The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

2 hours ago, Flub said:

So I got past prog 900 in 2000ad and yet another Big Dave shambles appeared. It's one of the worst characters the comic has ever produced. It has zero redeeming qualities. It's openly racist, homophobic and sexist. It doesn't even try to be parodying. It's played straight.

So I thought. This time before I skip it I'll see which fuckers wrote it.

5iPUXJL.jpg

Fucks sake.

Not a shock mind is it.

Speaking of Grant Morrison. His season 2 of The Green Lantern is as 2000AD as it's possible for a DC comic to get. I have no idea what's going on and plan to reread when it's done.

I read an article on Bleeding Cool singing the praises of Commanders in Crisis so I decided to check out the first issue. Oh man. This is tickling my Grant Morrison Justice League buttons. It goes on the pull list.

The last survivors of the Multiverse live among us under new, superheroic identities, five survivors of doomed worlds...taking a second chance to ensure our world lives on. A new twist on strange superhero comics, with a bleeding-edge eye on the modern moment, COMMANDERS IN CRISIS follows in the footsteps of Doom Patrol and Thunderbolts as five unexpected heroes come together to solve a murder unlike any other. The victim? Compassion itself…This is ideacide! A new series by acclaimed writer STEVE ORLANDO (Wonder Woman, Doom Patrol: Milk Wars, Martian Manhunter) and artist DAVIDE TINTO (Marvel Action: Spider-Man), an intense, weird action thriller reminding us about the importance of compassion and hope in the present moment, and putting fists to faces along the way!

Vector 13 just started in my 2000ad run. A sign the Thargless times are nearly upon us. Vector 13 is basically Future Shocks hosted by two "men in black" and are universally dull and pointless. There have been a lot of badly written future shocks and I excuse those because at least they tried. Vector 13 is what you get when your Future Shock guys just give up.

The prog by this point has already gotten weird. It was heavily promoting the Stalone Dredd movie but thankfully it didn't really infect the stories. They're experimenting with video game tie ins (Something they would do far better much, much later). However you can see them making attempts to bring in new readers. Intro pages to every strip giving the basics is one of those neat ways to onboard people who hop on mid story.

No matter the bad it's still a time of some good stories. Slaine is doing his time travel. Dredd continues to Dredd most excellently. Finn has been a good solid ride (Not sure if there's any more of those coming). Friday eventually settled into a decent if not exceptional successor to Rogue Trooper and then they merged the two storylines in a fairly hamfisted way and mostly in favour of Friday. 

It's 1995 and I'm about to start Prog 958

I was browsing through my Humble Bundles and I realised I had 18 volumes of Domestic Girlfriend I hadn't read. No idea what this is about

image.png.9a14987ea78dc2f253f14277e4befbea.png

I see. Never say I won't give something a good honest try

Oddly enough there was a suppository gag in the South Park i watched last night, damn don't things come in threes?

Anyway i am on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles binge again after finishing off the original Mirage run albeit First Publishing graphic novel printings and a few very mint original copies i own, and it really is just fucking fantastic in every sense. 

I've started back reading IDW's run which just goes all in full throttle, but i noticed i was missing some of the mini-series most likely because I'd missed issues at the time and the fact i wouldn't piss on my local comic shop if it was on fire. 

One i hadn't read was Infestation 2:TMNT, I've started the first issue, and it's this kind of Cthulhu story that seems to be infecting the IDW Universe. It's got that usual tie-in silliness that the Mar Attacks IDW had where the TMNT are living in the sewers where all this Dunwich Horror shenanigans is going on. 

The art is ok it's a rip on Mike Mignola's Hellboy, but it fits the story it's telling well.

Spoiler

spacer.png

I'm going to carry on reading it, and if people want to hear my final thoughts on it let me know.

I'd love to know if that's worth picking up, as I'd be tempted to get it for the art alone. You're right in that it's a total Mignola rip-off, but if I can accept Bryan Hitch's existence with Alan Davis, then I think I'll be okay with it.

Not sure if I should be talking about Komi-san here or in the manga thread, but eh. I just finished book 3 where they all go to the beach, and I couldn't quite work out what happened when they were all trying to hold their breath for as long as possible. Did they all unintentionally all breathe out when they saw Komi-san's ridiculously cute expression as she held her breath or something?

My only niggles about the books so far are the slightly weird almost fan-service angles used for Nanjimi, which is faintly odd considering how the book portrays him (her?) as being androgynous without judgement (confusion, yes, but no judgement that I can see - even that time where Nanjimi is about to go and change into swimwear with the girls and gets hauled off by Tadano, it's revealed that Nanjini changes in a unisex toilet), and possibly Akari's ridiculous chest. But these are minor in the grand scheme of a wonderful series that is very wholesome and sweet.

I had planned to ration myself by only buying the next book once I'd finished the one I was reading, but I burned through book 3 a lot faster than I had anticipated and now I've got books 4-8 on the way. If I get through those just as quickly, then I'll just bite the bullet and buy the rest (up to book 19 in Japan).

tl;dr Komi-san Can't Communicate is one of the best manga series around, and the rest of you heathens should all go and read it now. :P

Too many OP, AoT and Berserk nerdlingers in that other thread I think. If you stuck facism and ultraviolence in Komi-san (maybe some bendy people and swords for good measure), then they'd be all over it like a shot. ;):hug:

Which now makes me wonder what a slice-of-life high school comedy would like if it were set in a far-future dystopia of some description....

Comics is comics, manga has its own thread because it's a big specific style of comics encompassing loads of genres and subgenres, but this thread is about comics in general so why not. No problem at all, like talking about Tintin also wouldn't be a problem here. "A thread for all comics"

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Given how much manga comes out every month it's surprising that thread doesn't do more business.

I think there are only a few of us that read stuff consistantly.

Most of my shonen stuff is monthly now and i dont imagine many people care about it, and my Manwha stuff don't seem to command the same interest. I have no issue with you posting about it here and I really enjoy reading it.

uh...

https://www.comicsbeat.com/superman-78-batman-89-digital-first-series-dc-comics/?amp&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR0VHwAEImmPzvLdK3zaf4Nm_lxPKwrxJTBOgGtZg46nVrroc82tgqPgB-w

DC Comics has announced Batman ’89 and Superman ’78, a pair of series which will continue the adventures of the iconic movie versions of the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight as portrayed, respectively, by Michael Keaton and Christopher Reeve. Each digital-first series will run for twelve chapters, with Superman ’78 by writer Robert Venditti and artist Wilfredo Torres, and Batman ’89 by original Batman screenwriter Sam Hamm and artist Joe Quinones. No colorists or letterers were named in the announcement.

Sam Hamm though...

Given that you haven't expressed an opinion there, I'm going to assume that you're not a fan of Hamm because of his script for Batman '89. Would that be correct?

Though the '89 film is not brilliant, Sam Hamm did write the Blind Justice story that ran from Detective Comics 598-600 which is really really good. I loved Cowan's art and the story was different for the average Batman tale (heavy focus on Bruce Wayne with a lot of new characters being introduced), so I'm willing to give it a go.

Sorry, I should have added a :wub:

I loved Blind Justice. Not overly fond of the art. Ending was a cop-out, iirc, but that’s ok. No loose ends.

I see parallels between Roy and Jean-Paul Valley, and Bonecrusher and Bane, so it’s got that going for it. An idea so good it got reused. And it’s got  that 70s batman, something-not-quite-right Gotham/NYC gritty thing going on.

18 hours ago, Flub said:

I just can't get over how expressive the art makes her. Especially the eyes.

The massive eyes and no nose/mouth combination is very very strangely cute, and it seems to have become her default expression when she's panicking or worrying about something and then you only see her face being drawn properly when she is expressing herself comfortably. That may be completely arse backwards but anyway, that's my take anyway.

So if that bit is in volume 8, I will be getting that book in due course (assuming the English and Japanese volume numbering correspond). I'm currently on book 4 which is set during the summer holidays initially, and then later on features a sports day of some description. Also a hilarious request from Komi to get Tadano to call her by her first name goes a bit awry when Najini suggests that Komi starts the ball rolling by calling Tadano by his first name.  It's just so damn adorable. :wub:

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Sorry, I should have added a :wub:

I loved Blind Justice. Not overly fond of the art. Ending was a cop-out, iirc, but that’s ok. No loose ends.

I see parallels between Roy and Jean-Paul Valley, and Bonecrusher and Bane, so it’s got that going for it. An idea so good it got reused. And it’s got  that 70s batman, something-not-quite-right Gotham/NYC gritty thing going on.

First person I've heard not liking Cowan's art.