The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

I have not thought of Land for ages since he swiped that guy's art for Marvel's first Aliens comic cover.

Now don't get me wrong i know even J Kirby loved a good trace back in the day but if i think of Land i always think of his Jessica Alba trace for Fantastic Four, just can't help it. That and his ghastly run on X-Men. 

Comics have been really shite for me of late, other than collecting Demon Days for the artwork and getting the odd Euro comic English translation I've dabbled on trying to find something new and just getting the first issue here or there. 

I can't think of anything i'm looking forward to reading besides Hulk and that's one and done.

Sad times.

23 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

I have not thought of Land for ages since he swiped that guy's art for Marvel's first Aliens comic cover.

Now don't get me wrong i know even J Kirby loved a good trace back in the day but if i think of Land i always think of his Jessica Alba trace for Fantastic Four, just can't help it. That and his ghastly run on X-Men. 

Comics have been really shite for me of late, other than collecting Demon Days for the artwork and getting the odd Euro comic English translation I've dabbled on trying to find something new and just getting the first issue here or there. 

I can't think of anything i'm looking forward to reading besides Hulk and that's one and done.

Sad times.

The House on the Lake someone mentioned has me interested, the artwork is gorgeous. But the only thing I was hyped for this year was Simon Hanselman's Crisis Zone which was fabulous, not everyone's cup of tea because its about a bunch of degenerates but by gawd is it something special. Besides from that I'm just been reading pre code horror comics, stuff like Black Cat. I mean how can you not read what is inside of this issue

299591_20140325192109_large.jpg?fit=400,

29 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Sad times.

Also talking about Land and Aliens, reading Aliens from Marvel is just painful because of Salvador Larroca artwork which is just stiff, traced, daz models.

11 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

Sad times.

I think I'm buying more comics than I ever have before at the moment, but nothing from the big american publishers, just loads of kickstarters of original, creator-owned comics.  There's more great stuff out there than I can afford to buy.

13 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

Sad times.

Have you tried Gamma Flight? It's Al Ewing doing more comic book logic thought experiments about gamma radiation with the supporting cast of Immortal Hulk. Good, solid stuff.

I've been reading comics on autopilot myself for a while to be honest. Just because I like the act of reading comics, I'll read very average stuff and let it wash over me. It's really just Marvel fluff but I have been enjoying Jane Foster: Valkyire leading in to Mighty Valkyries. The odd Hellboy / Mignola-verse thing here and there - although that hasn't approached the series' peak greatness since Into The Silent Sea and The Visitor, which are what? 5 or 6 years old at this point? There was a Hellboy one shot called Her Fatal Hour recently (again, what does recent mean? It could be a couple of years old...) which was very good, in the spirit of the old Wake The Devil era short stories. I'm just rambling about random Hellboy books now...

I read the first Star Wars Dr Aphra series which I thought at its best was very good so I've been picking my way through the Keiron Gillen Darth Vader series off the back of that, but again - enjoyable fluff.

On 09/09/2021 at 21:53, Arn X Treme said:

DC have been warming up a lot for me. Since Death Metal they've been going balls deep in the multiverse (Even now introducing Multiverse 2 which is apparently the dead universe that was the DC multiverse pre-crisis. Since eaten by the Gentry in a game of spot the obscure reference).

After decades of cock teasing and then pulling back they seem to finally have realised that this is what we want. They've even got out of continuity stories going without bein labelled elseworlds. Superman and the Authority is one.

On 11/09/2021 at 15:34, yakumo said:

Just read DC Nail, damn that was a good Elseworld story

I do like that one. 

My copy of Providence by Alan Moore compendium arrived today. 

Never read it and only some Lovecraft so going to make more of it,  by referring to the annotations and trying some Howard Phillip I haven't read at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I do like that one. 

Never read it and only some Lovecraft so going to make more of it,  by referring to the annotations and trying some Howard Phillip I haven't read at the same time. 

I really like "Providence" though, and I think that it is the best of the three works, especially for the Lovecraft fan. Lots of references to Lovecraft's stories, but they are naturally incorporated into the story as homages. In fact every issue is basically an homage to a different story, all held together by the central narrative of this ex-journalist who is touring New England as research for his book on the occult. Moore still occasionally uses nudity for shock value, but it's not as gratuitous or as incessant as in "Neonomicon," and I think it works for the most part. "Providence" is just really clever in general, and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who is a fan or Moore or Lovecraft.

3 hours ago, cassidy said:

I do like that one. 

Ah, is that the Kickstarter one? I had the email saying they were starting to ship them, but given how much they were urging patience I wasn't expecting to get mine for weeks if not months. But if yours has arrived, mine might come soon!

3 hours ago, yakumo said:

I really like "Providence" though, and I think that it is the best of the three works, especially for the Lovecraft fan. Lots of references to Lovecraft's stories, but they are naturally incorporated into the story as homages. In fact every issue is basically an homage to a different story, all held together by the central narrative of this ex-journalist who is touring New England as research for his book on the occult. Moore still occasionally uses nudity for shock value, but it's not as gratuitous or as incessant as in "Neonomicon," and I think it works for the most part. "Providence" is just really clever in general, and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who is a fan or Moore or Lovecraft.

Well that’s me sold

13 minutes ago, dug said:

Ah, is that the Kickstarter one? I had the email saying they were starting to ship them, but given how much they were urging patience I wasn't expecting to get mine for weeks if not months. But if yours has arrived, mine might come soon!

Nope I ordered it on Amazon Saturday. 

On 14/09/2021 at 16:41, yakumo said:

Got my copy of Providence on the way, I think.  What are 'the three works'?  This, Neonomicon and ...?

7 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Got my copy of Providence on the way, I think.  What are 'the three works'?  This, Neonomicon and ...?

Think it's The Courtyard, which was an adaptation of a prose story he wrote for some collection of Lovecraft inspired short stories. 

I really liked Providence. Seem to remember it got dissed a bit on here when it was being released. But there's a lot of depth to it.

44 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Think it's The Courtyard, which was an adaptation of a prose story he wrote for some collection of Lovecraft inspired short stories. 

I really liked Providence. Seem to remember it got dissed a bit on here when it was being released. But there's a lot of depth to it.

Nailed it.

Cheers.  I missed all this stuff as it came out during a period I wasn't buying comics.  Then Providence was out of print and insanely priced whenever I looked to buy it.  I actually have issue 2 of The Courtyard from when it first came out, from a random comic shop visit I guess, sat unread to this day as I don't have the rest.  Was waiting for this Providence re-issue for ages and have ordered it, along with Neonomicon.

I haven't read Neonomicon for a while, but I remember disliking it because it seemed to be an extreme version of the cliché that all of Alan Moore's stories involve his female characters being subjected to sexual assault. It's a slightly unfair accusation because I think the women in Moore's stories (for the most part) are really well-drawn characters who have their own inner lives, but once it's been pointed out, it's hard to avoid the fact that women tend to get raped a lot in his stories. And again, it's always handled in a sensitive, non-salacious way, and in stories like From Hell it would be hard to tell the story without confronting that particular issue, but with Neonomicon, I thought it was a bit unnecessary, and was quite unpleasant to read.

That said, I'm still keen to read Providence. Moore has a real knack for horror, so I'm interested to see him tackle something that's overtly genre horror.

On 16/09/2021 at 10:59, K said:

I haven't read Neonomicon for a while, but I remember disliking it because it seemed to be an extreme version of the cliché that all of Alan Moore's stories involve his female characters being subjected to sexual assault. It's a slightly unfair accusation because I think the women in Moore's stories (for the most part) are really well-drawn characters who have their own inner lives, but once it's been pointed out, it's hard to avoid the fact that women tend to get raped a lot in his stories. And again, it's always handled in a sensitive, non-salacious way, and in stories like From Hell it would be hard to tell the story without confronting that particular issue, but with Neonomicon, I thought it was a bit unnecessary, and was quite unpleasant to read.

That said, I'm still keen to read Providence. Moore has a real knack for horror, so I'm interested to see him tackle something that's overtly genre horror.

I despised Neonomicon, The only Lovecraftian elements were the theme itself. Everything is a little over the top and devoid of subtlety, including the adding of Rape which plays to the chance that Moore only added it for 'shock' value.

15 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

It looks like they are going to be losing the island and everything, so this will be another reboot.

It's a shame as some of it start really well then got derailed by X Of Swords and never really recovered. 

I thought Hickman left because they (Marvel) didn't want to lose the island? I'm sure I read that Hickman wanted a resolution and Marvel shied away as the writers are still getting plenty of mileage out of it.

9 minutes ago, Scruff said:

I thought Hickman left because they (Marvel) didn't want to lose the island? I'm sure I read that Hickman wanted a resolution and Marvel shied away as the writers are still getting plenty of mileage out of it.

I'll see if I can find the article for you. 

From how I understand it, Inferno is going to shake up and dissolve the council of x, leading into problems with the "mutant utopia".

I'll be honest I won't be picking up Inferno and well have to see what the weekly series next year brings, but I loved Hickman's House Of X and had really high hopes for everything, but you can see it coming apart at the seems in the things like The Trial Of Magneto. 

2 hours ago, yakumo said:

I despised Neonomicon, The only Lovecraftian elements were the theme itself. Everything is a little over the top and devoid of subtlety, including the adding of Rape which plays to the chance that Moore only added it for 'shock' value.

Well, Neonomicon and Providence both came today (along with a third book I didn't even know about before I saw it for sale), so I'll be able to have an opinion on this in when I manage to read it all.

Read Neonomicon last week (it contains issue 1 & 2 of The Courtyard and issues 1 -4 of Neonomicon). I thought it was really good. I was expecting something awful from a couple of the comments above, so was pleasantly surprised.  I mean, it was horrible in the 'horror' sense, but I thought it worked really well as a story and a comic.  Surprised how much I liked Jacen Burrows art. Flicking through, I didn't really like the look of it, but when actually reading the comic it worked perfectly.

Settled down to start Providence last night.  The blurb on the back seemed like a bit much, talking it up as something amazing, even describing it as 'The Watchmen of horror'. This wasn't a review quote, but the publisher's blurb.  Put me off a bit, to be honest.

Anyway, I only read the first chapter, but wow, that was a great comic.  One of those where I had to go back and re-read pages about three times as later details shed light on earlier pages, and then the text section at the end turned a load of it on it's head.  Maybe the blurb was justified?

Pretty exciting news for UK comics.  An actual new kids comic launching in April, in newsagents too (and subscription).  I'm quite excited by this.

For the youngsters out there, Monster Fun was an IPC comic in the 70s and (maybe also the early 80s and even the 60s, not sure?), so the title has some nostalgia value for those of us of a certain age.

On 21/09/2021 at 08:00, Pistol said:

Good luck to it! My youngest gets the Phoenix, hopefully the market’s there for more good kids’ comics.

Looking at the state of kids comics is so sad, I remember there was a glut and wide range of comics from Eagle, Big Comic Fortnightly, Pocket Library comics to the usual suspects like Beano and Dandy. Anyway Monster was a great read, think it was around during the 80s but not sure, as I could have got them from the local charity shop at Junior School.

Anyway Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – The Last Ronin #4 is out, probably the only thing I grab this week.