Jump to content

The Beer Thread


Professor Rob
 Share

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Isaac said:

 

Too right - I had that lager the other day and it was delicious.

 

I bet it was!

 

They are a brewery that I don't really drink that often as my local bottle shop doesn't stock them but always enjoy their lagers very much when I do. 

 

I highly recommend the Notch lagers that I had the other night, their Rauchbier is the best I've had in that style, the Helles was sensational and the two Czech Dark Lagers an eye opener to a style that I've not really tried too much of in the past, and when I did never really cared for. The two brewers, Chris and Brienne, have a dedication to lager that is extraordinary and their enthusiasm just added to my enjoyment of the beers. Seeing as I now well and truly tired of TIPA's and pastry stouts I think I'll be concentrating on lager experimentation this summer...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/03/2021 at 20:40, minstrels said:

Nah, it doesn't matter what hops are in there, they always just taste like sweet, muddy messes. I find it really hard to discern any flavours from them whatsoever.

 

This is as crazy as someone dismissing all lagers because they all the taste the same.

 

Have you tried comparing single hop beers alongside each other as, frankly, I'd be amazed if anyone could not discern the difference between, for example, a Mosaic and an Idaho 7 hopped beer. A few breweries have programmes of single hop IPAs and/or DIPAs designed to allow exactly that sort of head to head - Cloudwater release a series of beers each year showcasing their latest crop hops ( I think they got up to 19 last year time round) but frequently offer shorter series of hop variations, and Deya have their wonderful 'Saturated In..' series. I'd really recommend that sort of 'vertical tasting'.

 

I agree that there has been a fad for sweetness in the UK but it's not something that I have found intolerable in most of  the beers I've drunk (and I can be a bit sensitive to overt sweetness). There are certainly drier, more bitter modern beers out there though if you dig a little and I am certainly seeing more and more drier beers from US breweries, and not just under the West Coast style label, so hopefully the UK brewers will start to follow that trend sooner rather than later.

 

Meanwhile, I need to call my bottle shop mate and get those two new SMOD's ordered...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

 

This is as crazy as someone dismissing all lagers because they all the taste the same.

 

Have you tried comparing single hop beers alongside each other as, frankly, I'd be amazed if anyone could not discern the difference between, for example, a Mosaic and an Idaho 7 hopped beer. A few breweries have programmes of single hop IPAs and/or DIPAs designed to allow exactly that sort of head to head - Cloudwater release a series of beers each year showcasing their latest crop hops ( I think they got up to 19 last year time round) but frequently offer shorter series of hop variations, and Deya have their wonderful 'Saturated In..' series. I'd really recommend that sort of 'vertical tasting'.

 

I agree that there has been a fad for sweetness in the UK but it's not something that I have found intolerable in most of  the beers I've drunk (and I can be a bit sensitive to overt sweetness). There are certainly drier, more bitter modern beers out there though if you dig a little and I am certainly seeing more and more drier beers from US breweries, and not just under the West Coast style label, so hopefully the UK brewers will start to follow that trend sooner rather than later.

 

Meanwhile, I need to call my bottle shop mate and get those two new SMOD's ordered...

Yeah, it's definitely crazy and I don't quite understand it myself. I have a decent palate but for some reason it's just totally dull to New England style IPAs. I should probably spend a bit of time and do a vertical tasting like you say, but I've never bothered to put in the effort as I've never really enjoyed the style. 

 

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

 

And not one lager but loads of IPA!

Three Black IPAs though. :wub:

 

1 hour ago, hmm said:

There was a can of that Mission rye IPA in my first box from HB&B and it was lovely. Did you buy direct?

Yep, I always buy direct from Elusive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Starting the weekend with a can of the SMOD Fluffy White Rabbits.

 

It's excellent, probably just pips the Biere De Mars to my favourite so far from them but we are talking small margins and pretty much everything I've had from them so far I'd make a point to buy again.

 

IMG_4824_1024x1024.jpg?v=1616242704

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve just had the Koel It Nectaron with my Friday night pizza and really enjoyed it. They just don’t miss. 
 

Such a great addition to the Sheffield scene where we already have a strong brewing market. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had that as well, really good.

 

I'm struggling to think of another UK brewer with such a good 'hit' rate.

 

I'm waaaaayyyy down south (West Kent) and it's weird that a county so steeped in hops has a fairly weak brewery scene (there's some OK ones but very stuck in the old styles).

 

Beak not too far down the road though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This week’s beer tasting featured this bad boy. Deep, chocolatey porter aged in bourbon barrels for 440 days. Absolutely delicious! Although its a whopping 11% it doesn’t taste overly alcoholic or ”special brew”-y, but I think anything more than two could put you into a coma.

 

Oh, and it’s £15 a bottle.

9078B0A1-C553-496F-A0BE-BA5D0383E920.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Managed to get some Citra T90 Unfiltered in the Oakham sale, less hoppy than the original but still the original bwad bwoy.  Gave some cans to my nephew to share with his mates, hope he enjoys them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a mail from Verdant a few days ago about a mystery case available to existing customers for £30.  Arrived today and it's got 11 different beers in it quite a few of which I've not had before so really happy.  Even better its got a porter, an export stout, an imperial stout and a baltic porter in there :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a few beers at the weekend.

 

This Czech pilsner was absolutely fantastic.

 

image.thumb.png.052ad0b6a35c14e648921fae472fc1e0.png

 

A couple from SMOD as well, the Fluffy White Rabbits and Koel It Nectaron which were both excellent.

 

Also made a bit of an effort on starting to appreciate hazy IPAs more so I had this from Burnt Mill.

 

image.thumb.png.9aa385d0f90c84d615b712cf187e46ea.png

 

Really enjoyable beer let down by a horrible hop burn. Couple more weeks in can and it'd probably be perfect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/03/2021 at 13:43, minstrels said:

Had a few beers at the weekend.

 

This Czech pilsner was absolutely fantastic.

 

image.thumb.png.052ad0b6a35c14e648921fae472fc1e0.png

 

A couple from SMOD as well, the Fluffy White Rabbits and Koel It Nectaron which were both excellent.

 

Also made a bit of an effort on starting to appreciate hazy IPAs more so I had this from Burnt Mill.

 

image.thumb.png.9aa385d0f90c84d615b712cf187e46ea.png

 

Really enjoyable beer let down by a horrible hop burn. Couple more weeks in can and it'd probably be perfect.

What did you expect from the Burnt Mill :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Beak 3.5% beer they have out (Lulla) is a really, really good table beer.

 

And perfect timing giving the weather at the moment.

 

If you see one in a bottle shop near you snap a few up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good session on Oakham Double Hopped Citra (£1 a can from M&S), lovely beer, also for Loch Lomond Bravehop beer from Lidl for £1.79 a can, different flavour entirely but great to see Scotland making great beer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't like Brewdog that much any more, I'll visit their bar in a small town where it's the only place to get decent craft guest beers, but their own brews are pretty bland and rubbish now.

 

I don't know if it's Punk IPA that's changed or if it's my tastes but I tried it the other day and it tasted bland, which I wouldn't have dreamed of saying a few years ago.

 

Anyway, I picked up a few tinnies on Friday and some of these were really, really good:

 

image.thumb.png.ce04d41ebec065c5d8b41c265296892e.png

 

20 Watt Moon by Verdant is a cracking beer. So was the Plantgazer by Neon Raptor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Punk IPA has changed for sure. Last year they were selling "Retro boxes" which were old branding that was short coded. I opened a new punk and an old punk and they were different. I took this (not very good) picture at the time and you can actually see the difference in the colour. The old one had much more flavour. 

IMG_20200905_225311.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Punk IPA has changed for sure. Last year they were selling "Retro boxes" which were old branding that was short coded. I opened a new punk and an old punk and they were different. I took this (not very good) picture at the time and you can actually see the difference in the colour. The old one had much more flavour. 

IMG_20200905_225311.jpg

 

Wow, yeah that explains it.

 

The beers taste thinner, for want of a better expression, and you can actually see it there. Almost like it's watered down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.