Jump to content
IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics


biglime
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 31/12/2021 at 15:12, Peter St John said:

Marvel finally pushing the boat out for a Miracleman omnibus, eh?

 

(hopefully uncensored…)

Marvel doing their version of Doomsday Clock then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doomsday Clock was a real piece of shit series, but it’s one saving grace was at least it had great artwork by Gary Frank. I don’t think Marvel have any good in-house artists left, so it’s possible they could amazingly make a book even worse than Doomsday Clock at this point. I’m imagining something by Jason Aaron.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Doomsday Clock was a real piece of shit series, but it’s one saving grace was at least it had great artwork by Gary Frank. I don’t think Marvel have any good in-house artists left, so it’s possible they could amazingly make a book even worse than Doomsday Clock at this point. I’m imagining something by Jason Aaron.

The guy who draws Daredevil is an incredibly good artist, and Patrick Gleeson is really good too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Flub said:

I use Comixology, Marvel U and for CBR/Z files I use Yacreader which has a very nice companion Windows app.

 

Thanks, that’s helpful. Yacreader was also suggested as the first ios alternative when I did a quick Google. Definitely tempted to make the move now!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see there's a Rorschach comic out in hardback. I don't hold out any great hope for it, but some of the Before Watchmen stuff was not bad (even though most of it was pretty pointless). Has anyone read it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Doomsday Clock was a real piece of shit series, but it’s one saving grace was at least it had great artwork by Gary Frank. I don’t think Marvel have any good in-house artists left, so it’s possible they could amazingly make a book even worse than Doomsday Clock at this point. I’m imagining something by Jason Aaron.

There's plenty of amazing Marvel artist you look, Greg Land is the absolutely greatest of all time😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

The guy who draws Daredevil is an incredibly good artist, and Patrick Gleeson is really good too.

Pepe Larraz the X-men artist is amazing, the stuff he puts on the pages is gorgeous.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, K said:

I see there's a Rorschach comic out in hardback. I don't hold out any great hope for it, but some of the Before Watchmen stuff was not bad (even though most of it was pretty pointless). Has anyone read it? 

Its Tom King, it can go either way depending on you're taste. I feel you may dislike this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

Its Tom King, it can go either way depending on you're taste. I feel you may dislike this.


Never read any Tom King - what kind of writer is he? Who is he most like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, K said:


Never read any Tom King - what kind of writer is he? Who is he most like?

Very much in character deconstruction, meta-commentary, dark comedy, somewhat depressing and very upsetting stories or series. The problem is he basically writes the same voice, opinions, and mannerisms (his own) and inserts them into every character, regardless of how they’ve been historically written.

 

Rorschach was another attempt at the exploration in PTSD (at least in part, which is clearly becoming King's shtick) and it felt like two stories glued together to me. SPOILERS ISH one story was the political one, and the other was the "what would be the consequences of PTSD and mental illness in a world where the squid attack of Watchmen happened". I get that that was what he wanted to explore, but the Watchmen universe is one that in my opinion is best served being left alone as is. Didn't love Before Watchmen, didn't love Doomsday Clock, didn't watch the show so I have no opinion on it. But generally speaking, I didn't think this book needed to take place in that universe. It felt like Tom King's gift to himself almost. This book could have been a sequel to Sheriff of Babylon in parts more so than a Watchmen book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SaintAnselm said:

Tom King has written some awesome comics, Vision and Mr Miracle are both modern classics but then he also wrote Heroes in Crisis, which is possibly the worst comic of recent years. 

That was bad, though his Batman run was equally divisive and one of the worst runs I read.

 

King also seems to have some tired tropes that he overuses to try to look and sound deep and intelligent like the prose, songs over entire issues, and throwing PTSD at almost every character he writes and making most of his characters talk like robots with lots of ''...'' in his dialogue, and at times his dialogue might steer into the cringy Bendis territory with the repetition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, yakumo said:

Very much in character deconstruction, meta-commentary, dark comedy, somewhat depressing and very upsetting stories or series. The problem is he basically writes the same voice, opinions, and mannerisms (his own) and inserts them into every character, regardless of how they’ve been historically written.

 

Rorschach was another attempt at the exploration in PTSD (at least in part, which is clearly becoming King's shtick) and it felt like two stories glued together to me. SPOILERS ISH one story was the political one, and the other was the "what would be the consequences of PTSD and mental illness in a world where the squid attack of Watchmen happened". I get that that was what he wanted to explore, but the Watchmen universe is one that in my opinion is best served being left alone as is. Didn't love Before Watchmen, didn't love Doomsday Clock, didn't watch the show so I have no opinion on it. But generally speaking, I didn't think this book needed to take place in that universe. It felt like Tom King's gift to himself almost. This book could have been a sequel to Sheriff of Babylon in parts more so than a Watchmen book.

 

That actually sounds alright, cautiously speaking. Might give one of his other comics a go - does Mr Miracle depend on you knowing the DC universe inside-out, or does it work as a standalone piece?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K said:

 

That actually sounds alright, cautiously speaking. Might give one of his other comics a go - does Mr Miracle depend on you knowing the DC universe inside-out, or does it work as a standalone piece?

Standalone piece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Rocafella said:

For those using iPads to read, what app(s) are you using? 

 

I was using Perfect Viewer on my old Android tablet, but debating whether to move to iPad now. 

 

I've got a ton of comics digitally from Humble Bundles, and I end up just reading them via whatever the default PDF viewer is on the iPad.  Sometimes I switch them into the Books app, but the differences are marginal.


Not interested in anything that zooms in on panels or otherwise views the page differently to how it was originally drawn (at least, not for comics that weren't drawn with such a system in mind, and most of the digital comics I've got are dead old).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/01/2022 at 14:07, Rocafella said:

For those using iPads to read, what app(s) are you using? 

 

I was using Perfect Viewer on my old Android tablet, but debating whether to move to iPad now. 

I use Chunky on my iPad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DC said:

I use Chunky on my iPad.

I have Chunky, but I might go back to Comicglass because the folder option is just better. What I mean is I have loads of Horror Comics in a folder, instead you have to scroll to get to the titles instead of just opening the folder and have them display.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/01/2022 at 14:07, Rocafella said:

For those using iPads to read, what app(s) are you using? 

 

I was using Perfect Viewer on my old Android tablet, but debating whether to move to iPad now. 

I'm an Android guy, but the jump from Perfect Viewer to say Chunky, Comicglass on Ipad is just night and day. For example everything is smooth, turning pages is just nicer. More importantly it handles two pages perfectly which was hit and miss with Android. I say if you can get an Ipad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rocafella said:

Thanks guys, that’s all really helpful. Yeah, think I’ll go iPad, especially if it’s a smoother experience when reading. 

 

 

I was  sceptical since the Ipads aren't cheap but its so much better. My only gripe is having to use Itunes to transfer files. Also try Comicglass as its similar to Perfect Viewer but much better. Chunky is the most popular though, the other big one I used was Comiczeal but haven't touched it for years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of the better iOS readers have many options for transferring files. Some have a built in webserver you can switch on. Most let you upload from cloud storage etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Flub said:

Most of the better iOS readers have many options for transferring files. Some have a built in webserver you can switch on. Most let you upload from cloud storage etc.

Yeah my wifi is rubbish, so its always transfer by USB I don't mind it since I have enough storage, but it be my only negative if I was pushed to think of something against it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.