The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

I had a Bud the other day, ice cold from a bottle.

It was okay, but at that temp it tastes like water. It's about as good as Tesco Lager - passable when super cold, but hardly the crisp taste that sends you into a happy delirium after a hard day's work.

The nicest one I've tried recently is Lapin Kulta Premium. Only had one pint, but it was far better than the other beers over in Finland - which aren't bad.

I also tried a drink called Lonkero. It's a Gin Long Drink and I think you can only get it there, sadly. Like a Bacardi Breezer from the 50s. Really nice though.

• 1 month later...

I walked into Tesco's the other day when I was on anti-biotics (The type you drink with and you are violently ill!) and I stupidiy thought I'd check out the lagers section. :) Fair play to Tescos (who I hate by the way) their beers have improved immensely after the last time i looked. They had Birra Moretti, Estrella Damm, Amstel, Nastro Azzuro, King Cobra and a load of others. The prices weren't too bad either although Amstel was a rather pricey £4.49 for 4 bottles and the King Cobra was £3.30 for a bottle (Is it any good?). Birra Moretti was only £1.69 for a big bottle and Nastro a couple of quid for a big one too.

anyway, definitely a better selection than most places. I happily went back there after I'd finished my course of tablets!!:(

Yeah Tesco is doing amazing with all the single bottle beers too - belgian abbeys, european & asian lagers, wheat beers. I had a fantastic 'Black lager' from there the other day - can't remmeber the name right now but it was top - like a refreshing, clean fizzy stout.

It seems like Tesco have finally realised that people want something more than a 24 pack of Carling or Carlsberg Export, and actaully buy beers for the pleasure of taste (something Waitrose did decades ago). Interesting to see if this is a regional/market thing Tesco are doing... For example do the scummy Tescos in scummy areas still have this selection?

Most supermarkets are doing it now I think, my local Sainsburys have had Estrella, Tiger, King Cobra, Amstel, Staropramen, just off the top of my head, well, for quite a while. I know a few Tescos with similiar stocks, they've also started selling Zywiec and, hmm, the other popular Polish lager I forget the name of, not as good as Zywiec though. Pretty cheap too.

King Cobra is so expensive because it's, I think, about 7%.

I'm spoilt, though. In Amsterdam a 4 pack of Amstel Gold (6%, 300ml bottles) was something like £2.20. :(

Well, I'm going through a JD phase at the mo, but I did partake in a few beers last night. Bud - it's ok but I can't help but feel that it's too sugary after a good few pints. I enjoyed a bottled Duval in a pub last night however - certainly one too take easy but I found it drinkable and tasty - maybe a little too dark for my taste buds tho.

Special mention to Sam Adams however - enjoyed a few pints in New York a couple of weeks ago. Tasty and just so light and drinkable - I certainly would drink more here if it was easily availible.

My local Tescos has more of the 24 pack mentality - Carling et al. I live in a VERY studenty area. But King Cobra - get yerself a 4 pk and you know you've had a drink =)

Ah, beer. Trying to go a bit easier on the drink lately, but I know what I like. I used to drink just cider, but the majority of that got vastly crap, and I matured quite a bit towards alcohol, so now I am a beer man.

Many would be surprised at how the transport/storage medium affects the taste. Coors is actually rather poor on tap and passable from a can, but ice cold from a bottle, Coors is sublime. Faintly fruity but not sweet, easy to drink but with charisma, and hey, it looks cool to drink - like something Wolverine might drink. ^_^ 5% too.

Bottled Coors rules, but oddly, canned Budweiser is better than Bud from bottles, but Bud Ice from bottles is great also.

So in my good books are Coors, Budweiser, Bud Ice, Corona, and a couple of others. Tried some Asahi too, not bad.

I don't seem to like much outside that "kind" of beer. "Watching the football" beers like Carlsberg and such don't interest me, neither do things like Tiger. Ah well. In all fairness, things like Hoegaarden and Tiger taste like they've had syrup poured in them to me, and many of the citrus beers, especially Foster's citrus just taste too weak.

So yep, for me it has to be Coor's, but only from a bottle, and ice cold.

Surprised there's been so much "you're wrong!" in this thread, to be honest, I would have thought that people would have realised that if you like the taste and it gets you pissed then it's a successful beer.

I've been drinking in the house more than the pub recently. My impressions:-

Grolsch 300ml - Cheap and cheerful. Not entirely water, but it seems completely different from the big bottles with flip tops that I remember from years ago. Acceptable.

Tuborg 300ml - I would have rated the Tuborg Gold that I had in Denmark as some of the best lager I'd ever had. This stuff is totally different. Cold seems to eliminate all the taste. Pointless except for the novelty of the ring pull bottle top.

Petermans Artois can - I'm not a huge fan of Stella, so this was quite a pleasant surprise. Refreshing, cheap and tasty with no ill effect. A step up from Fosters, Tennants etc.

Amstel 330ml - A class purchase. Still has that proper continental flavour without being overpowering. Recommended.

• 2 months later...

Had some Birra Moretti on recommendation of, I'm sure, this thread, last night. Pretty fucking bad, IMO.

Tuborg - drinkable but nothing special.

Baltiva (?) - again, drinkable but not memorable, unfortunately. Russian lager, spotted in Waitrose, worth a try at least.

Fucking Asahi. Jesus. A cold bottle is divine, why is it so hard to find? :lol:

I had Leffe 9° recently when I was in France. Lovely stuff, although it tasted a bit like homebrew ale.

Whilst I'm on the subject, it's schocking how much cheaper Leffe/Hoegarden and the like are over on the Continent. A big bottle of Leffe cost about €1.60, and equivalent costs nearly 4 quid over here!

RIP OFF BRITAIN!![/DailyMail]

Had some Birra Moretti on recommendation of, I'm sure, this thread, last night. Pretty fucking bad, IMO.

Tuborg - drinkable but nothing special.

Baltiva (?) - again, drinkable but not memorable, unfortunately. Russian lager, spotted in Waitrose, worth a try at least.

Fucking Asahi. Jesus. A cold bottle is divine, why is it so hard to find? <_<

Love Birra Morreti. Very easy to drink and has that italian lager flavour to it. Its one of those drinks that I can still fit in after a heavy meal (unlike say Stella, Kronenberg etc). Tuborg is good too for a 4% lager. Baltiva is shit.

Love Asahi but never see it anywhere in pubs. On tap would be a dream!

I had a beer called Kathmandu on friday with my curry. Pretty tasty and from Nepal.

I had some cash, so I decided to get some new beers to drink while I introduced my bro to Star Wars. I tried Dortmuner, which was fairly arse, and Kronenberg Cru and Kronenberg Blanc, which were surprisingly good! Cru was very smooth, and Blanc is very fruity. They're not the kind of beers you can drink bottles and bottles of, but one now and then is great.

Technically this isn't double posting, it's been over 24 hours!

Today I went down to my local beer-off, and used their 8 for £7 offer to try some beers I've never had before (and some I have :( ).

The new ones I got were LaBatt Ice, Desperados, Budweiser Budvar, Tsingtao, and Kronenbourg 1664. So far I've drank Labatt, Desperados and the Kronenbourg. Kronenbourg is okay, I'd drink it again! Labatt tastes like Coors Light mixed with pulped paper - weird, but kinda nice somehow.

Desperados though. Wow! It's a tequila beer. I really like my tequila to begin with, but this is great. It's the perfect balance of beer, tequila and lemon juice. It's teh gorgeous! And 6% ;) I can't wait 'til Sammy Hagar's Cabo Beer.

Also had some Miller and Kronenbourg Blanc tonight, lubly. :P And in keeping with my previous post, my little bro has seen Empire Strikes Back (He preferred A New Hope o_O) and we're onto Return of the Jedi. The Ewoks just showed up.

I've mostly been drinking Tyskie recently. The off-licence round the corner from me obviously gets it from somewhere other than the reglar importer (cans are all in Polish, with a competition to win a Polish Sat-Nav!) They sell it in Asda too, although their cans are in English. Tyskie, Zywiec and Lech are all still doing it for me.

I'm off to town tonight for a session. Maybe I'll discover something else.