The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

I'm living in Japan (apologies if that's already a given - I really don't want to be thought of as an equivalent of our friend in Canada) and I've been basically slacking on language study for about five years now so need to pull my finger out.

It was always my aim to be good enough to pass the N1 Japanese Language Profiency Test and be comfortable reading Japanese newspapers, as those are pretty much the hardest thing you can read in daily life, short of a university level science textbook that requires very specific domain knowledge (and kanji too!).

I started off like everyone else does with manga, except like you I started with SF manga like Knights of Sidonia which was a bit brutal and I gave up. I can imagine that Alita and Appleseed would be hard as nails as there's random robot/tech stuff being discussed on top of the SF worldbuilding going on.

Right now, I'm reading Yotsuba &! (which can still be hard because all of Yotsuba's dialogue is written all in hiragana so you have to look at it for a while to work out where the individual words are, something that kanji makes a lot easier. Once you can read enough characters that is) and Komi Can't Communicate, and @Flubtalking about Witch Hat Atelier has got me looking at that too. Might be do-able because it's set at school, albeit one for magic users. The dream is to be able to reading things like Monster, 20th Century Boys and Akira in Japanese. One day....

Were you studying Japanese at one point then?

First off, don't worry - our Canadian friend is very much unique and you're definitely not that! :)

Thanks for the reply man! That's really interesting because, yes I've studied Japanese way back when I was a young Gerbik still. Lived there for awhile too. I still have my haul from back then:

Spoiler

20210416_155845.thumb.jpg.71d4149419dd0f6b1d55a244d73c4683.jpg

Those are just a few of course, I was hitting those secondhand honya hard. Each Alita was like 200 yen or something! Impenetrable for me though, they're strictly for da collection. I read the English versions.

I really, really miss Japan and want to go back there someday. Until then I use the Yakuza games for nostalgic tourism :)

35 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

First off, don't worry - our Canadian friend is very much unique and you're definitely not that! :)

Thanks for the reply man! That's really interesting because, yes I've studied Japanese way back when I was a young Gerbik still. Lived there for awhile too. I still have my haul from back then:

Reveal hidden contents

20210416_155845.thumb.jpg.71d4149419dd0f6b1d55a244d73c4683.jpg

Those are just a few of course, I was hitting those secondhand honya hard. Each Alita was like 200 yen or something! Impenetrable for me though, they're strictly for da collection. I read the English versions.

I really, really miss Japan and want to go back there someday. Until then I use the Yakuza games for nostalgic tourism :)

Nice. Oh god, that reminds me. I bought one of the Blade of the Immortal books in 2007 and it was utterly inpenetrable, and this was for someone who had read most of the story up to that volume in English. I guess that goes on the list with Akira, Monster (and Alita, although just the first series. I was less than impressed with Last Order, and not just because it went on *forever* with no real story development, just endless fights).

Well, when things settle down and you make it out here, hit me up and we can go for a drink at an izakaya, have some quality food and talk about comics. :)

1 minute ago, Talvalin said:

Well, when things settle down and you make it out here, hit me up and we can go for a drink at an izakaya, have some quality food and talk about comics. :)

I'd love to! In English though because after so many decades my Japanese is of a "I can talk about the weather and explain I'm a student from abroad and that's it"- level :lol:

Whereabouts are you by the way? I lived near Fukuoka but often visited Nagasaki and also Tokyo a few times. Never made it to Kyoto which is major regret.

I agree with you about Alita btw. Last Order ia disappointing compared to the genius original. I recently reread Last Order from start to finish and it was more fun than I remembered, but still nowhere near his older work

I remember sitting there with a paper Kanii dictionary and a denjiten with a touchscreen and still couldn't make sense of Alita, Appleseed, or Blade of the Immortal. I settled for watching Anpanman cartoons in the morning, those were doable lol.

For anyone who never ventures into the manga thread: I often mention Blade of the Immortal as one of the most beautifully drawn comics ever. 

I don't normally do this so early but I just read the first chapter of a new mango on the Shonen Jump app. Witch Watch.

Boy with the strength of an Ogre has a friend training to be a witch. Eventually she goes away to a fantasy place to complete her training. Then one day years later while he's at high school his dad tells him

1. She's coming back

2. You're going to be her familiar (Apparently he's from a race descended from familiars and this is part of a magical contract.)

3. The two of them are going to live together alone in a house

So far so manga. Twist time. There's a prophecy that in the next year Nico (the witch) will face disaster and he has to stop it. Both sets of parents have set this up in order to protect Nico.

Nice art, nice characters and so far a decent plot starting up. Will report back after reading more chapters. First impressions are very positive

Ok. Five chapters in and I'm hooked. I'm cautious about the direction given that it's from Shonen Jump but so far there's been a couple of minor asskickings and a whole lot of my favourite subject in a mango. "Nice".

If you have the Shonen Jump sub (AND WHY DON'T YOU) have a read.

Also Candy Flurry. Only one chapter up so far but it's gloriously earnest and incredibly stupid. It'll be interesting to see where it goes

image.png

Also on the Shonen Jump app is The Emperor and I. Girl finds an emperor penguin in her fridge and he moves in. Full colour which looks great.

emperor.jpg

Easiest job ever for whoever gets to voice Komi

*Edit* Actually I hope they're able to convey a lot of what Komi is going through using an internal monologue during situations. That will let the voice actor they choose use her full range and be an addition to the various expressions Komi pulls.

I recently received a code for a digital copy of Hellboy Short Stories: Volume 1 as part of a Kickstarter, but I already have it. Would anyone like the code? It has to be used on the Dark Horse digital store (so no good for Comixology).

Massive Star Wars sale over at ComiXology at the moment. The best bargains are from the Legends days, with up to 95% off, but there are some good bargains in Canon too.

I’m bagging the Omnibus editions (not on Marvel Unlimited) which usually go for about twenty quid and are now mostly 79p. :omg:

9 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Massive Star Wars sale over at ComiXology at the moment. The best bargains are from the Legends days, with up to 95% off, but there are some good bargains in Canon too.

I’m bagging the Omnibus editions (not on Marvel Unlimited) which usually go for about twenty quid and are now mostly 79p. :omg:

Those Omnibus editions have some great stuff in them.

If anyone wants to give some new stuff a try you can read the first volumes of most of the new Marvel series for free at Amazon Prime Reading providing you are subscribed to Prime. 

The classic marvel Star Wars omnibus editions are great too. They start off with a New Hope and then rapidly diverge into their own unique stories, coming back around every now and again for the subsequent two movies. I have very fond memories of reading them off the newstand when I was a nipper. (Back when nobody knew what Jabba looked like so Marvel made it up)

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Star-Wars-Omnibus-A-Long-Time-Ago-Vol-1/digital-comic/166057

4 hours ago, Flub said:

The classic marvel Star Wars omnibus editions are great too. They start off with a New Hope and then rapidly diverge into their own unique stories, coming back around every now and again for the subsequent two movies. I have very fond memories of reading them off the newstand when I was a nipper. (Back when nobody knew what Jabba looked like so Marvel made it up)

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Star-Wars-Omnibus-A-Long-Time-Ago-Vol-1/digital-comic/166057

I’ve added all the othe Omnibus editions to the cart now.

There’s also the confusingly similarly named Classic Star Wars series, which comprises Russ Manning’s newspaper strips from the 70’s through to the 80’s and reprinted in these collections during the 90’s. Comes in four jumbo volumes and well worth a punt!

https://m.comixology.co.uk/Classic-Star-Wars-Early-Adventures/digital-comic/165947

I totally recommend the Crimson Empire collection too, which collects Crimson Empire I, II and III, along with some other stuff. Read it recently, and at 79p is mind-boggling value.

Not got much of a clue about the other things I’ve bought other than good reviews. But also taken a gamble on Shadows of the Empire, Dark Empire, Heir to the Empire, Purge and Legacy.

Dark Empire is great, and could have been used as the basis for an excellent follow-up trilogy to the original films instead of the dire prequels but there you go. Such is life.

On 12/04/2021 at 11:02, Ste Pickford said:

I've been getting into reading comics digitally since I got an iPad at Christmas.

I'd previously bought tons of comics from various Humble Bundles over the years, so got such a backlog that I've not even considered looking for new stuff to read.  So far I've just downloaded them as PDFs and have been reading them via iBooks or whatever it is on the iPad that displays PDFs.  There are no fancy features for zooming in on individual panels, but not sure I'm missing anything there.  I've re-read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Locke and Key and now going through The Incal and onto other stuff in the Humanoids bundles, and found them all perfectly readable.

Try reading an issue of something on the Kindle app with panel-by-panel view active. You might just think "meh" or, like me and several other people I've spoken to, you might find it's an absolute gamechanger and you don't want to read comics any other way, ever again. 

Full-screen single panel artwork is just mind-blowing to me on a tablet with a decent screen. Depending on the original artwork of course but with something like Locke and Key it's great. 

Since I discovered it a few years back I've re-bought pretty much all my all-time favourite series just to experience them again in this format - L&K, Sandman, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, From Hell etc. Found so many new details in them that I missed even though I've read printed versions countless times. 

Remember to set the option so you get a view of the full page, after you've gone through it panel by panel, so you don't miss anything communicated in the full view (like a lot of Alan Moore stuff has). It doesn't do this by default I don't think. 

I recommend buying issue one of the Locke and Key/Sandman crossover, if you haven't got it already, if you want to give it a go with something you haven't experienced any other way before. 

Yeah, despite buying printed comics and graphic novels as an adult I’d rarely read them. Comics on a tablet though is just transformative. Coupled with the easy access, I now read more comics than I ever did even as a kid.

Really enjoyed the first 2 issues of Dead Dogs Bite, a comic about a girl trying to find her missing best friend. It's by the guy who drew 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank and has a similar humour to it. Lots of weird Twin Peaks small-town-America characters.

26 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Really enjoyed the first 2 issues of Dead Dogs Bite, a comic about a girl trying to find her missing best friend. It's by the guy who drew 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank and has a similar humour to it. Lots of weird Twin Peaks small-town-America characters.

Oh, man I'm going to have to dig out my copies of Four Kids Walk Into A Bank and re-read them. I'll check out Dead Dogs Bite too! 

What was the TV Show or Film that ripped off the first issue?

14 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Try reading an issue of something on the Kindle app with panel-by-panel view active. You might just think "meh" or, like me and several other people I've spoken to, you might find it's an absolute gamechanger and you don't want to read comics any other way, ever again. 

Full-screen single panel artwork is just mind-blowing to me on a tablet with a decent screen. Depending on the original artwork of course but with something like Locke and Key it's great. 

Since I discovered it a few years back I've re-bought pretty much all my all-time favourite series just to experience them again in this format - L&K, Sandman, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, From Hell etc. Found so many new details in them that I missed even though I've read printed versions countless times. 

Remember to set the option so you get a view of the full page, after you've gone through it panel by panel, so you don't miss anything communicated in the full view (like a lot of Alan Moore stuff has). It doesn't do this by default I don't think. 

I recommend buying issue one of the Locke and Key/Sandman crossover, if you haven't got it already, if you want to give it a go with something you haven't experienced any other way before. 

I'm slightly uncomfortable with the idea of it.  I think pages are a really important part of comics - one of the features of comics that have no analogies in movies, theatre, books, or other storytelling mediums - and worry that viewing a close up stream of panels, out of the context of their page layouts, is taking away something vital.

Agreed. The full page layout on first view is the most important thing in a lot of comics. A lot of artists will have constructed everything around it being read like this. I don't think I could ever do the panel view, nor would I want to, where some programs formula is cutting them all up. Thats just not what a comic strip is about for me.

4 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Agreed. The full page layout on first view is the most important thing in a lot of comics. A lot of artists will have constructed everything around it being read like this. I don't think I could ever do the panel view, nor would I want to, where some programs formula is cutting them all up. Thats just not what a comic strip is about for me.

I'm fully aware some people have this opinion and of course it's valid. Everyone enjoys comics their own way. But as I've said, you can still enjoy the full screen view alongside the panel view, if you configure it that way. So that shouldn't be a reason to put you off trying it. Also, and I appreciate this is just a minor point, but I don't think they are cut up by a formula. The reason I say this is that in several years of using it, I've never seen it get it wrong and present a panel out of order. It even copes with unconventional layouts like when you have a big picture taking up the whole page but smaller panels overlaid on it. So I'm pretty sure it's done manually and Amazon have a team of people reading comics and manually programming the navigation for each page. Might be wrong on that though. 

I completely understand the artistry that goes into creating a page, and that panel-view can detract from that. I still prefer it though on a day to day basis. For me, seeing the detail of each panel up close and transitioning to another adds a lot more than it takes away. I still zoom out to take in a pages layout sometimes though, and if it’s a favourite I’ll just buy the print version too.

Likewise, I still occasionally buy individual comics. There’s something unique about reading a tablet, comic and collected edition and they’re all distinct experiences.

Can anyone find a reputable retailer selling Vagabond Vizbig 11? I’ve purchased it three times now and all three times the order has mysteriously been cancelled and then appears later for a higher price. Hopefully the knobs of all involved don’t just rot off, for some unknown, incurable reason.

It remains the only volume that I don’t have.

EDIT: tried again from a retailer in the same country as that who just cancelled my order. Let’s see what happens.