The Beer Thread

Ever drank beer in a kiosk in Germany? They have tables at the shop entrance, for you to drink your beers in, kind of like an off license with tables and stools to drink on. Similar to those offy/bar places in the UK but a lot more common. Would love to sip this then wander the streets of Koeln or somewhere. 

I’ve tried Beer52 and Flavourly and would recommend the former.

Once you’ve subscribed (even if you cancel) you can receive their offer emails. Usually short dated or last bottles but they can work out quite cheap (though Flavourly’s offers/emails are near constant and not such good quality IMO, often including their collaborations which haven’t been great). 

21 hours ago, Oaf said:

I feel like joining one of these beer clubs, or availing myself of some online retailer. Any recommendations?

Depending on how much beer you want to drink at any one time, I'd actually suggest it worth doing a few manual orders direct from different breweries. In the last few pages there's some excellent recommendations. 

The reason I say this is getting 1 or 2 of each beer that a brewery does (or at least a selection) will get you some amazing things and often they do cheap shipping, or free over a certain out. It's a bit more manual, but after a while I realised that just being surprised with a random box of beers isn't necessarily more fun than the process of reading through enticing descriptions, putting an order together and looking forward to trying it. 

Secondly I often got a bit frustrated when you got a random beer club beer and wished you had more of something, especially if you're sharing with a partner. 

No slight on the clubs, they're probably great. Not sure about Beer52 though... they ended up really pissing me off for a few reasons

Flavourly are terrible too, their stuff is beer that is typically close to expiry, and so tastes watered down and flat (as the hops have faded).

If you do have your heart set on a sub box of surprise beers, my local independent beer shop do a fantastic one, but it is on the pricier end:

https://www.hopburnsblack.co.uk/collections/all-killer-no-filler-beer-subscription-box

£50 a month for 12 beers delivered, but they don't skimp at all - it's mainly 440ml cans of great beers that are all fantastic quality from brilliant breweries. None of the beers you'd find in a Tesco that typically pad out your usual monthly sub box.

This was their Feb box, for example:

How can customer service be awful from a beer club? The only interaction is signing up or cancelling the membership. Were the beers crap quality?

Why join a beer club? Get your sen down a local beer person then ask away. You can then get what you want like the aforementioned Schneider Weisse Avenitus. 

20200927-193013.jpg

I keep coming back to this stuff at the moment. I don't like the Marzen quite so much, a little too smoky if I'm not in the mood, but this Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen is absolutely amazing at this time of year. You've got the tangy yet creamy wheat beer body to it, but with a sweet smokiness of slightly charred crispy bacon and bitter chocolate. How does this fucking thing even exist? One hundred percent recommended. 

17 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Where do people get their beers from online? Just been on Beer Merchants, chose some beers and when I went to pay the website deleted my basket. Real issues with loading pages too. Is it normally a bit unwieldy? 

My only experience with their site was earlier today when Craft Beer Channel had a box on there. It was definitely slow and a bit unwieldy so I think they just have a crappy site (or a lot of traffic today, to give them the benefit of the doubt).

HopBurnsBlack (recommended up the page) is one of the best places to order a mixed case. Cracking selection of beer and it's run by a really nice bunch of people.

I can thoroughly recommend all three of these chaps; complex, delicious flavours:

image.thumb.png.d496b5a4def94e9e19d56ff167e708f4.png

Notes from Kipps Alehouse in Folkestone:

St. Bernadus Abt 12- 10% 33cl

One of the best beers in the world. With raisin, date, plum and caramel this quad is complex but sippable

St. Bernadus Grottenbier-6.5% 33cl

An Abbey-tripel bottle conditioned in the same way as Champagne for a clean, richly fruity dark amber beer.

St. Bernadus Patersbier 6-6.7% 33cl

A fruity, full-bodied blonde ale with banana bread and spice notes.

St. Bernadus Tripel-8% 33cl

An elegant Abbey-style tripel with lots of soft fruit and bready notes as well as a crisp hop finish.

One or two of these will settle you into a nicely satisfied snooze around 8pm.

'St Bernardus Christmas Ale' is a very comforting combination of words. Sounds fantastic. I picked up a couple of 12s yesterday and it's pouring down so I fancy I'll sip one of them this evening, get the headphones on and crank the fire. 

• 2 weeks later...

20201024-183438.jpg

This is a lovely earthy and tangy wheat beer, almost got some chocolate orange to it. More milk chocolate than cocoa, but with a lovely dry fruity bite to it. There's nothing particularly complex about it but I wish I had more than a couple of bottles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Stocked up the other day. Had my first Arbor the other weekend and enjoyed them and they had a decent deal on direct from the brewery.

The 12 pack usually comes with a stout but I'm not a fan of stouts, porters etc so mailed them and they very kindly swapped it out for another NEIPA.

Looking forward to trying some of these over the next few weeks.

IMG_20201030_154232.jpg