The Beer Thread

8 hours ago, Kzo said:

Picked up a few Faith and New World in Tesco the other week. Really loved them both, especially Faith. Will definitely be ordering more of their stuff!

They can be pricey, but their specials, one offs and collaborations have on the whole been excellent.

I really got into them (as a brewery) during lock down and reckon I spent everything I saved on train fares from WFH on buying beer online from them, I recently signed up to one of their subscription boxes (after being on the waiting list for a bit).

Been sampling some of Bristol's output.

Left Handed Giant are putting out some absolute crackers. Haven't tried a bad one from them yet, but specific beers worth highlighting are:

Age Of Madness

image.thumb.png.1ea04827e19fa217383f33317b734486.png

Fruited Sour Mango IPA.

Tastes like a mango smoothie, with added sourness at the finish. So, so delicious, although extremely sweet - it's not something I could have more than one of. But it's genuinely like drinking a Solero - almost exactly the same taste.

Lay It Down

Screenshot2020-07-27at16.54.41_1024x1024

Really good tropical hazy IPA. Strong pineapple and passionfruit flavours, really good smooth finish. Just a cracking example of the style really.

Dream House

canlabelSINGLE_1_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1589

Pale ale - but a stunning mix of hops in it. It's a mix of Citra, Mosaic, Vic Secret and Galaxy. It's somehow pine-y, fruity, creamy and floral all at the same time, all at under 6%. A top class pale ale.

Lost and Grounded are another Bristol-based brewery doing some good things, but I wanted to highlight this one in particular:

388b9005-600x600.jpg.webp

Teevee Party is a wheat Gose beer they do and it might be because it was the first beer I had today in 32-degree heat but I genuinely think it's one of the best Gose beers I've had in years. 5/5 for me - well worth seeking out. 

When the world goes back to normal, LHG's tap room in bristol is worth a visit. I was deathly hungover when I was there so barely managed a half and a few slices of pizza but it's a lovely place to spend a warm summer evening.

Left-Handed-Giant-brewpub-Finzels-Reach-

21 hours ago, Gaz said:

When the world goes back to normal, LHG's tap room in bristol is worth a visit. I was deathly hungover when I was there so barely managed a half and a few slices of pizza but it's a lovely place to spend a warm summer evening.

Left-Handed-Giant-brewpub-Finzels-Reach-

Looks amazing, ordered some of their tropical IPAs.

Anyone been to Wylam’s brewery in Newcastle? It’s ridiculous in a slightly different way - they took over the site of an old war museum, a beautiful building.

image.thumb.jpeg.23d1cac9a363898b55d9b276940e1311.jpeg

On 25/07/2020 at 18:01, Monkeyspill said:

Recommend me some good craft beers! I haven’t been buying fancy craft beers for a while now - just supermarket stuff (overpriced Beavertown from Sainsbury’s and Magic Rock from Morrisons being the most extravagant). I generally enjoy hoppy IPAs but I’m not very fussy as long as it’s good beer.

A few years ago I was buying a lot of Kernel, Brew by Numbers, and Weird Beard. But the amount of different beers available now just leave me bewildered.

Deya. 

They ship to anywhere in thr UK. You'll need to sign up to their mailing list or instagram to get alerts of when new beers go on sale, they can sell fast. 

Not cheap, but worth it if you like hazy, NEIPA beers. 

On 25/07/2020 at 18:01, Monkeyspill said:

Recommend me some good craft beers! I haven’t been buying fancy craft beers for a while now - just supermarket stuff (overpriced Beavertown from Sainsbury’s and Magic Rock from Morrisons being the most extravagant). I generally enjoy hoppy IPAs but I’m not very fussy as long as it’s good beer.

A few years ago I was buying a lot of Kernel, Brew by Numbers, and Weird Beard. But the amount of different beers available now just leave me bewildered.

Deya. 

They ship to anywhere in thr UK. You'll need to sign up to their mailing list or instagram to get alerts of when new beers go on sale, they can sell fast. 

Not cheap, but worth it if you like hazy, NEIPA beers. 

I'm a big fan of the Wild Beer brewery:

https://www.wildbeerco.com/

I like weird shit so this is right up my alley. They have a lot of beer in the usual styles, but usually with some kind of twist - their lager has lime and salt, and tastes like a mixture of a lager and a sour, for instance. The really weird shit is where it gets good though - Breakfast of Champignons (sadly no longer brewed) contained mushrooms, Dr. Todd is matured in whisky barrels and has a sour, earthy taste to it, Yokai almost tastes savoury... they've not done anything I've turned my nose up at, though they haven't made an IPA I can get enthusiastic about so it's not all miracles :)

Splashed out on a bottle of Yadokai for my birthday earlier in the year and it was absolutely magnificent. https://www.wildbeerco.com/item/313/Beers/Yadokai.html

The only complaint is that if you want a "normal" beer you might struggle. The canned IPA and stout are relatively conservative but everything else is veering off into weird territory.

--

Unrelated - has anyone tried The Small Beer company's output?     

I bought a box of Wild Beer products about a month ago. The Tepache in particular is great; it a spiced pineapple beer and isn't too sweet or cloying. Then their regular beers are all eminently quaffable, Pogo, Sleeping Limes, Millionaire etc. I pretty much like most of their beers. I wouldn't say they do the very best beers out there but they're very consistent. 

There's a decent Liquor Store in Brighton, that I always go to when I'm down here and I always pick up a load of interesting beers from there. They're great on non-alcoholic beers too. I haven't dug into them all yet, but had a lovely blood orange IPA yesterday. I'll dig it out of the recyling later as I want to order some for home.

On 10/08/2020 at 18:34, RadgyAdgy said:

Yep, before lock down I'd regularly go to Bristol for work and LHG was a frequent haunt. You'd be going some to find a more impressive brew pub space.

Wylam say hello!

EDIT: should have scrolled down before replying. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Gaz thanks again for recommending Wander Beyond to me, I've been ordering some of their more off-the-wall beers every few weeks and really enjoying them. Any other more off-the-wall breweries you can recommend would be very much appreciated!

Wander Beyond beers are grim. We've given them plenty of chances  - visiting their tap room on several of it's irregular openings but they now stand proud as the brewery who I have had to pour away the most beer by. It doesn't help that they are a short stone throw from the Cloudwater and Track taprooms so rarely find the justification to walk the extra few hundred metres to visit them when they are (or were) open,

Chasing sweeteness and strength does not necessarily make for an interesting beer but if you do fancy something off the wall that, for me, is of a higher quality, then Omnipollo occasionally make some decent pastry style stouts.  Their variuss AON stouts are mostly great. If you want a 'candy' Hudson Valley type sour then Track's Uzon is exceptional.

On 27/08/2020 at 15:36, Isaac said:

@Gaz thanks again for recommending Wander Beyond to me, I've been ordering some of their more off-the-wall beers every few weeks and really enjoying them. Any other more off-the-wall breweries you can recommend would be very much appreciated!

Have you tried Fierce? https://www.fiercebeer.com/ 15 percent discount as well if you use "Fierceathome" at the checkout. I've tried lots of their stuff and their stouts and fruit beers are amazing. 

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/retro-bundle-48

That's a cracking deal. 48 beers for £45.95  delivered. Quidco/topcashback available as well and if you haven't ordered before use "WELCOME10" for an extra 10 percent off. 

Yeah it's got the underwhelming indie (short coded) and lost lager, but you get proper Hazy Jane and Zombie Cake as well and 5am which I love. Great value! 

I'm trying to get out of my "hops, all of them, in a cold glass please" rut by actively going for styles I don't normally buy. So it's Saison and Sours Weekend.

Saison Dupont: the archetypal Saison, all rich foamy head and peppery goodness. Very very nice. I'll drink 50 please.

Burning Sky Saison Houblon: like the above, but gentler, easier to drink, and a little hopper. Another 50 of these.

Lindeman's Peche: I didn't realise lambics are sold massively sweetened with fruit puree and at about 2%, but this was nice. Not £4 a bottle nice though, get fucked.

Magic Rock Salty Kiss: I thought I didn't like goses, but this is very refreshing. I'll have to have some more.

Fyne Ales Origins Beams: My first Brett Saison. It's funky. I don't know if I like it yet. It's not very fizzy. Has it gone off? I think it might have gone off. I'll drink more of it to check. I think it's good. Do I? Hmm.

Thanks for the recommendations all, I'll have to check them out. Have to respectfully disagree with you @Mike S, but each to their own!

I tried this yesterday:

image_2a75a939-cd66-4a5a-a762-9d384d1a993f_1080x.thumb.jpg.4f157da72225f04c35b8db54b2e71f07.jpg

It was the closest a beer has ever come to tasting like a can of Lilt to me. In a good way.

17 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/retro-bundle-48

That's a cracking deal. 48 beers for £45.95  delivered. Quidco/topcashback available as well and if you haven't ordered before use "WELCOME10" for an extra 10 percent off. 

Yeah it's got the underwhelming indie (short coded) and lost lager, but you get proper Hazy Jane and Zombie Cake as well and 5am which I love. Great value! 

If you set up a new account, you can use code “VCUK15”, which gives you 15% off. So you get it for 39 quid! 

On 07/08/2020 at 20:05, Isaac said:

Been sampling some of Bristol's output.

Left Handed Giant are putting out some absolute crackers. Haven't tried a bad one from them yet, but specific beers worth highlighting are:

Age Of Madness

image.thumb.png.1ea04827e19fa217383f33317b734486.png

Fruited Sour Mango IPA.

Tastes like a mango smoothie, with added sourness at the finish. So, so delicious, although extremely sweet - it's not something I could have more than one of. But it's genuinely like drinking a Solero - almost exactly the same taste.

I had one of these last night and I'm not sure I could have described it any better than you did. Was absolutely lovely. 

On 11/08/2020 at 10:56, BedroomBusinessman said:

Looks amazing, ordered some of their tropical IPAs.

Anyone been to Wylam’s brewery in Newcastle? It’s ridiculous in a slightly different way - they took over the site of an old war museum, a beautiful building.

image.thumb.jpeg.23d1cac9a363898b55d9b276940e1311.jpeg

Yeah - we love Wylam. We're itching to leave London and move to Newcastle (The pandemic slowed this plan down somewhat) so I can see us visiting them a lot whenever that happens and we can call it home. It's one of the many reasons that helped us realise that we love the Toon and wouldn't feel like we lost much in London. It's as nice (nicer) than the breweries you can drink at around here.

It's really nice inside, good selection of their beers and others, and do a really good roast. Gets pretty busy with bookings though. But having only ever been on a Sunday, it's very gastropub inside. But it's comfy inside. I think when we were visiting we saw they were about to put some Motown night on, so I'm eager to visit when it's a bit more of a Friday / Saturday night vibe. I mean....whenever that vibe is normal and not distanced. 

Segue from that, 

We recently ordered a few beers from their web shop. Haven't drunk them yet, I'm on a miserable Keto diet and off the beer until next week. But we got a couple of these glasses, (and the black print ones) which I love and cannot wait to try out. This style seems to be the new 'thing':

https://www.wylambrewery.co.uk/beer-store/Remember-430-White-Print-Ltd-Edition-15oz-Allegra-Glass-p228411955

Kinda like Teku glasses without the stem i guess.

5 hours ago, cowfields said:

We recently ordered a few beers from their web shop. Haven't drunk them yet, I'm on a miserable Keto diet and off the beer until next week. But we got a couple of these glasses, (and the black print ones) which I love and cannot wait to try out. This style seems to be the new 'thing':

https://www.wylambrewery.co.uk/beer-store/Remember-430-White-Print-Ltd-Edition-15oz-Allegra-Glass-p228411955

Kinda like Teku glasses without the stem i guess.

Coincidentally I am drinking out of the black patterned one right now (Cloudwaters marvellous core DIPA, detail fans)!

They released an Overlook Hotel carpet pattern glass a month or two ago too.

As you probably know both relate to previous beers; Remembering 430, and Room 237. I know the head brewer up there through various other mutual interests (along with a beer interest of course) and he is quite the horror and cult cinema fan hence the film/TV homages that you'll see in the beer names and design.

Top people making top beer in a top location.

BTW, the glass shape/style is named harmony and is indeed very popular. Can't beat a teku for some real classy sipping though..

Quick heads-up that Verdant have Lightbulb available at the moment :omg:

They also have 3 different mixed 6 packs too as well as a few other single beer packs which is the biggest selection I've seen available from them for a while.

Got mine ordered even though I still have far too many other beers still to drink :P

• 3 weeks later...

beer_8565

I picked up a few of these Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen smoked wheat beers and I am really enjoying them. I've had the Marzen before and found the smoke excessive and made me feel quite nauseous, to be honest, but the balance of the unsmoked wheat malts in the mix really makes this something pretty special. You have the clove, fruitcake and banana of a classic wheat beer, but also the unique woody, bitter chocolately, crispy bacon smokiness of the rauchbier. That sounds fucking foul, and it's definitely not for everyone, but it's worth a try because if it clicks for you, there's nothing quite like it. 

Cloudwater are doing a tasting session with some imports from Other Half in Brooklyn.

£55 for 7 beers, 5 OH and 2 CW ones...

https://shop.cloudwaterbrew.co/products/other-half-event-pack?omnisendAttributionID=email_campaign_5f6c4d4099f0b742afac6dfa&omnisendContactID=5eb95d7f4572ea4f09ee9071&utm_campaign=campaign%3A+New+releases+September+24th+(5f6c4d4099f0b742afac6dfa)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend

I've seen OH beers going for crazy money at some bottle shops so that's a decent deal.

Was going to be visiting the OH taproom in a few weeks but that's all been shitcanned, fuck you Corona.