The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

My son turns four in a couple of weeks and I'd like to get him an all-in-one mini-series that we can read over maybe four or five sittings for his bed time.

9781302928476_front.jpg

I had this once upon a time*, and it was great. So something precisely in this format would be grand.

Spiderman, Avengers, TMNT or Batman - does anyone have any recs? Cheers!

*€11 for this one. I might buy it again!

My friend also recommended Young Justice.

However I went with this:

image.png.22b00c5aee2b25e27883eb227404fc05.png

I think this spans 11 volumes, so that makes future gift ideas a bit easier.

This will be his first comic book.

On 18/08/2021 at 15:47, moosegrinder said:

Potential dumb question: are the paperback versions of the Alan Moore Saga of the Swamp thing trades the same as the hard back? I'd like to get the last 3 but the hardbacks are proper expensive now it seems.

Not sure but there have been a few different editions of the paperbacks over the years, with some of them mixing in some of the crossover storylines from Hellblazer, and some of the other Swamp Thing writers like Rick Veitch, so it can be a bit hit and miss what you are getting with Swamp Thing collections. 

On 18/08/2021 at 15:47, moosegrinder said:

Potential dumb question: are the paperback versions of the Alan Moore Saga of the Swamp thing trades the same as the hard back? I'd like to get the last 3 but the hardbacks are proper expensive now it seems.

You know the Absolute Editions exist and they are lovely. 

17 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Not sure but there have been a few different editions of the paperbacks over the years, with some of them mixing in some of the crossover storylines from Hellblazer, and some of the other Swamp Thing writers like Rick Veitch, so it can be a bit hit and miss what you are getting with Swamp Thing collections. 

17 hours ago, cassidy said:

You know the Absolute Editions exist and they are lovely. 

I wanted 4-6 physical as I have the first 3 physical. I'm slowly moving over to entirely digital once I've finished this, Transmetropolitan and Invincible but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just start now. Space is limited for more comics so the super monster Absolutes are out (and seem to cost a fortune anyway?). 

I've got two different publications of Alan Moores Swamp Thing @moosegrinder

I've got 1-3 in these covers205150098_51RG18DXV1L._SX310_BO1204203200_.jpg.4943af8948d2f122c8a11a2e6119723c.jpg

And then volume 4 with this cover as they no longer print the above ones

81DdMOYs3OL.thumb.jpg.1149308735397e5c6375efca21152bca.jpg

I'm told by my comic stores there's no difference and it's just a cover change to refresh things.

Looks like Jonathan Hickman is gone from the X-Men books after the Inferno mini-series. From reading around he seems to be annoyed that Marvel didn't want to move the story along from its initial conception. Kinda annoyed at this as after the initial HOX stuff a lot of it has been treading water & I've been buying books in the hope they were going somewhere within the bigger picture. Outside the main X-Men title (before its relaunch) I cant think of many comics that are still worth reading - Hellions maybe? X-Force & New Mutants both started strong but very quickly dropped in quality, while the rest of them were never that good to start with.

I guess the lasting memory of this whole thing for me can be summed up in the shambles that was X of Swords - a lot of hype that ultimately just dragged on then fizzled out into nothing.

I liked the start of the run which was full of big mad Hickman ideas but it soon went into standard 'trick me into buying a load of other shittier x-books' mode. No thanks m8!

Maybe this Substack thing will be cool as balls. I hope so, I hope they all get riiiiich.

In other news, Wonder Woman Black White and Gold has some really good stories and loads of lovely art. 

I do like the current status quo for the mutants. Becoming a world power and bizarrely a death cult. I can see why Marvel would see it as being popular enough to keep going longer rather than move into Hickman's endgame. I mean it's the Immortal Hulk problem. When people really, really enjoy what you're doing how do you follow it? Does anyone really want to see the X-Men go back to their decades long old status quo? Because that's likely the plan when the current Krakoa story runs its course.

X-Factor has been cancelled hasn't it? Fuck people not buying X-Factor

I found another really nice romance manga. A sign of affection. Four volumes so far. It's about a deaf girl in college who falls for a male student who travels a lot and loves to learn new languages. It focuses a lot on Japanese sign language. One volume down and I like it so far.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/A-Sign-of-Affection-Vol-1/digital-comic/852819

Yuki's a hearing-impaired college student whose path crosses with Itsuomi, an upperclassman from her school. Against all expectations, Itsuomi doesn't bat an eye at her condition, treating her more normally than she's ever felt in her life, and she begins to fall in love with him. Resolving to be strong and face that love head-on, Yuki hopes to get to know him better... but that's easier said than done!

Major Comixology changes coming this year. Including the removal of the Comixology store front and it's replacement being on the main Amazon site. If you haven't merged your Comixology account with Amazon yet now would be a good time to do it

https://www.comicsbeat.com/comixology-announces-new-app-furthur-integration-with-amazon/

Also note that for quite a while it was often cheaper to buy a lot of comics direct on Amazon and read them in the Comixology app

Not sure how I feel about that. I've already got my accounts merged, but I prefer Comixology being separate at this stage. Not keen at all on the storefront shown there. 

It'd be nice if this meant those outwith the US could access the Kindle Unlimited content via a Prime subscription.

I really hope the filtering and sorting they are talking about extends to your library. I've got all my books on Kindle separated into categories, but you can't really do any of that in a bespoke manner on Comixology.

I see more and more graphic novelists talking about Substack, and releasing things through that. I've never used it, but I always thought it was just a newsletter platform?

Al Ewing severs all ties with Joe Bennett:

Writer Al Ewing has publicly severed his relationship with Immortal Hulk artist Joe Bennett over a 2017 illustration Ewing called "reprehensible."

The Immortal Hulk scribe didn't link to the illustration by Bennett, though Ewing did describe what takes place. "An armoured swordsman, which I assume represents Bolsonaro given Joe's commentary, slaughtering tiny, scurrying people, with the buck teeth and ears of rats," Ewing wrote. "And big noses. One of them is cosplaying Dracula." Ewing also called out the anti-Semitic caricatures in the art, which has an undeniable political agenda. "I'm assuming these are political enemies of some kind, but even if not, the tropes are apparent," he said. "Human beings as vermin being exterminated. Even if it's no longer up, that it was drawn in the first place, signed, and so proudly displayed by Joe speaks volumes."

Ewing stated this isn't the first time he's been made aware of issues with Bennett, a reference to the controversy that flared up when a panel was published in Immortal Hulk #43 that included anti-Semitic imagery. At the time, Bennett expressed remorse over the artwork, calling it "wrong, offensive, and hurtful in many ways," though he also claimed it was "an honest but terrible mistake."

The writer said he's spoken to Marvel behind the scenes, though he recognizes "that's no comfort to people at the sharp end of this kind of brutal propaganda." To show his commitment to an apology, Ewing shared screenshots of donations he made to Rainbow Railroad and the Rainforest Trust. The Rainbow Railroad donation was in the sum of $2575 US dollars, with the Rainforest Trust donation totaling 2000 UK pounds. He ended his Twitter thread by stating he will not be working with Bennett again.

Good on him for speaking out. Ewing is one of the good ones. I wish we could hire someone to redraw all of Immortal Hulk. In terms of writing it's one of the best comic runs ever, never mind one of the best Hulk runs. But now it will forever be tainted by its association with a racist asshat. 

Depressing fact: despite knowing all of this, Marvel has just triumphantly revealed that Bennett is one of the superstar artists headlining their next big event. I forget what it is because I really dislike those big events, but anyway - the point is that I'm surprised Marvel chose not to sever ties with Bennett but double down instead. He's not even that good, I mean he's decent but there are many artists of a similar level. He's definitely not irreplaceable, but tbh even he was the best artist that ever lived it's just not on keeping him working on comics that are supposed to be against everything that asshat stands for.

Just because Bennett is an asshole doesn’t change the fact that Hulk had fantastic art, in fact close to the best artists in the history of the character. Regardless of his views I’m not sure I’d ever want the artwork changed. A great book is still a great book. 

Its always worth remembering that Steve Ditko seemed like a real prick IRL, but without social media the majority of views aren’t in the public eye so he can still get lauded for his great work in Spidey, Strange etc.

Anyone give Dark Ages a try? I really liked the first issue and will do all six.

Always up for some "What If?"

Had no idea who the big bad was or where this fits in with anything else but it has a decent story and some great art.

On 03/09/2021 at 17:03, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Just because Bennett is an asshole doesn’t change the fact that Hulk had fantastic art, in fact close to the best artists in the history of the character. Regardless of his views I’m not sure I’d ever want the artwork changed. A great book is still a great book. 

Its always worth remembering that Steve Ditko seemed like a real prick IRL, but without social media the majority of views aren’t in the public eye so he can still get lauded for his great work in Spidey, Strange etc.

He's no where near the top if we're talking about top artist for the Hulk. Ignoring his politics aside, his work shines when he does horror. I find his rendering, draftsman serviceable but he's not top tier. Just look at this panel for example

milgrom.jpg

The way he contours the lines on the face, how he renders clothes, to the backgrounds and panelling  is just above average. I'm not saying he's not talented because his monster stuff is great. However, to put him on the same pedestal as Jeff Purves, Mcfarlane, Keown I just can't see it. Of course art is subjective at the end of the day but for me it helps that the story is so damn good.

On 04/09/2021 at 13:50, Arn X Treme said:

Anyone give Dark Ages a try? I really liked the first issue and will do all six.

Always up for some "What If?"

Had no idea who the big bad was or where this fits in with anything else but it has a decent story and some great art.

Haven't tried it yet, thought it was some big cross over.

Anyway reading Spider-man still?

Good. But I can't help but think if Ewing hadn't spoken up they would've happily continued to ignore the controversy surrounding this guy.

47 minutes ago, yakumo said:

He's no where near the top if we're talking about top artist for the Hulk. Ignoring his politics aside, his work shines when he does horror. I find his rendering, draftsman serviceable but he's not top tier. Just look at this panel for example

milgrom.jpg

The way he contours the lines on the face, how he renders clothes, to the backgrounds and panelling  is just above average. I'm not saying he's not talented because his monster stuff is great. However, to put him on the same pedestal as Jeff Purves, Mcfarlane, Keown I just can't see it. Of course art is subjective at the end of the day but for me it helps that the story is so damn good.

I liked Bennett's art before all this came to light - now I'm having difficulty separating art from the artist - but as far as top tier Hulk artists go I would put Dale Keown, Adam Kubert, Gary Frank, Sal Buscema, Ron Garney and Lee Weeks above him. And Kyle Hotz is an artist who could do Hulk horror as well as Bennett.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Good. But I can't help but think if Ewing hadn't spoken up they would've happily continued to ignore the controversy surrounding this guy.

I liked Bennett's art before all this came to light - now I'm having difficulty separating art from the artist - but as far as top tier Hulk artists go I would put Dale Keown, Adam Kubert, Gary Frank, Sal Buscema, Ron Garney and Lee Weeks above him. And Kyle Hotz is an artist who could do Hulk horror as well as Bennett.

Yeah its hard to separate the art from the artist, but I still enjoy Frank Miller's work despite him post 9/11 producing some ghastly work with most notably Holy Terror. But glad he's getting better now with help from Neal Adams.

Good call on Kyle Hotz, I love to see  Kelley Jones though his style would be marmite to some nowadays. But yeah it was the right call for him to go, he can now join and be best friends with EVS and his fellow comic gators losers.