The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Anybody read the new Hulk Time of Monsters one-shot? Asking as I've got a credit in it for some consulting I did with the author on sacrificial rituals and theories. I'm kinda biased but it's a real banger that takes the Hulk into some proper horror territory.

3 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Anybody read the new Hulk Time of Monsters one-shot? Asking as I've got a credit in it for some consulting I did with the author on sacrificial rituals and theories. I'm kinda biased but it's a real banger that takes the Hulk into some proper horror territory.

I haven't gotten around to posting much about comics but yeah, it's a fantastic and also fantastically horrific story. Beautiful art too. Well done on being a part of that!

To anyone who hasn't checked it yet: highly recommended!

32 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

That means a lot coming from a long time Hulk fan such as yourself @Mr. Gerbik (at least I think I've remembered correctly that you are?)

Yes, you remembered correctly! Fell in love with the character when I was 7, still head over heels at age 43. Buying omnibuses like a madman and enjoying the best damn Hulk story ever made in Immortal Hulk. To me it's incredible that you're part of that. This is a storyline that will be talked about decades to come. Assuming Ewing sticks the landing, it will be way up there with Moore's Swamp Thing and the like. And YOU are part of that. Part of comic book history. :)

3 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Oh wow,  how did you get involved in that?

Cheers guys :) @Mr. GerbikIt's the Alex Paknadel one that I was involved in (the Jordanian origin one) with the proper body horror effects of the Hulk reforming. @DelargeyAs a lot of these things, it was chance and serendipity. I know Alex from our PhD days and he was familiar with my research on theories of sacrifice so got in touch when he first got the idea for this story. Super proud of the end result (and that's all on him) and it's a nice little geek moment for me.

43 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Cheers guys :) @Mr. GerbikIt's the Alex Paknadel one that I was involved in (the Jordanian origin one) with the proper body horror effects of the Hulk reforming

Yes, and that's what I meant. This one shot is part of the Immortal Hulk run - it establishes the first appearance of the green door. That's why I said you're part of it :)

26 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes, and that's what I meant. This one shot is part of the Immortal Hulk run - it establishes the first appearance of the green door. That's why I said you're part of it :)

I realised that after posting :) Just didn't want to overegg my contribution :) 

On 27/05/2021 at 10:05, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I saw this. Not that I’ve read ANY of the bundles I’ve bought but what does this require to read? Do they have their own app or similar? I looked the other day but couldn’t see anything on that page, specifically.

Also, is Rogue Trooper good?

Well I missed getting a copy of volume 2. So I’ll have an opinion in 3yrs time when they finally decide to reprint it. 

But my overriding opinion after volume 1 is. 

it’s not as good as his X Factor run. 

Fuck. I'd completely forgotten that this was due out. I'd better get mine ordered now before it sells out. Oddly enough, the variant cover is also by Frank so I have no idea which one to go for (assuming I have a choice in the matter) but I think the cover you picked is the better of the two so I'll see if I can get that one too. By the way, what's that Dogs of War omnibus next to the other Peter David omnibuses?

EDIT: InStockTrades still had the third Hulk omnibus but they also had new stock of the Romita variant cover for Uncanny X-Men omnibus 4, so now I've managed to acquire the variant editions for all of the Uncanny X-Men omnibuses so far - woo! Thank you kindly @Mr. Gerbikfor the unintentional reminder. :D

3 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Fuck. I'd completely forgotten that this was due out. I'd better get mine ordered now before it sells out. Oddly enough, the variant cover is also by Frank so I have no idea which one to go for (assuming I have a choice in the matter) but I think the cover you picked is the better of the two so I'll see if I can get that one too. By the way, what's that Dogs of War omnibus next to the other Peter David omnibuses?

EDIT: InStockTrades still had the third Hulk omnibus but they also had new stock of the Romita variant cover for Uncanny X-Men omnibus 4, so now I've managed to acquire the variant editions for all of the Uncanny X-Men omnibuses so far - woo! Thank you kindly @Mr. Gerbikfor the unintentional reminder. :D

Ha, glad I could help! 

The Dogs of War Omnibus collects the entire Paul Jenkins run. He was the first writer after Peter David left to pick up on the MPD/DID angle and his run introduced us to Devil Hulk - who later became known as Immortal Hulk.

9 hours ago, cassidy said:

Well I missed getting a copy of volume 2. So I’ll have an opinion in 3yrs time when they finally decide to reprint it. 

But my overriding opinion after volume 1 is. 

it’s not as good as his X Factor run. 

I found it a bit of a slog to read tbh, I will get the rest of the run in Epic Collections as I also missed out on volume 2 of the omnibus, which by the way is getting a restock soon.

Speaking of Hulk, the next writer to take over once Ewing leaves is Donny Cates, whose recent Venom run has been really solid for the most part.  Al Ewing is basically swapping with Cates as he is going to be writing Venom next.

I always thought Venom was a really stupid character - mainly due to his ridiculous and extremely contrived character motivation that could be resolved in two panels of dialogue by any half decent writer - but I'm always interested in whatever Ewing writes. So I'm actually going to read Venom. Man, never saw that one coming.

I like Cates.

Some of his stuff has been solid and I'm always grateful for Cosmic Ghostrider. 

But I can't see his Hulk run coming up to par after this current run. 

Is Ewing writing Gamma Flight? 

43 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Is Ewing writing Gamma Flight? 

Yes, featuring the exact same team as you see now in the Immortal Hulk comics. In a sense that makes it the follow-up to Immortal Hulk.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes, featuring the exact same team as you see now in the Immortal Hulk comics. In a sense that makes it the follow-up to Immortal Hulk.

Added to the pull list then :)

Cheers dude.

What did you think to #47 btw?

Oh I might have accidentally ordered yet another Hulk Omnibus :ph34r: The World War Hulk phat n thicc Omnibus was suddenly available new on Amazon NL down from 125 to 95 euros. It's about the size of that Dogs of War omni mentioned earlier.

We'll see if there's any reaction from Missus Gerbik when the second massive Hulk omni arrives in one week

Loving it :D

On 03/06/2021 at 08:27, Mr. Gerbik said:

I always thought Venom was a really stupid character - mainly due to his ridiculous and extremely contrived character motivation that could be resolved in two panels of dialogue by any half decent writer - but I'm always interested in whatever Ewing writes. So I'm actually going to read Venom. Man, never saw that one coming.

I'm pretty sure they resolved it after his second or third encounter with Spider-Man 30 years ago.

21 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

I'm pretty sure they resolved it after his second or third encounter with Spider-Man 30 years ago.

Well, now you know how long I haven't paid any attention to the character!

In related news, because he's taking over Hulk I started reading the Cates Venom run. And you know what? It's excellent! Like really, really good. I'm probably the last to discover this aren't I?

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Between Immortal Hulk, Zdarsky Daredevil, and Cates Venom, Marvel has been really killing it in terms of next level high quality superhero storytelling, haven't they?

Those are definitely the best current Marvel titles, I am also enjoying The Union and Black Widow as well, the only Marvel book I don’t read at the moment is The Avengers by Jason Aaron as that’s just really terrible.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Well, now you know how long I haven't paid any attention to the character!

In related news, because he's taking over Hulk I started reading the Cates Venom run. And you know what? It's excellent! Like really, really good. I'm probably the last to discover this aren't I?

It kinda shits the bed with the closing crossover sadly, but the build up to it is great.

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Between Ewing's Immortal Hulk, Zdarsky's Daredevil, and Cates' Venom, Marvel has been really killing it in terms of next level high quality superhero storytelling, haven't they?

I think Marvel have otherwise have really gone backwards, and Hulk and Daredevil are the only good books I'm still reading. And even then, they nearly killed off Daredevil for me with the last crossover. 

(but I guess I'm off to read Venom now)