The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

1 hour ago, Flub said:

cbr/z files? Not the Kindle app. Comics from the Kindle store then yes. Comixology comics need the comixology app.

Are you on iOS or Android? Yacreader and Chunky are good on iOS

I guess want I really mean is what's the best way to read comics digitally? I've not bought one for years, and when I did it was a hard copy version. I want to get back into them again but want to read them on my tablet. Can you only get certain series from certain services/apps?

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I guess want I really mean is what's the best way to read comics digitally? I've not bought one for years, and when I did it was a hard copy version. I want to get back into them again but want to read them on my tablet. Can you only get certain series from certain services/apps?

I would subscribe to Marvel unlimited if their comics interest you,

Comixology do the weeklies as well as the graphic novels etc. 

They do have some really good sales on from time to time too. 

If you buy something like the humble bundle mentioned above you can download the cbz or CBR files and read them through an app. 

What kind of thing is it your after? 

2 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Comixology do the weeklies as well as the graphic novels etc. 

They do have some really good sales on from time to time too. 

If you buy something like the humble bundle mentioned above you can download the cbz or CBR files and read them through an app. 

What kind of thing is it your after? 

I don't know, to be honest! I've not read much beyond a few of the staple graphic novels: Batman Begins, Arkham Asylum, Wafchmen, etc. I started reading Saga and bought the first few collections, but it started to get expensive. I wouldn't mind continuing with that. I've thought about making a 'What comics would you recommend?' thread, but thought I'd post here first. I'm not that into superheroes.

What's canon when it comes to comics?

You’ve come to the right thread as we all have similar and at points very unique tastes.

You’ve done some DC and Image indie with Saga. 

Ill have a look when I can and see what freebies are on comixoloy etc and see if we can wet your appetite.

Do you have Amazon Prime? 

3 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

You’ve come to the right thread as we all have similar and at points very unique tastes.

You’ve done some DC and Image indie with Saga. 

Ill have a look when I can and see what freebies are on comixoloy etc and see if we can wet your appetite.

Do you have Amazon Prime? 

Cheers :)

And yes, I do have Prime.

Just now, Jamie John said:

Cheers :)

And yes, I do have Prime.

Ok sweet when I get to work I’ll link you to Prime Reading as they have some graphic novels on there you can read via the kindle app.

it’s like a library you can have ten books at at time but can’t get another till you’ve return one back. 

great for graphics and manga. 

8 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

We should do a thread list of the best modern comic runs (and no, @Mr. Gerbik, you can't submit Immortal Hulk because it's not finished yet

5 issues to go till the big finale man! Not a long wait. If Ewing sticks the landing (and I'd be very surprised if if he didn't given literally every single issue so far) I'll submit my entry then. 

I've been getting into reading comics digitally since I got an iPad at Christmas.

I'd previously bought tons of comics from various Humble Bundles over the years, so got such a backlog that I've not even considered looking for new stuff to read.  So far I've just downloaded them as PDFs and have been reading them via iBooks or whatever it is on the iPad that displays PDFs.  There are no fancy features for zooming in on individual panels, but not sure I'm missing anything there.  I've re-read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Locke and Key and now going through The Incal and onto other stuff in the Humanoids bundles, and found them all perfectly readable.

I've been reading digitally for years now. Books included. My eyesight while correctable by glasses still makes reading physical media a strain (Due to the distance my eyes focus at) so having a 12.9 inch iPad pro for my comics has been a life saver. And with ebooks I can change the font size to whatever is comfortable. Every book can be large print now.

21 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Maybe separate this off into its own thread, @Talvalin? 'Rllmuk's favourite comics', or something?

Probably a better idea. We can discuss there and maybe round them all up afterwards.

Komi Can't Communicate (aka best comic) came out today and top tip. It's much cheaper on Amazon but syncs up with the Comixology version so you get both.

I just read the first volume of Witch Hat Atelier about Coco a girl who wants to learn to be a Witch. In a world where she is told you have to be born a witch. It has amazing art, a fun story and lovely character designs.

It introduces some peril at the end of the first volume but so far definitely fits my "NICE" category for mangoes.

comprar-atelier-of-witch-hat-vol-1.png

image.thumb.png.391892f7b1f7b720219c1fe31ad46523.png

5 hours ago, Talvalin said:

I've dipped into that series via the high seas, and the art is just gorgeous. I need to read more but maybe I'll just do the the right thing and buy a book. :)

I think you're quite lucky where you are for that. 

I am curious do, you see much English translated Manga over there at all?

It's available via Amazon and larger bookshops, but since it's been imported from the US it costs about 1.5-2 times the original price which is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Whilst I will continue to consume English media in its original language, I am endeavouring to read manga in Japanese as much as possible. I can cope with high school or slice-of-life stuff like Komi Can't Communicate (albeit having to look stuff up from time to time), but anything that features domain-specific knowledge or is genre-based (eg: SF or fantasy stuff) tends to sail right over my head.

I'll get there in the end, but I've been a lazy shite since getting here and my progress has been incredibly slow compared to other people who've moved here from abroad.

1 minute ago, Talvalin said:

It's available via Amazon and larger bookshops, but since it's been imported from the US it costs about 1.5-2 times the original price which is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Whilst I will continue to consume English media in its original language, I am endeavouring to read manga in Japanese as much as possible. I can cope with high school or slice-of-life stuff like Komi Can't Communicate (albeit having to look stuff up from time to time), but anything that features domain-specific knowledge or is genre-based (eg: SF or fantasy stuff) tends to sail right over my head.

I'll get there in the end, but I've been a lazy shite since getting here and my progress has been incredibly slow compared to other people who've moved here from abroad.

If you ever need anything posting over from here in the UK you know you only have to ask. 

I wouldn't knock yourself, it took me ages to get a good grasp of reading manga in French, and now it's been so long since I did it I really struggle. 

Cheers dude. I appreciate the offer. I am happy to return the favour if there is something that you desperately want from here and can't get in the UK. Mind you, postage is ridiculous but such is life.

Komi Can't Communicate (Aka Best comic) volume 12 was a triumph. Exams, a trip to the beach (And the possible start of a mild love triangle), another short interlude with Komi's parents as teenagers and the introduction of a new character. Elementary schoolgirl Rei staying with the Shokos. Komi has come along leaps and bounds. With her friends (And also Rei is seems) she can quietly speak short sentences. Art was on point and I noticed a few new variants to Komi's panic face.

Best comic.

I seem to have stalled on volume 6 for some reason (I think I was finding it harder to understand than other volumes), but your ongoing enthusiasm for the comic plus my previous enjoyment means that I need to get over this hurdle, perhaps with the aid of an English scanlation. I own up to book 10, but I think there's 17 or so volumes available over here, so I've got plenty to be getting on with.

At first I was wondering what you found hard to understand about a comic like Komi but then I remembered you're reading the Japanese version :)

@Talvalin may I ask why you're reading it in Japanese? For language study purposes? Whatever the reason, that's great. I tried reading Alita and fucking Appleseed (oh my lol) in Japanese back in the day and well that was the last time I tried doing that! 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@Talvalin may I ask why you're reading it in Japanese? For language study purposes? Whatever the reason, that's great. I tried reading Alita and fucking Appleseed (oh my lol) in Japanese back in the day and well that was the last time I tried doing that! 

I'm living in Japan (apologies if that's already a given - I really don't want to be thought of as an equivalent of our friend in Canada) and I've been basically slacking on language study for about five years now so need to pull my finger out.

It was always my aim to be good enough to pass the N1 Japanese Language Profiency Test and be comfortable reading Japanese newspapers, as those are pretty much the hardest thing you can read in daily life, short of a university level science textbook that requires very specific domain knowledge (and kanji too!).

I started off like everyone else does with manga, except like you I started with SF manga like Knights of Sidonia which was a bit brutal and I gave up. I can imagine that Alita and Appleseed would be hard as nails as there's random robot/tech stuff being discussed on top of the SF worldbuilding going on.

Right now, I'm reading Yotsuba &! (which can still be hard because all of Yotsuba's dialogue is written all in hiragana so you have to look at it for a while to work out where the individual words are, something that kanji makes a lot easier. Once you can read enough characters that is) and Komi Can't Communicate, and @Flubtalking about Witch Hat Atelier has got me looking at that too. Might be do-able because it's set at school, albeit one for magic users. The dream is to be able to reading things like Monster, 20th Century Boys and Akira in Japanese. One day....

Were you studying Japanese at one point then?