IGNORED

The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

I'm lucky to work near two places that sell good Belgian beers. Real Ale in Richmond and an off licence in Hampton called Noble Green. Outside of that, Beers of Europe are excellent if you want to order online. My brother recently used belgianbeerfactory.com and was happy with the results, though I haven't had a look myself yet. And occasionally I venture to Belgium and bring beers back with me :)

I enjoyed Big Wave golden Ale when I was in the US last year and I'm pleased to see it cropping up in London a bit. Had previously found it being sold in bottles in some pubs and off licences but yesterday saw it on draught in a local pub which pleases me no end. As pricey as you'd expect (£5.60 per pint) and not quite as nice tasting without the sunshine, it is still a really nice drink though.

http://konabrewingco.com/blog/beers/big-wave-golden-ale/

post-1011-0-29884000-1452529685_thumb.jp

I'm lucky to work near two places that sell good Belgian beers. Real Ale in Richmond and an off licence in Hampton called Noble Green. Outside of that, Beers of Europe are excellent if you want to order online. My brother recently used belgianbeerfactory.com and was happy with the results, though I haven't had a look myself yet. And occasionally I venture to Belgium and bring beers back with me :)

I've just taken a look at Belgian Beer Factory but I have no idea what I'm doing. Could you suggest anything that's very sour?

I've been drinking Wild Beer Co's Sourdough and Siren's Calypso recently.

Yeah I tend to stick to geuzes for my fix of sour. Old style geuze (as opposed to the more accessible types) really hits the spot for me.

Looking at their geuzes, I personally like Boon Old Geuze, Moriau Old Geuze and Oud Beersel Old Geuze,

EDIT: while you're there, you'd be insane not to throw in a few bottles of St Bernardus Abt. It's almost indistinguishable from Westvleteren 12 - supposedly the best beer in the world - at a fraction of the cost.

I enjoyed Big Wave golden Ale when I was in the US last year and I'm pleased to see it cropping up in London a bit. Had previously found it being sold in bottles in some pubs and off licences but yesterday saw it on draught in a local pub which pleases me no end. As pricey as you'd expect (£5.60 per pint) and not quite as nice tasting without the sunshine, it is still a really nice drink though.

http://konabrewingco.com/blog/beers/big-wave-golden-ale/

They sell it in M&S. £1.90 a bottle. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/01/2016 at 1:18 PM, Camel said:

EDIT: while you're there, you'd be insane not to throw in a few bottles of St Bernardus Abt.  It's almost indistinguishable from Westvleteren 12 - supposedly the best beer in the world - at a fraction of the cost. 

I've recently received an order from Beer Hawk, and did exactly this. A bit of research suggests that the brewery that puts out St Bernardus Abt used to brew Westvleteren under license from the monastery, before they took it all back in-house and stopped "mass"-producing it.

St Bernardus Abt is really, really delicious and I'm sad to only have bought two.

Also on the list was a bottle of Kasteel Donker, which I may or may not have only purchased because it has "donk" in the name. Also a superb dark abbey ale, but very sweet - certainly wouldn't have been back to the fridge for another after finishing the first, even if it was really good.

Other highlights that I've not got round to trying yet are a couple of the Chimay range, Leffe Radieuse, and a bottle of Ola Dubh; beer matured in Highland Park whisky casks. Barking, can't wait to see what it's like.

[edit] By the way, I really recommend Beer Hawk from a service perspective. I got 10% off for signing up to their newsletter; alternatively, new users can get a fiver off by PMing me their email address for a code. This will also get me a fiver in credit to use there, so please think of your friendly neighbourhood abbey ale bore when ordering. :)

On 11/02/2016 at 10:28 PM, strawdonkey said:

a bottle of Ola Dubh; beer matured in Highland Park whisky casks. Barking, can't wait to see what it's like.

I've had oat stout before and quite enjoyed it, but there's something about this that I'm really struggling with. Not sure if it's the fact it smells of a mixture of that awful champagne Marmite that was available a few years ago and a barn, or if it's the burnt oat taste mixed with the feeling of licking a barrel.

Definitely an acquired taste. Not one I have yet acquired, and it is unlikely I'll put much effort into its acquisition...

[edit] Nearly done. It's actively challenging to drink, I feel like someone should be giving me a refund if I finish it in a set timeframe. It's an absolutely fascinating beer, but almost impossible to recommend unconditionally.

See, that Innis and Gunn is really quite nice. I bought the one with the red label, "Original" - it's a smooth ale with a gentle undertone of a once-used cask.

My bottle of Ola Dubh looked like used engine oil and tasted like it was first aged in the cask, then the cask itself had been liquidised and mixed in.

• 4 weeks later...

My local Tesco have started stocking more of the Innis and Gunn range, so have been indulging.

Rum finish just tastes like beer with rum. Great if you like rum I guess. I like rum so will probably buy this again.

Bourbon Pale Ale is much more complex - I don't really get on with pale ales as the gargantuan hop content normally winds up with it being too tangy for my tastes. This one isn't too hoppy, and the Bourbon finish is really pleasant - a smooth vanilla/whisky undertone that helps keep the hops in check. Think I prefer the rum one but have been really pleasantly surprised with this.

• 4 weeks later...

Fulcrum - A beautiful Northern Irish Wheat beer. Stunningly crisp, slightly sweet and not too heavy to drink. It's a tad on the stronger side, but it is a lovely, lovely brew. If anyone enjoys Erdinger, this is what I imagine a really, really good Erdinger would be like

fulcrum.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2016 at 6:34 PM, StumpyJohn said:

Drinking something a bit different tonight while cooking dinner, Titanic Plum Porter.  Am not a fan of chocolate or coffee porters but this is really nice.  Quite sweet but not too much and just the right amount of plummyness.

2641-1024x1024.jpg

I much prefer lighter ales but this is a superb porter.  Even better from the cask.

Anyway - another recommendation is Thornbridge - Jaipur.  I had 2 of the feckers then made an error in standing up.  I hadn't realised it's 5.9%.  But it's absolutely lush.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2016 at 20:10, Boothjan said:

I much prefer lighter ales but this is a superb porter.  Even better from the cask.

Anyway - another recommendation is Thornbridge - Jaipur.  I had 2 of the feckers then made an error in standing up.  I hadn't realised it's 5.9%.  But it's absolutely lush.

Thornbridge hadn't really been on my radar until we visited them on a recent trip to the Peak District.  Lovely folks at the brewery, but pretty much everything we tried from them was really lush  They're a pretty good brewery considering the growing size, and are still making a few unusual beers.

Their cocoa wonderland is basically like some kind of amazing dessert:

http://www.thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/product.php?s=cocoa-wonderland

Recently went to a brewery "tour" of London Fields brewery.  I say tour, they don't even brew at their London Fields tap room any more (other than a few recipe checks and experimental - which they don't serve to the public).  So we pretty much sat in a room listening, then looked some equipment and drank some beer.  It was fun enough, but honestly I've become very disappointed in them.  I'm sure I remember a time when they were doing weirder things, and their tap room had a great selection of ales.  Now they just have their 5 standards, that's all they do.  The guy justified it but his justification was basically "Because Business".  So they're fine and all but, meh.  I think they lost their mojo.