rllmuk
Professor Rob

The Beer Thread

17 hours ago, dizogg said:

I don’t know anything about beer (but drink a lot). Sometimes pick up fancy craft beers and IPAs now and then, just got 8 beers from beer 52.

My question is: how does one know at what temperature to store their beer at? Presumably depends what type... but with so many variations and flavours how do you know what would benefit from being chilled or room temp etc? Is there an idiots guide somewhere?

Always store beer in the fridge, regardless of what temperature you want to drink it at.

I tend to drink darker beers slightly warmer so I bring those out of the fridge an hour or so before I drink them but that's a purely personal thing.

17 hours ago, OnionNon said:

I think traditionally real ales (flat beers) are served room temperature or slightly below and craft beers (carbonated) are served cold.

Best to just have them however you prefer though.

You couldn't be any more wrong here. Cask is served at room temperature?! No wonder you think it's flat. :lol:

Slightly off admittedly, but I meant one type is served cool and the other cold; real ale is normally recommended 10-15 degrees I think, whereas craft beer would be fridge cold (~5 degrees).

Birmingham based beer fans!

There's a new craft ale place that has opened on Bennetts Hill - literally next door to the Wellington - and it's awesome.  It's called the Pint Shop - 30 taps of beer, 27 of which were on last night with an excellent varied selection.

SKF1CXgUFXiQtFsLuDkGtrKDnhUFEH5QV1pH-04Z

It's good!

• Upvote 1

On 28/08/2018 at 22:31, meatbin said:

I really wish the 'craft' term could be dropped, and we just judge beers on being beers.  Again, a long conversation.... Real Ale, Premium Lager, Fine Wine, Artisan Gin, it's all the same marketing message, usually covering up a shed load of average product.

I've talked about this a few times but it does annoy me that people have had to be tricked into drinking ale by calling it craft beer and importing it from the states.

On 15/10/2018 at 11:48, minstrels said:

Always store beer in the fridge, regardless of what temperature you want to drink it at.

I tend to drink darker beers slightly warmer so I bring those out of the fridge an hour or so before I drink them but that's a purely personal thing.

This is what I do too. It varies from beer to beer but you often lose a lot of the flavour if it's too cold. 

I’ve just moved from Bristol to Liverpool and I’m looking for recommendations for bars, breweries/taprooms. I know that there are a couple of breweries around the Baltic Triangle but there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent of King Street in Liverpool. The bars all seem to be spread out across town. At the moment I’m based in the georgian quarter and will be moving towards the docks/ pier head in a few weeks, so anything local to these areas would be a bonus. Thanks. 

How was it?

I went through a phase of trying various different alcohol-free offerings a while ago - Nanny State, etc. - but failed to find anything that wasn't just a disappointing imitation of the original. In each case, they tasted like exactly what they were: a similar but sanitised version. None of them were terrible beers as such, but I'd find it hard not to buy the superior sibling instead. It was mainly the sourness or bite of the alcohol that was missing, I think. Seeing as they're not even as much cheaper as it seems they should be without the punitive tax, I figured I'd rather just drink a bit less, but drink well when I did.

There are lots I didn't try though - it was just a handful that Sainsbury's happened to stock - so perhaps there are some out there that I'd enjoy more.

• Upvote 1

I'd be interested to know what the Ghost Ship 0% is like too. I quite enjoy Nanny State but I find I can't drink that much of it so it would be nice to find an alternative.

In other news, birthday beers (All bought for me from Beermoth in Manchester) - 

beer3.png

• Upvote 1

On 04/11/2018 at 00:14, hmm said:

How was it?

Surprisingly good, back to back you can taste a slight lack of what I, having no vocabulary for the situation at all would describe as "Depth" in the non-alc one but it's really a lot closer than I expected.  

Kinda a similar experience to coke vs coke zero actually (not diet coke, that's a totally different thing) in that after a while I'm not sure you'd really notice if it were all you drank.

On 04/11/2018 at 00:14, hmm said:

How was it?

I went through a phase of trying various different alcohol-free offerings a while ago - Nanny State, etc. - but failed to find anything that wasn't just a disappointing imitation of the original. In each case, they tasted like exactly what they were: a similar but sanitised version. None of them were terrible beers as such, but I'd find it hard not to buy the superior sibling instead. It was mainly the sourness or bite of the alcohol that was missing, I think. Seeing as they're not even as much cheaper as it seems they should be without the punitive tax, I figured I'd rather just drink a bit less, but drink well when I did.

There are lots I didn't try though - it was just a handful that Sainsbury's happened to stock - so perhaps there are some out there that I'd enjoy more.

You're not wrong in general concept certainly but I do enjoy that non-alc beers are starting to make more of an appearance.  These days if I'm in the pub or at a party I generally have to drive home and it's nice to have something that isn't my body weight in Coke, especially as pubs are rapidly stopping stocking sugar coke.  Even in similar but sanitized it's better than four tonnes of sugar/aspartame or fucking J20 when you've got a burger in your other hand.

We did try and work out how much you'd have to drink to get over the drink drive limit too.  The conclusion was if you can do it in an hour, you could do it with 24 bottles of Ghost Ship.  Of course you process around a unit an hour so you'd need about another 3-4 bottles at least just to keep up...

12 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Hey @deKay I noticed you log all the beers you drink on Untappd but why don't you ever give them a  rating?

I... don't know.

Verdant were up in Aberdeen last night for a tap takeover at the Brewdog, I was too ill to go :(

They have done a collab with both Brewdog and Fierce though that should be out in a few weeks, hopefully something good.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Managed to get a couple of cans of Verdants Putty and a tin of Marylou today. Will save them for when i'm feeling better and enjoy. Word of mouth is that Putty is incredible so something to look forward to.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, memories said:

Managed to get a couple of cans of Verdants Putty and a tin of Marylou today. Will save them for when i'm feeling better and enjoy. Word of mouth is that Putty is incredible so something to look forward to.

This year's Putty is at least as good as the last two years and, for me, is Verdant's best by a country mile. 

I went to a TTO by them in Manchester last year and, after the first couple of beers, found it a little underwhelming. We tried 12 or 13 beers between us and all were IPA's, DIPA's and Pales. Their house signature taste is great. and pretty much perfected in Putty. but so many in one session was too much. It'd be nice to see them try a few more dark beers as the few they have made have been excellent..

Would anyone recommend any of the craft beer subscription clubs / services? My wife has asked me for some birthday ideas, and I'm scratching around trying to think of some!

I've had subs with flavourly, beer52 and beerhawk in the past and would recommend them in that order. Used to be able to get good discounts by cancelling flavourly and beer52 but they don't seem to do that anymore

• Upvote 1

I forgot about BeerBods, used to subscribe to them too.  Their concept is a bit different though so rather than a monthly box you get a box of 12 every 3 months with the idea that everyone drinks the same beer each Thursday

... I shall take that as a no!! Aberdeen is buzzing already. Even if your not going, and in the Aberdeen area it's totally worth going into the city centre and checking out the craft beer places this weekend. Lots of nationalities, and folk on the hunt for tasty beers. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, memories said:

Stonehaven beer festival this weekend, anyone going?

I'm going to be half cut before the doors even open:lol:

I was tempted but had a pretty boozy weekend past and then have the Brewdog Beatnik Brewery event next Saturday so I have decided to give my liver a weekend off!

• Upvote 1