Jump to content

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics


biglime
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, cassidy said:

@Mr. Gerbik

 

Yes I was aware and can see why it didn't work as a Hulk comic. It's very very dark. 

 

That's the thing. It *did* work as a Hulk comic. It became issue 312 and Mantlo allegedly put his name on it. BWS then took his concept for a single issue/one shot, changed it around, and took a few decades to work it into the epic you just read. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So not a lot of decent stuff about at the moment, which is why this is dying out again.

 

Gamma Flight 2 was a good read, but I had the reveal spoilt last month by the solicits for issue 4 and onward. I don't think there's enough pull with the characters and story for me to carry on reading if I'm honest, and it makes me nervous for his Venom run even though the new Venom has such little backstory to cover. 

 

I gave Superman & The Authority a go and almost instantly got reminded of how Morrison can be such a hack at writing! Man Black was pretty much written as John Constantine mixed with Morrison's early creation Kid Omega, and he just seems boring as fuck... I'll do all four issues because I need something to read, but this won't be winning and wide praise. 

 

I think the only thing I really look forward to is TMNT Last Ronin but the scheduling is mad on the book even though it is so great. Three issues so far and all have been top notch. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/07/2021 at 13:31, Arn X Treme said:

I gave Superman & The Authority a go and almost instantly got reminded of how Morrison can be such a hack at writing! Man Black was pretty much written as John Constantine mixed with Morrison's early creation Kid Omega, and he just seems boring as fuck... I'll do all four issues because I need something to read, but this won't be winning and wide praise. 

 

I thought I'd give this a go since it was short and Morrison. It's okay but, I'm not much of a DC reader these days ... why is Superman depowered? Are there some books I should be reading first?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I thought I'd give this a go since it was short and Morrison. It's okay but, I'm not much of a DC reader these days ... why is Superman depowered? Are there some books I should be reading first?

No idea. 
 

It read to be like a Future State or Elseworlds.

 

or even the Prime Superman. 

 

However I noticed that his Son is in costume and on the cover of a couple of upcoming issues of the main books. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'd heard the son was taking over too so assumed it was the proper Superman. Guess I'll have to read the synopses of a few other books to see, as Google isn't helping. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/07/2021 at 13:31, Arn X Treme said:

 

 

I think the only thing I really look forward to is TMNT Last Ronin but the scheduling is mad on the book even though it is so great. Three issues so far and all have been top notch. 

 

Yeah Last Ronin is so good, wish it had a regular schedule though like you said.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/07/2021 at 13:02, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Did anyone read Season 2 of Morrison's run on Green Lantern? It reads like the pages are out of order or it's meant to be manga style right to left or something. Total gibberrish.

Art is quite fun though. Very 2000AD

I find the art atricious, its Liam Sharp and I have fond memories of him reading Battletide, Death's Head but not huge fan of the 2000AD style. Everything just looks muddy, dark and ugly. Personal preference I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I find the art atricious, its Liam Sharp and I have fond memories of him reading Battletide, Death's Head but not huge fan of the 2000AD style. Everything just looks muddy, dark and ugly. Personal preference I know.

I love how comic art is so subjective and everyone has artists they really just don’t like,  personally I really find JimLee the most overrated comic artist of all-time and because of his style, most 90’s comics are ugly as hell and often really hard to read.

 

But then I really love JrJr, and his Spider-Man is my fav of all-time, though I realise I am pretty alone with this opinion, but that’s what makes the appreciation of art so much fun to discuss and argue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

Yeah, I'd heard the son was taking over too so assumed it was the proper Superman. Guess I'll have to read the synopses of a few other books to see, as Google isn't helping. 

https://www.cbr.com/old-superman-and-the-authority-costume-changes/
 

I didn’t pick up on it being “that” Superman!

 

And this seems to confirm it’s an elseworlds. 
 

https://www.cbr.com/superman-the-authority-powers-weakening/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

I love how comic art is so subjective and everyone has artists they really just don’t like,  personally I really find JimLee the most overrated comic artist of all-time and because of his style, most 90’s comics are ugly as hell and often really hard to read.

 

But then I really love JrJr, and his Spider-Man is my fav of all-time, though I realise I am pretty alone with this opinion, but that’s what makes the appreciation of art so much fun to discuss and argue.

I actually do like Liam Sharp's work, but not a huge fan of the painted style. 

 

However, regarding Jim Lee, I used to adore him when I was younger in the 90s but now I'm older it isn't my cup of tea. However, really don't think he's overrated, his influence in comics cannot be understated. I think because of Jim Lee we had over a decade of clones which has made his work less special I feel. 

 

Also I love JrJr too, but I also really dig Sal Buscema who a lot of people feel is too pedestrian and dry, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sal Buscema's style is matter of taste (personally I've grown to love it more as I got older) but he's undoubtedly one of the best storytellers among superhero comic book artists.  

 

Imo flashy as Jim Lee & co might be (and I've grown to like those kinds of flashy styles less and less as I got older), they don't come anywhere near Sal in that regard. The final two pages of Spectacular Spider-Man 200 are legendary and writer JM DeMatteis explains their brilliance on his blog. I quote:

Quote

 

On the final two pages, Spidey accompanies Harry into an ambulance, they drive off and Harry passes away, leaving Peter Parker to his grief and memories. When the ambulance arrives at the hospital, it falls to Spider-Man to tell Mary Jane and Norman that Harry’s gone. They react, we cut to a photo of Peter and Harry in happier days...and the story ends. The sequence was small, quiet, but, on an emotional level, it was massive.

 

Quote

I did everything I could to communicate the power of those last pages to Sal in the plot—along with my thoughts on how the sequence would be handled in the final script. My intention was to verbally milk the pages for all they were worth, wringing out every last drop of emotion; going big and melodramatic via captions, inner monologues from Peter or dialogue between the characters. (Another benefit of "Marvel style": I didn't have to decide then, I could make up my mind when the art was done.)

 

Then Sal’s pages came in: It was one of his finest hours. The panel to panel flow was cinematic and crystal clear, the characters dramatic and achingly human. And those final two pages? Perfection! At first—locked into my original vision—I began writing captions and dialogue for the end-sequence, but it quickly became clear that everything I wanted to say had already been said, and better, by Sal. It was all there in the pictures. He had translated my plot so expertly that words would have capsized the sequence and destroyed the emotional power of the moment. So I shut my big mouth and let Harry Osborn die in silence, with his best friend by his side

 

ChildWithin_08-671x1024.thumb.jpg.d58f2163dbe9338b97f45ea8b9251618.jpg

 

sd2tyb.thumb.jpg.20b5b140dcab89b663fb2a50ded57ea3.jpg

 

No words. And even out of context it flows perfect, it tells more story in these 2 pages than the average 90s Image comic in 6 issues, and the impact is tremendous, the emotions palpable. All without words. A masterful comic book artist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even at the time, I thought that that DeMatteis/Buscema run was fantastic and significantly better than the increasingly melodramatic bollocks going on in Amazing Spider-Man. Don't get me wrong, I loved the initial part of Micheline's run but the clone saga and Carnage was a travesty. I will grudgingly admit that bringing back Norman Osborne as the architect of Peter's woes was kind of genius, even if it did put the final nail in the coffin [ahem] that death meant anything in the Marvel universe.

 

That DeMatteis/Buscema deserves its own omnibus far more than the stuff Marvel is intent on collecting right now, but I suspect the demand simply isn't there which is a crying shame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill Sienkiewicz teams up with Sal shortly after that Harry death story & they were such a great pairing on that book for a year, especially amongst other the other shit D-grade artists Marvel flew through the spider books after McFarlane & Larsen had left. Definitely one of the best Spider-Man art teams of all time & sadly a style you just don't see any more now there is an over reliance on digital colouring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to distract from the lovely Buscema talk. Look what I just nabbed in a lovely little comic shop in Glastonbury.

 

I now own a book signed by my favourite artist Brian Bolland. And if your in the vicinity they also had signed Killing Jokes and art of Judge Dredd books. 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG-20210728-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20210728-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20210728-WA0011.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 21:30, Mr. Gerbik said:

Sal Buscema's style is matter of taste (personally I've grown to love it more as I got older) but he's undoubtedly one of the best storytellers among superhero comic book artists.  

 

Imo flashy as Jim Lee & co might be (and I've grown to like those kinds of flashy styles less and less as I got older), they don't come anywhere near Sal in that regard. The final two pages of Spectacular Spider-Man 200 are legendary and writer JM DeMatteis explains their brilliance on his blog. I quote:

 

 

ChildWithin_08-671x1024.thumb.jpg.d58f2163dbe9338b97f45ea8b9251618.jpg

 

sd2tyb.thumb.jpg.20b5b140dcab89b663fb2a50ded57ea3.jpg

 

No words. And even out of context it flows perfect, it tells more story in these 2 pages than the average 90s Image comic in 6 issues, and the impact is tremendous, the emotions palpable. All without words. A masterful comic book artist.

Pretty much a perfect summary, its why I love Sal's works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

While we're talking Dredd!

 

The new Humble Bundle

 

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/judge-dredd-perps-punks-partners-2000ad-books

 

Over £500s worth of books for £18.04 at time of writing!!

 

Some good stuff there such as 1-4 volumes of Zenith and some Kingdom and other goodness. 

 

I admit the only Dredd I read is all the Judge Death stuff,  tempting but I do prefer to read physically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last issue of 2000AD I read was prog 669 which was the start of the Kraken as Dredd bit, but my actual readership prior to that is patchy to say the least.

 

I have catching up to do…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Any Dredd written by John Wagner (which is most of the stuff in this bundle) is always worth reading.

Did he write Burger Wars, have fond memories of that if so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

 

Actually no, I think that was Pat Mills, the creator of 2000ad and its first editor. 

I'm sadly more familiar with Wagner's Batman run than his Dredd. Think I need to correct this. Also I was surprised he actually wrote the History of Violence too, great book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just read Immortal Hulk 49 and man, Ewing is totally going to stick the landing isn't he?

 

 

10 long weeks to wait for the conclusion in Immortal Hulk 50 :( (80-page finale though so definitely worth the wait)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've just read Immortal Hulk 49 and man, Ewing is totally going to stick the landing isn't he?

 

 

10 long weeks to wait for the conclusion in Immortal Hulk 50 :( (80-page finale though so definitely worth the wait)

I really liked the style for the issue. 

 

Be interesting to see how this all wraps up with no Hulk solicits in the upcoming months makes me wonder how it will all end. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone else remember The Trigan Empire?

 

If you do then get yourself down to your LCS as the whole thing has been released in GN form by Rebellion. If you don’t then still get yourself down to your LCS and buy it post haste. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whole thing hasn't been released yet. They've just released volume 3, and seem to be putting out one new volume a year.  There will be at least 5 volumes, maybe more, so you've got at least two more years to wait before you can buy the lot.

 

I don't remember it as I never read Look and Learn as a kid, so the whole thing is a revelation to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Flub said:

Today is a good day. Komi Can't Communicate vol 14 is out

 

And we get ever closer to the release of the Anime which is where I shall be joining in on the fun.

 

FCBD this weekend, and although the 2000AD one is always a must get, I don't feel the need to make a journey especially for it. Seems like a week couple of days for comics too, especially with TMNT TLR being pushed back again to the end of September. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.