The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

Spent two weeks in the Balkans and drank a few of the local lagers.

Sarajevsko in Bosnia was really good and fuelled a fun evening in Sarajevo. Although, they kept trying to get me to have bloody Heineken or Carlsberg (I think these two are trying to stamp their authority in the country, which is a shame).

Ozujsko in Croatia, which I thought was very good, as well, and they had some neat Euro 2008 glasses, decorated with Croatian colours, which somehow made their way into my rucksack!

Drank Nik Cool in Montenegro which came served with a lemon. Tasted okay for a summer lager, but it's no Corona! The normal Niksicko lager was much better.

• 4 weeks later...
Asahi is fucking lush. Asahi dark is like drinking treacle mixed with mud. And decomposed squirrels.

Polish lager is pretty good, I've tried quite a few nice ones recently, I think Lech is still my favourite though.

THAT sounds like exactly what i'm after. I tried a Lowenbrau (sp?) when i was in Munich, and i was only drinking it because someone else bought six bottles and thought it was disgusting, and dark treacle was the only way i could describe the taste. The closest I've come to finding something like it back in Glasgow has been the dark Krusovice, which is really, really light in comparison, and Cairngorms' Black Gold... but none of them have been quite the same, so i'm pretty keen to try this Asahi dark now.

I've tried Asahi before, and Kirin Ichiban, and they're both really light and crisp. I'd be out of the door for some lager right now if i weren't concerned about my expanding gut.

Drank shitloads of Leffe in France. 20 bottles for 12 euro.

It's just ridiculously cheap over there. Not to mention that you can get Leffe 9 in France, which is lethal and unfortunately, a beer that I've haven't sighted in any supermarkets or off-licences in the UK.

THAT sounds like exactly what i'm after. I tried a Lowenbrau (sp?) when i was in Munich, and i was only drinking it because someone else bought six bottles and thought it was disgusting, and dark treacle was the only way i could describe the taste. The closest I've come to finding something like it back in Glasgow has been the dark Krusovice, which is really, really light in comparison, and Cairngorms' Black Gold... but none of them have been quite the same, so i'm pretty keen to try this Asahi dark now.

I've tried Asahi before, and Kirin Ichiban, and they're both really light and crisp. I'd be out of the door for some lager right now if i weren't concerned about my expanding gut.

Only place I can recommend would be most of the shops in China Town and also the Japan Centre on Picadilly, both London, although I guess any China Town would carry it. Otherwise, online, forget the sites though.

• 3 weeks later...

Lidl do a good (and cheap) lager. The name escapes me right now, something like Liefstahlen Pils. I'll have to go and buy some and report back with more details. It's a really clean, crisp, pure tasting lager though, presumably due to all that reinheitsgebot purity shizzle they have (had... it got repealed in 1987) in Germany.

Only place I can recommend would be most of the shops in China Town and also the Japan Centre on Picadilly, both London, although I guess any China Town would carry it. Otherwise, online, forget the sites though.

Asahi black can be had in some Waitrose stores as well. And there's a pub in the middle of Borough Market in London if you're around these parts which not only does Asahi black, but about 200 other random bottles beers, pilsners, ales, etc. It's pretty special and a great place to get stuck into a session on a cold winter's day :) Just googled it - The Rake. Something to do with people who run another place called Utobeer, if that's any good as part of the recommendation...

My local Tesco are carrying Sierra Nevada "Summerale" - actually a bottom fermented beer, essentially a lager. American, but the bottom fermentation gives it a distinctly Franconian edge. Well worth trying if you see it.

yeah I love this but I always feel i am being short changed with the smaller bottles.

I hate some Nigerian Guinness at Bar Kohl in Edinburgh at the weekend. It's just ruined lager for me completely. Maybe I should go get some of that Brew Dog Hop Rocker, it had a lot of potency and flavour for a lager.

Is that the same as Guinness Foreign Extra? About 7%?

Is that Sierra Nevada Summerale different from the regular, batch ale that the Sierra brewery do (the one with the green label with the cabin on it)? I've tried that a few times and found it to my liking, especially on tap, so I'd be intrigued to try anything else they do. I'd advise you to steer clear of their Christmas Celebration Ale, though.

Not unlike drinking an old Boddingtons through a plastic hose.

Is that Sierra Nevada Summerale different from the regular, batch ale that the Sierra brewery do (the one with the green label with the cabin on it)? I've tried that a few times and found it to my liking, especially on tap, so I'd be intrigued to try anything else they do. I'd advise you to steer clear of their Christmas Celebration Ale, though.

Not unlike drinking an old Boddingtons through a plastic hose.

Yeah the Summerale is different to the Pale Ale. A bit more "lager"-ey, in the true German sense. They're both very good though.

Currently quaffing a Brew Dog Trashy Blonde, which is about as full-flavoured a lager as I've tasted in a while, despite being a quaffable 4.1%. It's flavour is instantly recognisible as a Brew Dog bevvy too, which quite surprises me, they always have a little trademark "zing" at the start of the aftertaste that reminds you you're drinking punky, independant beer.

I'm also about to try their new Speedball superale at a gutbusting 8.3%, but this is a thread for lager, so I'll leave that for somewhere else.

TRied Oettinger in Germany recently and Warsteiner in Italy. BOth great, i guess they might be pils rather than lager if theres any difefrence.

Oettinger was the staple beer of every flat party during my year studying in Germany, mainly because it was available for about 30 cents a bottle. Not the greatest beer in the world, but when you could get a whole crate for 5 Euro, then you couldn't go wrong.

Ah, Oettinger!

:D

• 6 months later...

Oh Yes.

Grab a couple of the last cans shown on the following page, get nice and cold and consume, mmmm;

http://www.mountfuji.co.uk/acatalog/Japanese_Beer.html

EDIT: Holy Crap ~ IIRC, they used to be £9.99 each, but three get the fourth free - That will now cost £55 plus delivery :P

I still think getting two every now and then is worth it though, bloody increased prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a couple of bottles of Harbin Lager the other day:

harbin.jpg

A Chinese lager - very light and crisp, comparabe to Tsingtao or Asahi, but a bit stronger. The bottles came in really nice rice paper wrappers (or sleeping bags as the Mrs called them) with chinese script on. They had them at 2 for £3 in our local Tescos. It was the first time I'd seen this brand, and I'll certainly be getting more if I see it again.

Yum!