IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Court of Owls. Like the art, except for Bruce who looks too young and a bit odd. Rest is gorgeous. Cool story so far, although the bit where pages suddenly flip sideways and upside down threw me, especially as I’m reading on iPad and no matter which way I turned it, the page rotated :lol:

On 24/02/2022 at 23:18, Butters said:

Is there any kind of alternative to Comixology? 

I've not played about with it too much, but my early impressions of the new app are not good in the slightest. 

There isn't an alternative. Comixology was really it, the only one stop shop for digital comics from every publisher. I suspect that the current hands-on Amazon leadership doesn't think there's anything to "fix" - they did exactly what they set out to do and that's making digital comics a Kindle thing instead of having its own separate app. Mission accomplished, the handful of angry nerds on social and a few lost sales were calculated acceptable losses. They'll continue to improve Kindle of course but I suspect there won't be any drastic changes because they don't see that drastic changes are needed. My pessimistic take.

Anyway, for now the Marvel Comics app is still exactly the same as old Comixology. Dark Horse and others publishers have their own acceptable-but-not-great apps. Google Play Books is okay-ish.

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

So, @Mr. Gerbik how you enjoying the new Cates Hulk 😬

It's different from Immortal Hulk. Takes some getting used to. Immortal Hulk explored the psychological depths of the character continued from the fantastic stories by Peter David and Paul Jenkins. This is more a mindless blockbuster kind of ride. Big stuff happens because it's big and cool, but there's barely a story driving it. Fantastic art though.

Surprisingly, most of my like-minded Hulk mutuals seem to be really enjoying it. Fair enough. I'm trying to make a conscious effort to appreciate it for what it is and set the ridiculous expectations from Immortal Hulk aside.

I’ve just taken delivery of Immortal Hulk volume 11 (Apocrypha) which is about twice as thick as all the previous volumes. It’s all the tie-in stories and crossovers with other series that happened during the IH run but which Al Ewing rightly insisted on keeping out of his main storyline. As such I don’t expect to completely follow all of it as I haven’t read any of the other comics it connects to, but they’re all written by Al so I’m expecting them to be pretty good nevertheless. And from a quick flick through it looks gorgeous, there are lots of different artists with totally different styles and lots of panels and whole pages that are either lifted directly from 60s/70s Hulk comics or drawn very deliberately in that style. I’m happy with it already and I haven’t read a word of it yet.

Picked up the first couple of IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles collections and they’re great. I like the (slightly) reimagined origin story, I like the artwork (especially when Sophie Campbell takes over) and, come on; it’s the turtles. It’s great. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Picked up the first couple of IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles collections and they’re great. I like the (slightly) reimagined origin story, I like the artwork (especially when Sophie Campbell takes over) and, come on; it’s the turtles. It’s great. 

oh man oh man, you’re in for a treat I still get the monthlies for that.

does that have the mini series in too? 

if not make sure you get “history of the footclan”

14 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

oh man oh man, you’re in for a treat I still get the monthlies for that.

does that have the mini series in too? 

if not make sure you get “history of the footclan”

Yes it includes everything from miniseries and annuals, I believe. It puts them in chronological order, or publisher’s preferred order (although I don’t know what order they were in before) 

But yes, almost finished book 1 and enjoyed it. Not so sure about the reincarnation stuff, mind, but otherwise all good 👍 

13 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

God it’s been so long ago since I read it I couldn’t even tell you the artist on it. 

is it Hine or Kubert someone like that? 

does that volume contain Batman & Son and Batman RIP? 

The artist on the Club of Heroes arc was JH Williams III.

It's been a long time since I read it, but I do remember struggling to follow a few aspects of that story - even though the panels were presented in a much cleaner, less busy way than his work on Promethea and Sandman: Overture.

Just finished Compendium One of Saga, I know issue 55 is out but I won't be reading the singles, I'll probably pick up the tpb when that's available, though I've really enjoyed reading it in this fucking massive format.

I'd hate to have been you guys that had to wait so long for it to continue though! 

3 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

oh snap, didn't know there was a second Kill Lock series. Out today :D

STL218343.jpg

Never heard of it but that cover looks like the guy that did those three good Transformers' series Primacy etc etc

Has anyone read Saga? I know it’s meant to be good but the writing and everything is all very crude for the sake of it, like it was written by a 13 year old. 

Stuff like the main characters having sex and the woman saying “please shoot that up my twat”, or one character telling another he hopes she gets breast cancer etc. just really cringey stuff trying to be edgy. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Has anyone read Saga? I know it’s meant to be good but the writing and everything is all very crude for the sake of it, like it was written by a 13 year old. 

Stuff like the main characters having sex and the woman saying “please shoot that up my twat”, or one character telling another he hopes she gets breast cancer etc. just really cringey stuff trying to be edgy. 

Saga is awesome, the crude language doesn’t bother me in the slightest and it’s just a very enjoyable comic to read.

57 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

Saga is awesome, the crude language doesn’t bother me in the slightest and it’s just a very enjoyable comic to read.

Good to know and will persevere. Crude language doesn’t bother me usually, but it seems a bit try-hard, here. 

Speaking of Saga there is a great Humble Bundle on at the moment with loads of Saga, Monstress, and other good stuff. If anyone has not read Saga it's a steal.

11 hours ago, SuperFamiTom said:

Saga definitely is great and worth persevering with but I do completely agree with what you’re saying about the writing. It doesn’t get any better as it goes along either. 

It's a great comic and I do agree with the comments about the writing. It does tend bit crude for its own good. Visually too quite often. It is a very good story though.

10 hours ago, NickC said:

Speaking of Saga there is a great Humble Bundle on at the moment with loads of Saga, Monstress, and other good stuff. If anyone has not read Saga it's a steal.

I already own most of this bundle but for those who don't get it. So much good stuff. Paper Girls and Monstress especially (I love the art in Monstress)

Just a heads up in case anyone else ordered but my Absolute Swamp thing Vol 3 is on its way from Amazon. Pre ordered last July and it was £64 not as much as a bargain as the £44 I paid for vol 2. 

Very excited for it to arrive.