass rather than a 'drinking' one.  Can't be doing with the full bottle/ can not fitting in :lol:

On 10/05/2021 at 13:13, memories said:

My favourite supermarket beer at the moment is the Northern Monk Faith in the Future DDH IPA, it's so good.

Strong agree with this

If someone had shown me 6 or 7 years ago what my local Tesco beer section looked like I'd have been amazed. But I don't think many of the beers taste much like they did back then - certainly punk IPA, and the Beavertown beers seem like pale shadows of their former selves

But that Northern Monk one is (for now) excellent

3 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

The Salt/Siren Kveik IPA from Morrisons is pretty good.

Good to hear cos I picked one up today. Also got one of these:

Northern-Monk-Dont-Mess-With-Yorkshire-R

Was a bit of a pulava getting them to actually sell it to me cos the barcode wouldn't scan but got there in the end.

Looking forward to both!

I noticed the other day that M&S are selling a beer from Polly's Brew Co who are one of the best craft breweries in the country imo. Gave it a try and wasn't disappointed, super hazy and tropical, a million times better than those Cloudwater (brewed at Brewdog) beers that have appeared in Tesco.

On that topic I do find it weird that a great brewery like Cloudwater have put their name on some pretty generic beers that they've outsourced to Brewdog.

Just rated that Rhubard & Custard beer a 5 on Untappd, which I’ve never done before.

Like normally when it says it’s a flavour you might get a hint of it on first mouthful, or an aftertaste - or worse, it tastes more like pop than beer. But this is just unreal. Full on rhubarb and custard sweets while also  being very obviously beer. Love it!

18 hours ago, RadgyAdgy said:

I noticed the other day that M&S are selling a beer from Polly's Brew Co who are one of the best craft breweries in the country imo. Gave it a try and wasn't disappointed, super hazy and tropical, a million times better than those Cloudwater (brewed at Brewdog) beers that have appeared in Tesco.

On that topic I do find it weird that a great brewery like Cloudwater have put their name on some pretty generic beers that they've outsourced to Brewdog.

M&S are generally the best supermarket for quality craft beers from good breweries I find.

I don't think they do the 'made for supermarkets' thing, you're just getting cans of their actual beer they sell in the independents / pubs.

My local M&S usually has a decent Brew by Numbers selection for example.

It is a bit hit and miss though, depends on the specific branch you go in.

On 13/05/2021 at 21:09, disperse and recoagulate said:

Just rated that Rhubard & Custard beer a 5 on Untappd, which I’ve never done before.

Like normally when it says it’s a flavour you might get a hint of it on first mouthful, or an aftertaste - or worse, it tastes more like pop than beer. But this is just unreal. Full on rhubarb and custard sweets while also  being very obviously beer. Love it!

Trying it just now.

It's bizarre. Can't argue with what it is, does what it says on the tin, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

On 14/05/2021 at 14:58, Skull Commander said:

Must have been the week for it. I popped along to Morrisons yesterday and went for these (even though I really don't need anymore beer at the moment). 

IMG_20210514_145732.jpg

Full fathom five is fantastic, a no nonsense ace porter.

All I tried from that selection this weekend was "Don't mess with Yorkshire". I liked it enough and it was pretty decent.

For my porter fix I had a can of "Nougat a Friend In Me" by Brew York and Gweilo (from Sainsburys) . It was meant to be Toblerone in a tin, but veered more towards a hint of double decker for me. It wasn't up to previous Brew York stouts I've tried, but still better than a lot of the supermarket ranges of late. One thing I didn't like about it, was that the nose was quite unpleasant. It is what I would imagine almonds in wet sweaty socks may smell like. Thankfully the taste didn't share that characteristic! 

A special shout out to the can design which was pretty ace! 

IMG_20210517_154526.jpg

21 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Trying to get my wife something craft… her favourite beer is Peroni - is there anything out there that is light and crisp like that - but also really nice?

Lost and Grounded make a fantastic lager that isn't too expensive and is available in larger branches of Waitrose if you wanted to dip your toe in:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/lost-and-grounded-keller-pils/823634-692475-692476

23 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Trying to get my wife something craft… her favourite beer is Peroni - is there anything out there that is light and crisp like that - but also really nice?

Innis & Gun lager is fantastic and can usually be found in the big supermarkets.

Each to their own, but I don't taste a difference between the big brand lagers and Innis and Gunn at all.

Tastes like Carling or something.

:o harsh :P

I love a cold I&G on a hot day. I may be biased as it's what got me to move away from drinking just Tennents and Bud many years ago so always has a soft spot for me.

A mate who was into his craft beers told me to try it on a night out and then over the next few months he opened me up to new styles like IPAs, NEIPA, sours etc but it all started for me with I&G's craft lager.

Got a note coming round tomorrow afternoon for some beers, got nice little stash in.

Might have to go easy on the dipas, meeting another mate for food early evening and want to actually make it out. Will be the first time in a bar in over a year, got a 2 hour slot for food, feeling a bit anxious about it really.

IMG_20210520_184337__01.jpg

On 18/05/2021 at 08:29, memories said:

I love a cold I&G on a hot day. I may be biased as it's what got me to move away from drinking just Tennents and Bud many years ago so always has a soft spot for me.

A foamy mug of piss would be enough to tempt me away from Bud so I don't know if this is a massive endorsement really!

Anyone sampled much of the Brew York range? I thought I had read good things, maybe in here even, but I've not really loved anything I've tried so far. Their pun game is strong but the beer is mostly over-flavoured gimmicks so far.

36 minutes ago, hmm said:

A foamy mug of piss would be enough to tempt me away from Bud so I don't know if this is a massive endorsement really!

Anyone sampled much of the Brew York range? I thought I had read good things, maybe in here even, but I've not really loved anything I've tried so far. Their pun game is strong but the beer is mostly over-flavoured gimmicks so far.

Brew York are a great brewery, but they're definitely of that new wave of breweries that get by mostly on gimmick beers. Try and seek out their 'normal' beers if you can, they do a great American Pale and West Coast IPA.