The Beer Thread

Ok, I know literally nothing about Belgian / trappist beers, but I'm keen to give a few a go from that website.

What would you guys suggest I order, as a total newbie to the style?

I don't even know if you drink them room temperature or chilled.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Ok, I know literally nothing about Belgian / trappist beers, but I'm keen to give a few a go from that website.

If you mean the beautiful beers site, you cant really go wrong with anything on the trappist page.If you've not had them before the rochefort and westmalle 33cl (unless youre sharing and want a bigger bottle)  are great intros/value. Ridiculous ammount of good stuff in the 'other' belgian page, and the st bernadeus on the abbey page is good too.

I'm sure if you dropped them a mail saying how much you wanted to spend and what general sort of stuff you'd like they'd put together a good box for you - they did that for me to give as birthday gifts in the past.

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

I'd probably try a few supermarket ones before splashing out on the expensive ones.

Westmalle Dubbel, Tripel Karmeliet, Duvel, Duvel Tripel Hop are some that are readily available for not too much money. Waitrose even stocks Boon if you want to down the lambic rabbit hole.

Definitely have them chilled, but perhaps bring any of the darker ones out of the fridge half an hour or so before you drink them.

Definitely pick up a nice Belgian beer glass for them as well!

Anyone else been enjoying the Brewdog Collabfest? I ordered a couple of boxes and have been sampling a fair amount this week. The Tiny Rebel/Brewdog Swansea effort is one of the best imperial stouts I've ever tried. It's been like beer Christmas with all the variety and surprises. I actually prefer it "at home" than going to the bars for it. 

On 20/11/2020 at 11:42, minstrels said:

Duvel Tripel Hop

The Citra one? It’s superb.

If you like NZ hops get Overtone’s Chur Cuz, it’s full bodied, fruity and delicious. I’ve also had The Kernel Brewery’s Biere de Saison Damson and it’s nice if you enjoy sour, complex beers.

I spent about £50 in Grunting Growler and have a bunch of other mixed fermentation/ sour/ saisons to drink before Christmas. If you’re in Glasgow, or near, I really recommend dropping by, very nice people who know a lot about beer.

1 minute ago, Spacehost said:

Wait what

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/collabfest/leaderboard

This will give you a wee bit more detail. I think I've got through about 20 of these over 3 days. Some were poor but some were really good. I pre ordered a pale case (25 pounds delivered for 12 500ml crowlers) and one mystery case (30 quid for 12). The variety and value was pretty amazing and I got to sample more than I would have if I had visited the bars (which I did the past two years). 

6 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

The Citra one? It’s superb.

If you like NZ hops get Overtone’s Chur Cuz, it’s full bodied, fruity and delicious. I’ve also had The Kernel Brewery’s Biere de Saison Damson and it’s nice if you enjoy sour, complex beers.

I spent about £50 in Grunting Growler and have a bunch of other mixed fermentation/ sour/ saisons to drink before Christmas. If you’re in Glasgow, or near, I really recommend dropping by, very nice people who know a lot about beer.

Had one tonight. :D

PXL_20201121_230329814.thumb.jpg.73d9a44f107d8550a6c4ed723cd0f795.jpg

9 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/collabfest/leaderboard

This will give you a wee bit more detail. I think I've got through about 20 of these over 3 days. Some were poor but some were really good. I pre ordered a pale case (25 pounds delivered for 12 500ml crowlers) and one mystery case (30 quid for 12). The variety and value was pretty amazing and I got to sample more than I would have if I had visited the bars (which I did the past two years). 

Think that’ll be next month’s beer box.

3 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Think that’ll be next month’s beer box.

It was a time sensative thing unfortunatly. I had to pre order by some point last week and that was it. It was pretty much that they had to sell the beers or lose them due to the restrictions. That is unless some pubs have leftovers and they decide to try and sell them off (crosses fingers). 

13 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Anyone else been enjoying the Brewdog Collabfest? I ordered a couple of boxes and have been sampling a fair amount this week. The Tiny Rebel/Brewdog Swansea effort is one of the best imperial stouts I've ever tried. It's been like beer Christmas with all the variety and surprises. I actually prefer it "at home" than going to the bars for it. 

Got that one left. Did you get the fierce one in your box, that’s probably my favourite so far

5 hours ago, lordscotland said:

Got that one left. Did you get the fierce one in your box, that’s probably my favourite so far

Yeah I did. I liked it but wasn't what I expected. I thought it would taste like a Cadbury's Chomp, but what I got was a boozy bourbon beast. Bourbon isn't my favorite flavour so was a little dissapointed. 

3 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Yeah I did. I liked it but wasn't what I expected. I thought it would taste like a Cadbury's Chomp, but what I got was a boozy bourbon beast. Bourbon isn't my favorite flavour so was a little dissapointed. 

Ah, I enjoy a bourbon one as long as it’s not overpowering. Of the 12(!) I got, for me, the fierce and tiny rebel were the best of the bunch then maybe the hammerton. Some were not great, but was pleased to try them particularly at that price!

On 22/11/2020 at 00:15, Skull Commander said:

I had some "crowlers" delivered from the local brewdog.

Sour Thymes and Frog gone Rouge were both great.

I do like Thornbridge. They have some of the best "core range" beers along with Siren I think. 

Too hard to rank craft breweries generally as it's all down to what random crazy fun they haven, but when you just want to stock up on a good few cans. Green Mountain is nice enough normally! 

Incidentally, Thornbridge's low alcohol beer, zero five, is probably one of the nicest non alcoholic /. 05% beers we've tried.

We've been through quite a lot lately because we've been on diets, low alcohol beers are good for midweek too. A lot though are still a bit calorific... Usually the nicer they are the more calories due to sugary flavour. But it's something like 20cals for a bottle but it's still really tasty. 

As above. Thornbridge zero five is one of the best. We've been trying a load of them. 

Leffe is actually nice but probably because they just add syrup or something to get that Belgian taste so it's a little sweet but there's more body to it than non alcoholic beers normally have. 

Try Nirvana brewery if you haven't, they only do low alcohol beers and the couple I've tried have been tasty. 

I find the Brewdog ones to just be bitterness rather than flavour. 

Free dam and the erdinger non alcoholic are quite drinkable too. 

Would like to hear any more recommendations though. As I said above the fact that it's a non calorific option means I've been enjoying them midweek. I don't like the way people turn their noses up at non alcoholic beer but would happily drink something like coke or Fanta. It's just a soft drink! 

On 23/11/2020 at 21:17, OneDvBmbr said:

Got to get my hands on this stuff...

I've never tried much Thornbridge stuff - to be honest, they need to sort their marketing out. I'm going to order a case for the weekend to properly give them a try but the reason I've not tried them before is that I do tend to judge a beer by its cover, and their branding makes them look like supermarket own-brand beers.

The font on their website is awful too - it's so thin it's hard to read.

Looking at their stuff they just don't really fit in with the existing craft beer scene, which typically goes either minimalist and hipster or quirky and 'out-there', or puts artwork on the cans.

Their cans and branding just looks like a PubCo ale aimed at old men.

Sorry, appreciate this is all subjective but they could really do with a rebrand.

No you are 100% right on the branding. It feels like they are old man real ale CAMRA type stuff. Perhaps they are - I feel like I had Thornbridge cask before I had keg and very good it was too. 

But they still make a good core range of craft beers. I actually think they're not so good on those seasonal short run wacky cans that you get from Siren, Cloudwater etc. They're just not exciting in a wanky bottle shop. 

They're just really good VFM on stocking up on a bunch of session beers. They're miles better than Punk IPA, or Gamma Ray, Neck Oil, Camden Pale ale etc is all. Usually with the same price.

I think this is largely true. And to an extent they are a supermarket beer as you regularly see them in all the major shops (at least in and around Sheffield).

They’re definitely not on the cutting edge with the most exciting beers. However, I know that if I get a mixed case from them every beer is solid at worst and their pricing for their online shop is very attractive value. 

I wouldn’t want to drink Thornbridge all the time but I enjoy all of their staples. Jaipur remains a very good IPA even if times have moved on since it launched. Green Mountain is a decent session NEIPA. Florida Weisse is very drinkable raspberry sour and to be honest I enjoyed Lukas more than ever for the first time this past summer as a great easy-drinking BBQ lager. 

I’m probably a bit biased in their favour as it’s close to me geographically and my old local in Sheffield is a Thornbridge-run pub and so I’ve had a lot of their beers down the years, second only to another Sheffield brewery Neepsend. 

On 20/11/2020 at 08:25, Isaac said:

Treat yourself to a bottle of Cantillon to drink now and one to sit on for years and years or maybe something jazzy from 3 Fonteinen...

Both consistently make lambics of a rare quality.

9 hours ago, Isaac said:

I've never tried much Thornbridge stuff - to be honest, they need to sort their marketing out. I'm going to order a case for the weekend to properly give them a try but the reason I've not tried them before is that I do tend to judge a beer by its cover, and their branding makes them look like supermarket own-brand beers.

The font on their website is awful too - it's so thin it's hard to read.

Looking at their stuff they just don't really fit in with the existing craft beer scene, which typically goes either minimalist and hipster or quirky and 'out-there', or puts artwork on the cans.

Their cans and branding just looks like a PubCo ale aimed at old men.

Sorry, appreciate this is all subjective but they could really do with a rebrand.

I think they pre-date the craft beer scene and that's probably why they come across that way but their beers, even the super market ones, are solid.

On the N/A Beers, Small Beer Co & Big Drop seem good, Brooklyn's Special Effect is nice, Erdinger is good and I've always enjoyed Bavaria.

It doesn't seem easy to get them here but there are a bunch of really good low alcohol mikkeller beers

Drinkin in the sun is 0.3% and it's a lovely session style pale ale
https://drydrinker.com/product/mikkeller-drinkin-sun/

They have a 0.3% version of their oatmeal coffee stout too which I'd love to try.