The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

• 4 months later...

You're probably right - but with general cheap-skate tramp juice you can drink a hell of a lot more before you start to feel bloated. Pity it tastes revolting and gives you headaches.

Are there any trappist beers that are a little less gassy? As soon as you open the bottle of Orval it all froths up like champagne.

Chimay Blue really makes me fart.

• 4 weeks later...

If any Londoners are looking for a fantastic beer bar check out the Rake in London Bridge (@RakeBar on Twitter). It's by the people behind Utobeer in Borough Market. They change barrels every day pretty much and have had some beautiful ales on over the last few weeks. Hundreds of bottled beers too.

I've had it a few times now, I LOVE the Dark Star American pale ale they have on at the moment. That said, I love pretty much everything Dark Star does.

I swear, I put on about two extra stone since moving to Belgium, and I blame two things, the beer and fries with mayo. :D

Favourite beers are:

Leffe_Bruin_beer.jpg

kasteelbier_bruin.jpg

piraat.jpg

rodenbach.jpg

Kwak.jpg

On a hot day I could go swimming in Kasteel beer, that's the daddy of beer for me. It's got such a rich, dark and heavy taste, nothing like it on a hot day. :angry:

On special occasions though, there's this great pub in Gent which serves 2 pints of Kwak in a special bulbed glass, but you have to leave your shoe in a basket to get it. It's usually the first stop when friends visit.

Might get some flak for being American beers, but these are truly tasty.

Then again, I'm a cider drinker, what do I know?

Sierra_Nevada_Pale_Ale_bottle.jpg

Slightly hoppy, light, a little citrusy. Available in big tescos for about £1.89 a bottle.

anchorsteam_bottle.jpg

Very nice hearty brew, available on certain import beers sites for a similar price to the above.

greatwhite.jpg

Hoppy, wonderful citrus kick to it, just goes down so easy, an amazing summer beer, suits the climate in California.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to find a source for this in the UK. Let me know if you've seen any, PLEASE!!

Pyramid_Audacious_Apricot_Ale.png

Again US only as far as I know, but man, worth a shot. Not an every day beer, but a great trying experience! APRICOT!

Might get some flak for being American beers, but these are truly tasty.

Then again, I'm a cider drinker, what do I know?

Only a moron would give you flack for drinking american beers.

They produce some of the best beers in the world in the States.

For the record, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one of my faves.

Regarding the yank beer, Anchor Steam Beer is indeed excellent.

Try Blue Moon, it's much easier to get hold of than most others. I'm pretty sure it's Coors owned (hence it finds its way to supermarkets), but tastes very good. Just make sure you pop a slice of orange in there!

Yeah but mild? :(

What's wrong with milds? I've dranks some beauties since the weather has been nice, my favourite so far being Nethergate Priory Mild.

I went to a local food & drink festival yesterday and bought some chilli beer. Looking forward to sampling it, once my addled brain has recovered.

Regarding the yank beer, Anchor Steam Beer is indeed excellent.

Try Blue Moon, it's much easier to get hold of than most others. I'm pretty sure it's Coors owned (hence it finds its way to supermarkets), but tastes very good. Just make sure you pop a slice of orange in there!

I never did try that, I did notice how it was just everywhere, and obviously wrongly assumed it would be shit.

Also, Scrimshaw or Red Seal for anyone going Norcal / Oregon is a good look in, too!

+1 for American beers.

Spent a week in Charlottesville VA in January and sampled so many nice local brews, all punctuated with shitloads of draft Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

OMFG teh hopocalypse!!!!!!!

This is also incredible, and my local Oddbins have been stocking it lately:

1387.jpg

• 3 weeks later...