The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

I put loads of sugar in it too, so it ended up at 6.1%ABV, rather more than I was hoping for.

Easy as anything to do. Get a fermenter from Wilkinsons - they're about a fiver - five litres of sarsaparilla squash from Tesco (about £1.90 a litre), and some yeast. I used cider yeast, but anything will do. Baking yeast might make it taste a bit different, but it'll work and shouldn't make all that much difference.

Boil the sarsaparilla for 20 minutes to get rid of any preservatives that would stop fermentation.

Put it in the fermenter.

Fill up with water to around 23 litres (40 pints!)

Wait until the temperature is around 20 degrees C

Add the yeast, following the instructions on the packet. Some say just sprinkle on top and stir after 15 minutes, some you have to activate first in warm water

Give the whole thing a really vigorous stirring to aerate it

Put the lid on the fermenter, then crack it open just slightly.

Put somewhere warmish (18-22 degrees C) for a couple of weeks and then it'll be bottling time.

Add around a teaspoon of sugar to a bottle, then the sarsaparilla, then seal. Then leave for another two weeks and it's ready.

The only awkward thing is making sure EVERYTHING is really sterile.

Also, if you're interested: http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=222920

had a lovely pint of Anastasia's Special Exile tonight. Ascot Ales has long been my favourite brewer and AE my favourite of their pints... But ASE - dark stout double matured in a bourbon barrel? Absolute yum. Shame there is so little (just the one 16 gallon barrel) of it at the pub I (occasionally) go to that they're limiting it to half a pint per regular. And a good job I managed to persuade them to let me try a second half, just for research purposes you understand :)

A bit... it's like flat alcoholic root beer with a sort of sweet sherryish tang to it at the moment, but that might be because it's only just been bottled. I'll wait another month or so before opening one and finding out what it actually tastes like.

Well, my plan's changed a bit. I'm at my parents' for a birthday celebration, and I was persuaded to bring a few bottles. I'll be trying it again tonight, so I'll let you know what it's like after two weeks in the bottle.

Well, my plan's changed a bit. I'm at my parents' for a birthday celebration, and I was persuaded to bring a few bottles. I'll be trying it again tonight, so I'll let you know what it's like after two weeks in the bottle.

Well, a bit of a disappointment all told. It's flat (I wanted it to be fizzy), and although there's a hint of sarsaparilla, I wanted it to be strongly sarsaparilla flavoured. I reckon next time, I'll use twice as much sarsaparilla at every stage, and no sugar at the beginning. But that's enough about my brews.

I'll stop dragging this thread off-topic by recommending anyone in or near Leicester to visit The Offie, and to try the Orkney Blast, if you haven't already.

• 5 months later...

In terms of no replies the thread itself seemed to have disappeared completely. Nice to see it rise from the grave.

Thoroughly enjoying Weatherspoons beer fest as ever. Loads of dark beers on offer and the oatmeal porter was very nice.

In other news: picked up two large bottles of Leffe (radieuse and 9) for £7 which is both a bargain and something I'm really looking forward to opening up when the time is right. Leffe red is (IMO) definitely their best :)

((on the dissapeared thread side of things: I just looked for the season of pies thread and it's not there, nor is there a page 2 to scroll onto. Anyone know? Should I ask the question in A and F?))

At the bottom of the thread list, click 'Filter Options' and change 'last 30 days' to something longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was a dark night so deserved dark porter as a result (generally my favourite although I'm partial to a chestnut oatmeal stout or bitter as well).

Anyhow Russian Winter went down very easily (which I knew it would as my landlord suggested it with me in mind) but was completely obliterated by the lovely Emperor Penguin by Ascot Ales. Lovely stuff, so strong and rich it's sold by the half and tbh the only comparison I could make was that it was like drinking a whisky beer where the ratio was more former than latter or like drinking liquid wood from a sherry cask. Lovely stuff. Back there soon I hope.

I love all of the Schneider Weisse beers, but their Eisbock is something really special. 12% though, something to be enjoyed very slowly and never on an empty belly.

Have you tried the HopfenWeiss? Collaboration with Brooklyn Brewery - it's one of my favourite. No idea if they still make it - it did seem to crop up in beery London places for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Close the thread. Ultimate beer has been consumed (and sadly was one of those limited edition beers that I'll likely never have again :( :( :( )

Anyhow: half of Sgt Pepper stout (so called because it's got a very heavy dose of pepper in there) and half of Ascot Ales sublime Emperor Penguin Porter: a porter double matured, second time in sherry barrels.

On its own Emperor is beautiful, very deep and dark and without being too heavy. It's got flavour coming out of every drop and tastes, for want of any better description, like you're drinking the sherry infused wood of the barrels. Sgt Pepper is a smidge too strong in terms of Pepper but mixed with Emperor it's the most wonderful stout combination ever. Absolutely lip smackingly wonderful.

I may have to give up beer altogether now as it was so good :(

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...