The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Inferno 4 is out today & we are now at the end of the Hickman era at Marvel. You can almost feel the last few pages have been rewritten to somewhat maintain the status quo as it felt like it was leading to a ballsier ending. 

This has been a good mini-series, but outside of Hickmans books on the new Krakoa era I think only Hellions & early Mauraders really stand up as being decent. The whole line had so much potential to start with & rarely delivered on its early promise, I do fear for it a bit now that hes fully gone with the crap thats currently on shelves.

I think theres rumours of Ewing & Gillen taking over some titles, so hopefully things might improve.

Yeah I can see Marvel doing what they did to Morrison to Hickman's run.

Anyway, read Ed Brubaker's Lowlife, a semi(?)-autobiographical comic that portrayed his misspent youth, focusing on drugs, petty theft and general fucked-up-edness. Really interesting read. 

4 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Inferno 4 is out today & we are now at the end of the Hickman era at Marvel. You can almost feel the last few pages have been rewritten to somewhat maintain the status quo as it felt like it was leading to a ballsier ending. 

That was pretty dire.

I know exactly what you mean, once the last "fight" was over everything else in the issue felt out of place and just put together strangely.  I can imagine Marvel reading the initial ending and just going "nah" and Hickman having to re-write it all last minute to fit the narrative for the books going forward. 

I can assume the big push will be to get the books flowing ready for this summer's "X-Men VS Avengers VS Eternals" or whatever shite name they'll eventually go with. 

I think i'm done with The X-Men for a while between this and "Captain Krakoa" and i'll just ride out the couple of Marvel books I have still going before going back over to DC or trying something else. 

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

DC people: can I read Last Knight On Earth without reading anything before it? Does it stand alone?

Its a fun read if forgettable, nice artwork as always by Capullo.

Batman: White Knight would be a better read if you can read that instead for a standalone title.

10 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Its a fun read if forgettable, nice artwork as always by Capullo.

Batman: White Knight would be a better read if you can read that instead for a standalone title.

I’d sack them both off and get:-

wonderwoman : dead earth

out of those choices. 

I love that the current backup strip in DC's number one selling comic (Batman) is a lovely story about Mia (Maps) from Gotham Academy trying to solve a series of murders. Most of the readers will probably never have heard of her and I'm pleased that someone in DC likes the character enough to feature her in such a high profile way.

I think I need to reread Gotham Academy now.

On 06/01/2022 at 04:25, Arn X Treme said:

I’d sack them both off and get:-

wonderwoman : dead earth

out of those choices. 

Have you read Johnson's recent Beta ray Bill series? I heard it was really good, and I loved his art on Dead Earth so I plan to get it (although In Stock Trades are sold out so meh).

15 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Have you read Johnson's recent Beta ray Bill series? I heard it was really good, and I loved his art on Dead Earth so I plan to get it (although In Stock Trades are sold out so meh).

I read the first issue and didnt get on with it but will get the trade when its cheap on comixology. 

I would recommend Murder Falcon if you've not already read it :)

On 11/01/2022 at 21:42, Arn X Treme said:

I read the first issue and didnt get on with it but will get the trade when its cheap on comixology. 

Same here the series didn't gel with me, Murder Falcon is something else and special though.

On 28/12/2021 at 01:15, SaintAnselm said:

It’s fucking amazing, like 99% of Brubaker’s work.

I’d like to say thanks for this. It pushed me into buying the bundle and having read all but one of the runs, it’s some of the best things I’ve ever read.

On 12/01/2022 at 06:42, Arn X Treme said:

https://imagecomics.com/read/murder-falcon

Fucking A. I am so buying this collection in May. Also, @moosegrinder, I think this might be up your street as well.

1 hour ago, DC said:

I’d like to say thanks for this. It pushed me into buying the bundle and having read all but one of the runs, it’s some of the best things I’ve ever read.

If you can find it, I would highly recommend reading Gotham Central, Brubaker wrote it with Greg Rucka and it’s probably my favourite comic of all time and definitely my favourite DC one.