rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Calashnikov

November 04 Hip-hop Recommendations

Yo and stuff.

It's a big month for hip-hop.

B00067RGD6.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Two of our genre's super-beings are back with more ridiculous collaborations than an orgy at a zoo. November 15. Gonna be great. I checked out that RZA/AG jam. It's funky like Pampers. Automator is back! Prine Paul is BACK!

B000301YYI.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also November 15. The nesser sighted MC Eminem. You might remember him from Rawkus Presents Sound-Bombing 2 <_<

B000639XUO.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

November 22 for the live Wu-Tang DVD. Got some special features 'bout stuff going on in RZA's studio. Worth a scope, no doubt.

B0004FSFOO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This one came out in the last week of last month. We gave it no exposure but apparently it's AMAZING. Can't wait to check it out. Fools are positively raving about it.

Here we go then, fellas. It's the penultimate month of an ultimate year. We saw new albums from some of the biggest and best this year. I honestly can't believe all the cats who came out with stuff. From Beastie Boys, through De La Soul, Beatnuts, The Roots, MFDoom, Dilated, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang, Pete Rock and to Eminem. There's been a lot of HUGE releases.

EDIT - Here are the previous editions:

October 04

September 04

August 04

July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

January 04

December Part 2 03

December Part 1 03

November 03

October 03

The thread that started it all

Definitely looking foward to Em's new one. Though I don't want a repeat of 'The Eminem Show', having heard Mosh things are perhaps looking up. Lyrically anyway this track shines, despite the style of delivery being a bit slow and plain for my liking. Regardless, Eminem has always been one MC I've found capable of varying his rapping style to suit, so in this case it's more important the lyrics are decent than how they're spit. Anyhow, can't wait.

Play.com emailed me on friday to say that - finally - they'd shipped my copy of 'Vengeance is Mine' so that will keep me going until Em's new CD drops anyway. Goretex's debut was also released late last month but I've not managed to get a hold of that yet either.

I've not experienced Edo G or Pete Rock yet but I'll have to sample some stuff after recommendations like that.

Oh, and Nas brings out Street's Disciple on the 29th. I can't find any images, though. It's gonna be 2 discs. 11 tracks on each. Hope it doesn't seem overblown as a consequence.

For those who didn't know, RZA has done the score for the new Blade flick. The soundtrack is out on the 23rd.

The soundtrack, which will be available in two editions, including a  "Deluxe' Version" which includes a 9-panel manga comic by Takashi Okazaki, plus a DVD with a four-and-a-half minute anime short film, a 13-minute behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of the film, a 5-minute behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of the manga, production sketches, and a gallery of international posters for the film. Both versions of the soundtrack album will hit store shelves on November 23rd, 2004.

The soundtrack will also feature score crafted by the Wu-Tang Clan's RZA, who is quickly becoming one of the most in-demand film composers around due to his work on Ghost Dog, Soul Plane, and Tarantino's Kill Bill films. RZA contributes 5 songs to the soundtrack and co-composed the score with Ramin Djawadi.

"Working with The RZA was a great experience," said the film's director, screenwriter, and producer David Goyer.  "He pulls in so many different, wide-ranging elements for his sounds and constantly surprises you.  You never know where he'll find inspiration."

Blade: Trinity Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Complete Track Listing

"Fatal" - The RZA

"I Gotta Get Paid" - Lil' Flip/Ghostface Killah/Raekwon

"When The Guns Come Out" - WC/E-40

"Thirsty" -- Kool Keith & ODB

"Daywalkers (Foot Chase)" - Ramin/RZA

"Party In Tha Morgue" - Kool Keith

"Skylight" - Overseer

"Hardwax" - Manchild

"Bombs Away" - Paris Texas

"Weapons of Mad Distortion" - Crystal Method

"The Blood" - Black Lab

"Blade's Back" - Ramin Djawadi

B000667GNC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I've read that the anime on the DVD features RZA. Sounds cool. But not as cool as the idea of Kool Keith and ODB exchanging rhymes over a RZA beat. I've got high hopes for that track, d00ds.

Block McCloud - No You Won't.mp3

Block McCloud - Master's Degree(feat Jean Grae,Pumpkinhead & Killah Priest).mp3

Posting these up to give some more exposure to Block McCloud and Brooklyn Academy. I have been listening to the album "Block McCloud - I was drunk when I made this" for the last couple of weeks it's been on near constant rotation due to its varied beats and superb wordplay. Block is part of a collective called Brooklyn Academy. They consist of Lou Cipha, Block McCloud, Pumpkinhead, Jean Grae and many more. The 2 tracks posted are from a 12" single released on Uncle Howie and aren't on the album. They are 2 very good examples of rap over a rock themed beat.

picserver.gif

Also check this out

Lyrical Commission - The stage is set

mu_lcstage_v_l.jpg

Some Australian hip hop thats levels above a lot of US crap that's coming out just now.

These guys have done a collaboration with Mark "Chopper" Reid - Now that's Gangsta.

I've not experienced Edo G or Pete Rock yet but I'll have to sample some stuff after recommendations like that.

You NEED to check out some of Pete Rock's back catalogue. He's continually touted as being one of the top 3 producers of all time. I just recently got into him in a huge way. I never really appreciated how good his stuff was until I checked out a broadcast of a live show he did with his on-off buddy, CL Smooth. I just listened cause I was bored at work. It blew me away and I've since been buying everything of his that I can lay my hands on. If you wanna just download a few of his productions as a wee taster allow me to recommend:

Shut 'Em Down (Pete Rock remix) - Public Enemy

The World Is Yours - Nas (which I'm sure you've heard, judging by your "epiphany" thread)

T.R.O.Y. (They Reminisce Over You) - Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Tru Master - Pete Rock feat. Inspectah Deck and Kurupt

Pete's Jazz - Pete Rock

Sun Wont Come Out - Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Appreciate - Pete Rock & CL Smooth

These are my favourite Pete Rock tracks. Maybe some folk have different opinions?

Oh, and Nas brings out Street's Disciple on the 29th. I can't find any images, though. It's gonna be 2 discs. 11 tracks on each. Hope it doesn't seem overblown as a consequence.

Was going to post that myself.

PRERELCDNASIR.JPG

Track Listing:

1. A Message To The Feds, Sincerely, We Are The People (Intro)

2. A Message To The Feds, Sincerely, We Are The People

3. Nazareth Savage

4. American Way-Feat. Kelis

5. Coon Picnic (These Are Our Heroes)

6. Disciple

7. Sekou Story-Feat. Scarlett

8. Live Now-Feat. Scarlett

9. Rest Of My Life

10. Just A Moment-Feat. Quan

11. Reason-Feat. Emily

Bonus Track

12. You Know My Style

1. Suicide Bounce-Feat. Busta Rhymes

2. Streets Disciple-Feat. Olu Dara

3. U.B.R. (Unauthorized Biography Of Rakim)

4. Virgo-Feat. Ludacris & Doug E. Fresh

5. Remember The Times (Intro)

6. Remember The Times

7. The Makings Of A Perfect Bitch

8. Getting Married

9. No One Else In The Room-Feat. Maxwell

10. Bridging The Gap-Feat. Olu Dara

11. War-Feat. Keon Bryce

12. Me & You (Dedicated To Destiny)

Bonus Tracks

13. Thief's Theme

14. Thief's Theme-Feat. Rising Son

Having only heard the second single (no. 10, disc 2) it sounds promising. A far cry from anything he's released ever before. Nice to see him collaborating with his dad. It's got a heavy jazz influence and perhaps is some indication that Nas is going back to his roots with this new album.

These are my favourite Pete Rock tracks. Maybe some folk have different opinions?

I'm biased but

It's Us - Non Phixion

Get on the Mic and the remix are 2 of my all time faves.

I gave up on Nas after a while, Illmatic was incredible, The follow up was under par with only a couple of stand out tracks and the last Nas album I bought was the one with "Hate Me Now" but again I was underwhelmed. Thief's Theme was good but I just think meh too much dross to plow through. Anyone wanna recommend his good tracks.

His last album, God's Son, was apparently a return to goodness in a lot of parts. 'Get Down' and 'Made U Look' were two honest-to-goodness INCREDIBLE songs on there. I never heard the rest, but I've heard positive opinions. Check those 2 tracks out if you can. The album that you have with "Hate Me Now" is generally regarded as being his weakest release.

His last album, God's Son, was apparently a return to goodness in a lot of parts. 'Get Down' and 'Made U Look' were two honest-to-goodness INCREDIBLE songs on there. I never heard the rest, but I've heard positive opinions. Check those 2 tracks out if you can. The album that you have with "Hate Me Now" is generally regarded as being his weakest release.

The Eminem produced The Cross isn't too bad either but on the whole it isn't a great album, certainly nowhere near Illmatic. I've got relatively high hopes for the newie as his new single is great, we shall see.

November's going to be all about MM Food for me, can't wait.

Flip, how could I forget MF Doom? <_<

Yeah, that's going to be great. From what I heard of the early versions it's going to be a classic. An expensive month for sure.

50_3.JPG

1. "Beef Rapp"

2. "Hoe Cakes"

3. "Potholderz" (feat. Count Bass-D; prod. Count Bass-D)

4. "One Beer" (prod. Madlib)

5. "Frendz"

6. "Poo-Putt Platter"

7. "Fillet"

8. "Bi-Carbonate Of Figleaf"

9. "Con Carne"

10. "Guinnessez (feat. Angelika & 4ize)"

11. "Con Queso" (prod. PNS (Of The Molemen))

12. "Rapp Snitch Knishez" (feat. Mr. Fantastik)

13. "Vomitspit"

14. "Kookiez"

It's out next week (!!!!!!!!) on the 7th. Apparently...

Just looking at that Doom tracklist again. Why isn't 'Super' on there?! :)

Maybe they just changed the name? Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking 'Hoecakes' might be it, seeing as 'Super' had the line "Keep your hoes in check."

So, was 'Hoecakes' on the early edits of the album? I can't remember.

I'm biased but

It's Us - Non Phixion

Get on the Mic and the remix are 2 of my all time faves.

I gave up on Nas after a while, Illmatic was incredible, The follow up was under par with only a couple of stand out tracks and the last Nas album I bought was the one with "Hate Me Now" but again I was underwhelmed. Thief's Theme was good but I just think meh too much dross to plow through. Anyone wanna recommend his good tracks.

Try these:

Nas - Poison (Stillmatic)

Nas - Doo Rags (The Lost Tapes)

Nas - Blaze a 50 (The Lost Tapes)

Nas - My Country (Stillmatic)

Nas - Affirmative Action (It Was Written)

Nas - One Mic (Stillmatic)

Nas - Get Down (God's Son)

Nas - Dance (God's Son)

Nas - Nas Is Like (I Am)

Nas - Got Yourself a Gun (Stillmatic)

Nas - Calm Down

Nas - Tang

The last two are tracks I found by random downloading, not sure what albums they're from. Hate Me Now was off of 'I Am' which as Calashnikov said, was probably his worst album. I can send you the last two via Soul Seek if you can't get a hold of them.

If you liked 'Illmatic', you'll like 'The Lost Tapes.' I also quite liked 'It Was Written' his second CD, but you summed it up quite well. After 'The Lost Tapes' try 'Stillmatic.'

Real late night tired thought of randomness:

My Top 3 DJ Premier productions.

1. Above The Clouds - Gang Starr feat. Inspectah Deck

2. The 6th Sense - Common

3. Rock Stars - Non Phixion

Feel free to dis/cuss :)

It's Us - Non Phixion

I just checked the production credits on the album and this one was actually produced by the equally legendary Large Professor rather than Pete Rock. Dope-ass ill shit, though.

Pete Rock's track on 'The Future Is Now' is actually 'If You Got Love.' Nice wee tune, too, but not really one of Pete's best. It's a decent beat.

I just checked the production credits on the album and this one was actually produced by the equally legendary Large Professor rather than Pete Rock. Dope-ass ill shit, though.

Pete Rock's track on 'The Future Is Now' is actually 'If You Got Love.' Nice wee tune, too, but not really one of Pete's best. It's a decent beat.

doh.jpg

Here's more info about the Stones Throw commemorative DVD thing:

B00030NVIA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's out Novemeber 16th. I've not heard anything about a Region 2 release :lol:

VIDEOS

Madvillain - Rhinestone Cowboy (new)

Jaylib - McNasty Filth

Madlib - Slim's Return

Madvillain - All Caps

Quasimoto - Come On Feet

Lootpack - Whenimondamic

Wildchild - Wonder Years

Breakestra - Getcho Soul Togetha

Dudley Perkins - Money

Gary Wilson - Linda Wants To Be Alone (new)

Koushik - One In A Day (new)

Rasco feat. Planet Asia - Take It Back Home

Charizma & PB Wolf - Red Light, Green Light

Kazi - A.V.E.R.A.G.E.

Quasimoto - Good Morning Sunshine

BONUS FEATURES

MF DOOM, Madlib, PB Wolf, Egon, J Rocc segment on Canada's MuchMusic TV during the Madvillain tour.

Jaylib's live debut at the Jazz Cafe, London, 2004, including Madlib & Mos Def after-hours jam session.

PB Wolf Interview, 1999

Charizma & PB Wolf live on TV's Home Turf, San Francisco, 1992

LA Carnival documentary - Tracking down the lost funk band

Madvillain - The All Caps blueprint

Quasimoto - Behind the scenes for Come On Feet

Dooley O - Headbangers Ball video

Stark Reality - Previously unseen live TV performance, from TV's Say Brother, Boston, 1968

BONUS MIX CD BY PEANUT BUTTER WOLF

"STONES THROW 101":

A non-stop mix covering the first 100 releases from 1996 to 2004. 40+ tracks, 70 mins.

Charizma-My World Premiere (practice)

MED-In Rhymes We Trust (instrumental)

Quasimoto-Dinosaur Brain Beat

Dudley Perkins-Falling

Koushik-Be With

Madvillain-Accordion

Yesterdays New Quintet-Little Girl

MED-Right Now Real

Madlib-6 Variations of In The Rain

Quasimoto-Chippin'

Oh No feat. Dudley Perkins-Green Tree

Stark Reality-Dreams/Comrades (mix)

Jaylib-Champion Sound

Percee P-Untitled

Jaylib feat. Talib Kweli-Raw Shit (Remix)

Wildchild-Kiana

Oh No-I Can't Help Myself

MED-Bang Ya Head (instrumental)

Quasimoto-Good Morning Sunshine

Jaylib-Blaze Up (previously unreleased)

Madvillain-Figaro (remix)

Malik Flavors-Interlude

J. Rocc-Play This One

Co-Real Artists-What About You

Cut Chemist-Bunky's Pick

Egon-Six Pack of Time/Runnin’ Wild

DJ Rels-Sunrise

MED-Listen To This

Oh No-I'm Here

Jaylib-The Mission (remix)

Gary Wilson-She Makes Me Think Of Endicott

Madvillain-Eye (Koushik remix)

Homeliss Derilex-Fraudulent

Lootpack feat. God's Gift-Episode 2

Stezo-Gangsta Groove

Rasco-Unassisted

Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf-Talk About A Girl

C$Money & DJ Chase-Ladies Can I Have Your Attention

Lootpack-B-Boy Theme

Dooley O-Headbanger's Ball

Breakestra-Showbiz

LA Carnival-Blind Man/Color (mix)

Funkaho-Space Slut

Peanut Butter Wolf feat. Planet Asia-In Your Area

Joe McDuphrey Experience-Parallel Worlds

Just wanna say

R.I.P. Mr Bongo :lol:

Went to the closing day on Saturday. Jehst, Yungun, Verb-T, Kashmere etc put on a little show. A great note to end on.

Just wanna say

R.I.P. Mr Bongo :lol:

Went to the closing day on Saturday. Jehst, Yungun, Verb-T, Kashmere etc put on a little show. A great note to end on.

Why has Mr Bongo closed down Das?

Why has Mr Bongo closed down Das?

Lease ran out and they couldn't be bothered to renew it as far as I know. I'm sure there are more reasons, the fact that the main guys who worked in Bongo's (Tom, Huw and Kam) their producing careers are starting to take off so I guess they're concentrating on that. A real shame, bes trecord shop in the country, I just hope they open a new one to cater for the underground heads. Scenario, Deal Real etc are around but not the same :lol:

Just a quick update on my Nike thing, if anyones interested they're playing my 80's hip hop/electro mixtape at an exhibition for the new Nike trainers at Size in Carnaby Street for the next couple of weeks.

I'll try and get it put somewhere for download soon, J5 fans should definitely check it for a few insights into where they nicked their sound from :lol:

I'd love to hear your Nike thing too, esar. Sounded great. Hook a brother up, yo!

Speaking of Nike, some of you will no doubt be interested to hear that The RZA has produced various short tracks for a series of TV ads for Nike Basketball. The actual ads are a mixture of martial arts, anime and blaxploitation. You can check them out (courtesy of a natty wee Flash pagoda "Game of Death" style game thing) here. Once it loads up, check out every floor of the pagoda and eventually you'll get a wee snippet of each ad. The beats are classic RZA.

Yeah, that is sick! Do you know who laced the beat?

Anyway...how y'all doing?

Looks like some good things coming our way this month...If I can find the dead presidents I'll be picking up MM Food, VV2, the Wu live thing and the Stones Throw DVD for starters.

Maybe the Nas thing too...I haven't bothered getting a Nas album since the shite one after Illmatic.

Want to hear that Inja album from the Cambridge crew too. Was hoping to make it to Rawganics tomorrow for Pete Rock & Evil Ed but I'm off back to Swansea as my grandfather's in hospital :(

Happy birthday Mr Heath!

RIP Bongo's...that's a big shame. Similar tings happening in Bristol...Imperial Records recently closed...and we're still mourning the Hip Hop central that was Backyard.

Peace.

@Calashnikov:

Been checking out some of that Pete Rock stuff you recommended. Sounds promising, though I need more time. Big thumbs up to the Gang Starr track though, its definitely the stand-out track of them all for me so far.

@David Heath:

20, eh? Happy birthday bud.

@Boozy the Clown:

Finally got the Q-Unique CD through the post. I've only heard the tracks you posted last month so I'm really looking forward to listening to it properly. I ordered with Play.com and they've only just fulfilled my order! 'Twas only £9.99 I suppose. I was going to order from Rapandsoulmailorder.com, and get 'The Art of Dying' while I was at it, but they don't seem to stock either. I've got Goretex's debut on order from an Amazon.co.uk marketplace seller now anyway.

Hello

Ive got a friend coming down to visit me Friday night and we would like to go out to a hip hop night of some sort. I live in London, so anywhere in London would be fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? i.e. a club that plays good hip hop music or a live act would be great.

Thanks!

Hello

Ive got a friend coming down to visit me Friday night and we would like to go out to a hip hop night of some sort. I live in London, so anywhere in London would be fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? i.e. a club that plays good hip hop music or a live act would be great.

Thanks!

THE GETDOWN EVERY FRIDAY @ BAR RUMBA

36 SHAFETESBURY AVENUE, LONDON, W1

HIP HOP, R’N’B, AND BASHMENT.

ECLECTIC BREAKS RESIDENTS SHARMA, SNIPS, MAURICE, BLAKEY, ITS AND WHUT SUPPLY THE TUNES

MCS: APHLETIK (BEST HIP HOP NEW COMER DEISEL-U-MUSIC AWARDS) AND K-LOC

CONTACT NO: 02083401887

WWW.ECLECTICBREAKS.COM

SHARMA@ECLECTICBREAKS.COM

PARTY VIBES ALL NIGHT LONG DELIVERED TO YOU LIVE ON FOUR DECKS! WATCH OUT FOR SETS BY THE 2004 UK DMC SCRATCH CHAMPION DJ BLAKEY.

5TH NOVEMBER EB ‘THE BUMP’ SINGLE LAUNCH PARTY FEAT J APHLETIK

FOR CONCESSIONARY GUEST LIST EMAIL SHARMA@ECLECTICBREAKS.COM

DOORS: 9PM-4AM. £6 BEFORE 11PM £8 AFTER.

I've never been but its meant to be a really good night.