The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

All I have been drinking recently are Brew Dog beers. They are amazing. I got some 77 from Tescos the other week and it is lush. But my shipment of Harcore IPA arrived in the week. I finished off most of it yesterday and it was awesome.

bottle.jpg

I fucking love BrewDog. Need to get on their site and order a few cases of the rarer stuff, Dundee for all its alkie qualities doesn't seem to carry anything other than Physics, Punk and Trashy Blonde.

All I have been drinking recently are Brew Dog beers. They are amazing. I got some 77 from Tescos the other week and it is lush. But my shipment of Harcore IPA arrived in the week. I finished off most of it yesterday and it was awesome.

bottle.jpg

Picked up some of these yesterday - they were 3 for 2 in Sainsburys.

Gotta say, I thought the Hardcore IPA was pretty nasty - it had a really chemically aftertaste. Mind you, I was pretty hungover and its 9% (!!), which I didn't realise until I looked at the bottle.

Just trying 'Dogma' and 'Chaos Theory', which are much more to my liking, and not quite so ridiculously strong. I approve :(

• 2 weeks later...

Chaos Theory / Dogma / Hardcore IPA are 65p / bottle at the Sainsburys near my work (High Wycombe). I bought 24 bottles over Thursday and Friday. Love them all - Hardcore IPA is so strong you really need to clear a space either side of it to be able to get the best out of it. I'm sure drinking it hungover isn't going to give you the best impression. Chaos Theory is my favourite of the three - massive hop flavour, but slightly floral / spicy as well. I thought it might have some Coriander in it, but apparently not. Wonderful stuff.

Tesco also do Punk IPA (6%), Zeitgeist (4.9% dark lager) and 77 (4.9% pilsner), which are all superb as well.

On my last birthday, some friends clubbed together (!) to buy me a bottle of Paradox Grain (10% whisky cask aged ale). It was delicious, but the night did not end well at all ;)

Looks like Brewdog might have another "Punk" themed beer on the way.

Edit : Williams Bros IPA and Ceilidh are 75p/bottle as well - will pick some up tomorrow if it's still there.

Chaos Theory / Dogma / Hardcore IPA are 65p / bottle at the Sainsburys near my work (High Wycombe). I bought 24 bottles over Thursday and Friday. Love them all - Hardcore IPA is so strong you really need to clear a space either side of it to be able to get the best out of it. I'm sure drinking it hungover isn't going to give you the best impression. Chaos Theory is my favourite of the three - massive hop flavour, but slightly floral / spicy as well. I thought it might have some Coriander in it, but apparently not. Wonderful stuff.

Tesco also do Punk IPA (6%), Zeitgeist (4.9% dark lager) and 77 (4.9% pilsner), which are all superb as well.

On my last birthday, some friends clubbed together (!) to buy me a bottle of Paradox Grain (10% whisky cask aged ale). It was delicious, but the night did not end well at all :P

Looks like Brewdog might have another "Punk" themed beer on the way.

Edit : Williams Bros IPA and Ceilidh are 75p/bottle as well - will pick some up tomorrow if it's still there.

Chaos Theory is really awesome beer. I got a couple for novelty value, thinking it was a nice name for a gimmick beer, and really regretted only getting three. Massively hoppy, like you say, tasted almost like...grapefruit?

For how strong it it, the stuff is really, really drinkable, dangerously so.

bottle.jpg

I was drinking that draught at a Real Ale and Cider festival on Sat :)

I got fucking twunted. :D It's nice though!

• 3 weeks later...

Been Dodging the unwashed (whilst attempting to locate a cashier to serve me, ironically) and visiting my local aldi.

Couple of recommendations, the 'spaten' oktoberfestbier being the best find 50cl so just under a pint, 5.9% and 1 19 for a lovely strong fizzy yet pallatable lager, can't reccomend this one enough, going down tomorrow to get a box.

Secondly 'schofferhofer' is a decent pale wheatbeer. 5% vol and a decent alternative to hoegarden etc whilst being significantly cheaper at 1.19 for 50cl.

I've drank some shit in the search for the good stuff from that shop so advise people to test these 2, especially the oktoberfestbier, only appeared recently, hope the name doesn't allude to it's shelf life.

• 2 weeks later...

Hook Norton has a vertical, family owned, Victorian brewery. All the ingredients are taken to the top and gravity is used for the manufacturing process.

It is in Oxfordshire to the west of Banbury and featured in a Morse episode.

And is most famous for its Hooky beer, a fine IPA. However they do make a range of beers, some seasonal and some bottled.

At the end of the brewery drive is a fantastic pub, The Pear Tree.

The landlord here, Ian Miller, has a collection of dodgy old BMWs.

He also has every currently available Hook Norton beer on handpump, even those that are normally only available bottled.

So that is about six different beers, all kept perfectly.

I go about once a month and work my way through them. The wife drives home.

The landlord is also the beer taster at the brewery and has infinite beer knowledge. He can tell you all the different hop varieties and what they do to a beer, for instance. I think he has had a big influence on Hook Norton experimenting with new beers. Their Gold has come from nowhere to become extremely popular, it is one of my favourites. Also they have been experimenting with some dark beers.

I would not recommend this as a top place to eat.

Also every year there is a fantastic beer festival in the garden.

Hook Norton website: http://www.hooknortonbrewery.co.uk/

The Pear Tree: http://oxford-pubs.com/pubs/location_maps/pear_tree.html

Beer festival: http://www.hookybeerfest.co.uk/index.html

Many years ago now I was wandering through Temple Bar in Dublin when I came across a double fronted shop which had been converted into a microbrewery/bar. It was called the Porterhouse and you had to walk over/through (getting hazy here) the stainless steel piping to get to the bar. They had many variations on the porter theme, all excellent, and I got suitably lubricated.

Over the years I have been back many times. They won lots of awards. They beat Guinness in international competitions. They moved the brewery equipment out to make room for more drinkers. And they settled on a menu of three lagers, three stouts and three ales. All excellent and all (I think) award winners.

Then they expanded. And the truth is I prefer their Nassau Street bar now, near Trinity College. To sit in there, with waitress service, drinking their Plain Porter and eating oysters is pretty close to paradise.

They have also moved to England. In Covent Garden, London. They send shipping containers over full of beer barrels. I haven't drunk there yet, but hope that the Plain Porter is just as good as it is in Dublin.

But Desperados is probably my beer of choice these days. 'Mazing.

This just popped into my head so I thought I'd nip into the thread and mention this.

I've not had it in ages, may in fact, yet it is indeed AMAZING.

Beer and a bit of tequila? Outstanding! Kinda hard to find though.

desperados-large.jpg

240661388_bef441e801.jpg

Omnomnomnomnomnom!

Germany has hundreds of small family breweries making good stuff to the purity laws. Most of which we have never heard of.

Enter Lidl and Aldi.

They always have obscure German beers. And they sell them very cheaply.

Currently I have some Grafenwalder Heffe Weissbier from Lidl, made in Unna, which is drinkable even if the beer snobs look down on it.

3691138432_73128b0e56.jpg

I like Duvel but it's 8.5% is it anything like that.

I noticed the word "duvel" on the label

It's from the same brewery but it's lighter than Duvel. I think you'd like it.

If you're in Manchester you could visit a small cafe called The Art of Tea in Didsbury. I nip into occasionally as they do nice food and it's where I tried it. They swap the beers about though so I'm unsure how long it'll be there for.

• 3 weeks later...
Is the brewdog stuff any good?

I don't really care for their 30% + brew but if they do something 8 - 12 then I'm interested. Pity I've not seen it actually being sold anywhere.

I love Brewdog. There's a few pubs hae it on draft and in casks, but you can get it in bottles from Sainsburys or Tesco usually. They do some 8-12% beers.