The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

Team Leffe, FFF, Ascot and Harvey's Brewery for me. Radieuse, Comfortably Numb/Rat+ Warthog, SIngle Hop club and Ooze Booze FTW.

If I only had to pick one... Hmm Ascot or Leffe probably. Fortunately I don't have to pick one and real ale/beer has become the adult equiv of Pokemon for me :)

Tried some Badger Golden Champion over the weekend. I'm not usually a fan of bottled shop-bought stuff but it was actually really nice. Surprisingly sweet but not in an overbearing way.

I tried some too recently, LOVED it! Also tried their Englandy one, and a Golden something else. They were all good!

I also tried a bottle of Fuller's London Pride.

Couldn't manage more than a few mouthfuls, just awful :(

If anyone finds Springheads The Leveller on tap buy it immediately, it's amazing. A Belgian Trappist beer done in British style. Absolutely gorgeous. Can also buy it in bottles in Morrisons.

Schiehallion lagered bitter is also staggeringly nice.

Both of them were on in The Victoria in Leeds last week.

I also tried a bottle of Fuller's London Pride.

Couldn't manage more than a few mouthfuls, just awful :(

Pride from a bottle is nothing like draught. It's the same with most ales, I find.

Not just "not as nice", completely different.

Fuller's Organic Honeydew Ale

Spitfire

Desperado

My favourite lager is probably Asahi, but it's a bastard to get.

I tried a bottle of Spitfire on Sunday, after getting a little annoyed with my German language exchange partner. It was lovely.

Asahi is, in my opinion, the best Japanese beer, especially Super Dry.

I tried a bottle of Spitfire on Sunday, after getting a little annoyed with my German language exchange partner. It was lovely.

Asahi Super Dry and that Kirin Ichiban, awesome!

I've grown quite fond of the various Polish lagers in my local offie, Żywiec being a particular favourite. Strong as fuck though at 5.6%, and there are some others pushing 7% that don't taste it at all. Danger danger.

R-O-N-G, wrong.

Kirin ichiban is the best beer in the world, so by default is also the best Japanese beer (although whenever I've had it on tap in the UK it's been awful). I think I even prefer Sapporo to Asahi.

One beer that really annoys me is the Premium Malts. It tastes nice for one drink, but it's too rich to drink in any meaningful quantity.

Oh, and I was very pleasantly surprised by Kirin's stout, which I had to make do with on Patrick's Day...

R-O-N-G, wrong.

Kirin ichiban is the best beer in the world, so by default is also the best Japanese beer (although whenever I've had it on tap in the UK it's been awful). I think I even prefer Sapporo to Asahi.

One beer that really annoys me is the Premium Malts. It tastes nice for one drink, but it's too rich to drink in any meaningful quantity.

Oh, and I was very pleasantly surprised by Kirin's stout, which I had to make do with on Patrick's Day...

To each his own. I like to start with a couple of cans of the white Ebisu, then switch to Super Dry. Much prefer those two to any of the others. Went for Sapporo this weekend, after finding it cheaply in the local supermarket, and didn't like it as much.

I wish the nearby Seijoishi would get some more spitfire.

Budvar Premier Select (7.6%) is my new FAV.

Premier Select - Bud Premier Select with a 7.6ABV is in effect like Budvar Original with a gostripe, enjoying a fermentation period as long as a football seson. Available only in 330ml bottles it was described in Esquire magazine as "the greatest beer in the world".

I can only get it in a Coop about 6 miles from my house though.

I can get Peroni Gran Reserva from our Tescos, which is more than a suitable compromise. I do miss Taakawaa though, which I cant find anywhere anymore.

I saw some of this in my local off-licence the other day, it's only 3% ABV! Apparently it's very sweet and raspberry tasting.

I love Hoegaarden and the odd fruit beer, but at that strength this simply doesn't appeal to me.

Hoegaarden%20rose%20bier.jpg

Why not? What's the strength got to do with it? And anyway, that picture you posted says it's 4.5%

Anyone tried the chocolate beer you can get in certain convenience stores in Japan? I have seen it but can't face the thought.

Yep, my wife bought me some on Valentine's Day - maybe you remember they were selling twin packs of Dark and Light chocolate beers (by Suntory, I think).

I thought it was nice. Just like a fairly regular full bodied beer, with a chocolatey aftertaste. It reminded me of some fruit beers that I've had in the past.

Why not? What's the strength got to do with it? And anyway, that picture you posted says it's 4.5%

Point taken, I know strength shouldn't have anything to do when considering beer, but with that strength, packaging, and flavour notes I can't help thinking it's aimed at young people / not regular drinkers and I'd rather not waste my money - but of course I could be wrong!

Apologies, the one I saw was 3% (as mentioned here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/83/36649) - must be a slightly different version to the one in the pic

Fair enough. It might be nice though! If you saw the alcoholic sarsaparilla I've brewed in the shops you might think it was for kids, but despite it being an alcopop (it's fermented squash!) it's actually delicious.

I guess a 4-pack isn't really what you want to buy just to try it though. Unless it's really cheap (which would be another thing that would sound an alarm about the quality).