IGNORED

Great Recipe Books

fragglerock

Susan Crook - The Survival Guide To Cooking In The Student Kitchen

438048m.jpg

I am not sure this was the exact version I had, but an equivelent was used to open my eyes to help me budget and make nice stuff for my flatmates as a student.

Nigel Slater - Real Fast Food: 350 Recipes Ready-To-Eat In 30 Minutes

401659m.jpg

I think this book is what first got me into "proper" cooking. Great ideas for great food that would be ready before the curry place could deliver! It also encouraged me to have good quality ingredients.

Nigel Slater - Real Cooking

401634m.jpg

When I felt a bit more confident about more complex recipes.

I can recommend Nigella Lawson, her recipes are excellent.

You often tend to find that "professional chefs" i.e. Gary Rhodes, those who run their own restaurants, include recipes but you get the feeling they leave out something, that little something that makes them special. Apparently it's a fairly common practice: they're selling to you the dishes from their restaurant, but it'll never be the same. That's why people like Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson, Mary Berry etc. are great books to buy: the recipes work *every fucking time*.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...4268664-3814215

Good Housekeeping Cook Book. It is absolutely indispensable. So, so fantastic, and recipes for every occasion. Can't recommend it highly enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...4268664-3814215

Another "oldie goldie", this is Delia's opus, really. Fantastic recipes, most of them easy to do, and everything turns out perfect. That's what you want in a cookbook, after all. There is also an illustrated one available, and if you're uneasy in the kitchen, or getting into cookery, her "How to Cook" series really is quite good. It's never actually patronising, and some people actually do need to be taught basic things like boiling an egg, how to chop properly, etc...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...4268664-3814215

Mary Berry is the Queen of cake makers/puddings. This is a fantastic guide for loads and loads of cakes. If you like desserts, try Mary Berry. Lots of old recipes that you'd probably never see otherwise too.

The annoying cockney Jamie Oliver, and the recipe book circulated illegally by email.

(I'll try and actually remember what it's called tonight)

A load of good recipes, some of which are incredibly simple, even for a cretin like me. Just a shame sometimes he appears to rely on ingredients which are impossible to find in somewhere like Peterborough.

But Wild Mushroom Spaghetti for example introduced me into the world of actually doing proper cooking, and enjoying it, and realising it doesn't have to take mreo than 20 minutes to get a reasonable meal prepared...

Plus it has the recipe for Tempura Fired Vegetables....

Nigel Slater - Real Fast Food: 350 Recipes Ready-To-Eat In 30 Minutes

401659m.jpg

I think this book is what first got me into "proper" cooking. Great ideas for great food that would be ready before the curry place could deliver! It also encouraged me to have good quality ingredients.

Best cookbook I've ever come across. I still use it several times a week and have bought it as a present for loads of my friends. It's one of the few books I'd call essential for everyone interested in food. And frankly, for £5.99 it's worth a gamble if you don't have it.

Outdated in parts, but still an absolute classic that I've refered to for years when I'm not sure what to do with something:

Delia Smith - Complete Cookery Course

0563362499.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg